My chiropracter broke me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
Or if I should do anything at all...

Last Monday, I went to a new chiropracter. Just opened close to my house. Much closer than my regular chiropracter. My second visit with the new guy. The first visit had not gone well either (spent the weekend with my head in the toilet from neck pain), but I figured I was pretty much a pretzel and just needed more work.

He was trying to adjust my shoulder, I guess, and was pushing hard and something cracked in my chest, right below my collar bone. It hurt. Bad. He said "What was that!?!" :new_shocked: I left, although I don't remember leaving or what I may have said to him. I'm pretty sure I called him an SOB.

The pain in my chest didn't get better, so I went to an MD. Turns out the chiropracter broke the cartiledge that holds at least two of my ribs together. It will hurt like this for 3 to 6 weeks and won't be healed for at least 8 weeks. Here's the kicker... When the MD told me what had happened, his exact words were, "Don't get too excited about it, these things happen." Really? I've never heard that before! Even my regular chiropracter, who has done what he can to put my neck back together until I heal more, wouldn't really say much about it other than I was really 'tweaked'. I think these guys cover for each other or something.

So now, I can't do chores, I can't show my ponies this summer, heck, I can't even pull up my own pants. Sitting at the 'puter for more than a few minutes is even uncomfortable. The breaks are on the right side, and I'm right handed. Darrin is being a great help. It's kind of strange how our roles have reversed for the time being.

Most people have told me to get a lawyer and sue, even my parents, who despise frivolous malpractice suits. I'm very fortunate in that I have great health insurance. I haven't gotten any bills yet, but I've met my deductible and figure I'm going to be out less than $100 for the MD visit, and I've paid the quack guy only $14. I have loads of sick leave that I've been hoarding for the transplant, so I'm not losing any wages. So I don't really see the point in sueing. I am going to submit a formal complaint to whoever it is that gives chiropracters their license in this state. I am mad as heck that this guy just cracked away the majority of my summer. It just seems that nothing that I could possibly do will change that.

Cripes, back to bed...

Miss you all, still holding the Garrisons in my prayers.

So sorry you had to go through this, don't know what advise to offer.

Here's the kicker... When the MD told me what had happened, his exact words were, "Don't get too excited about it, these things happen." Really? I've never heard that before! Even my regular chiropracter, who has done what he can to put my neck back together until I heal more, wouldn't really say much about it other than I was really 'tweaked'. I think these guys cover for each other or something.
Sounds to me more like he was biting his tongue and not saying "Guess you should have stayed with me, hmm?" I think his mama taught him that if you can't say something nice about the other guy, you shouldn't say anything at all. I give him points for restraint. :bgrin

I'm sure sorry this happened though, that's got to be the absolute pits. I hope you heal up sooner than expected.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the pain and such..........but, have you thought about asking him to come help do your chores?
default_yes.gif
:

I just went to one tonight for the first time. My neck is so screwed up I cant even hold my head up straight. My first and second vert are totally twisted oposit of each other.

Anyway they did have a paper to sign saying im aware of what could happen. And yes the thing with ribs is one of them.

I'm so sorry for you, (((HUGS))) and prayers for a fast recovery.

Yikes! :new_shocked: :no: That is too scary. Maybe you should stay away from chiropractors for a while, and just use a heating pad and aspirin...... I have a friend that goes to one, and I think he does pretty well, but he never does anything that extreme!!

I agree with Hobbyhorse 23, these guys are trying hard to be polite. They probably don't want to get sued by the guy who cracked your ribs, for calling him a quack!

Here's a good wish for you that you heal WAY faster than the doc thinks you will! :saludando:

Back in Jan, I was having a lot of upper back pain. I went to "get put back in" . As he worked on the upper part, my lower back cracked too. The next morning, I woke up to severe pain, and numbness on my right side. After xrays, cat scan, then finally and MRI, they found out I had a herniated disc, that was pinching nerves in my back. I know it was from being put in place. Yeah, he put me in a bad place-- painful.. They tried the cortizone injection, only made it worse. Now I live in pain everyday. They said only surgery, could possibly fix it. But having 2 young children, and my animals to take care of, I can't see being down that long. ANd then, only if the surgery can fix it, I've been told, it could make things worse.. So, needless to say, I won't ever let someone touch my back ever again. I know he's to blame, but they do cover up for each other. Because, I was told I must have done it that day. So, I do know what you mean, and how upset you feel. I'm still very upset, 6 months in pain everyday.. How would they like it if it was one of them???

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope you get some rest and heal up as fast & safely as you can. Bummer, not a good way to spend the summer, that is for darn sure.
default_unsure.png
:

I go to a chiropractor somewhat regularly--not every two weeks or anything, but if I am having problems & need an adjustment I don't hesitate to go. But, my chiropractor isn't at all rough. He will try to adjust something, and if it won't move, it won't move. He won't FORCE it to move like some will--I know some people that have gone to rough chiropractors, and they say those guys are determined to make an adjustment no matter what. That is just too rough for me.

A good chiropractor won't work on a patient that has a severe diskc problem; my mom is one of those people, and the chiropractor she used to go told her that he cannot treat her lower back any more. If there's a severe back condition, the chiropractor should request x-rays before he actually treats the patient.

That's a real downer that you got hurt this way. I hope you mend quickly! ( I can sympathize on the sore ribs, I've had cracked rib 3 different times.)

My Chiropractor was an Osteopath as well- you need NO qualifications to be a Chiropractor, just a shingle.

To be an Osteopath you need medical qualification.

Maybe that is the difference??

I did go to a Chiropractor who did Agility Dogs (I figured if he could do animals he was OK) and it HURT- I did not go back!!!

Sue the so- and so, and if you do not need it, give the money to Marty!!

But, think about it, if you had the money you could hire someone to do the horses and put the show animals with a trainer- SUE!!!

(and believe me, I do not say it lightly, I am not for all this "sue everyone" thing
default_smile.png
)

PS I am now a Horse Chiropractor- believe me you do NOT hurt a 16.2hh heavyweight Hunter with a bad back- you make it better!!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont believe in chiropractic. I have a cousin in kansas who went to one and ended up blind from having her neck adjusted. She did sue and win but that wont bring her sight back and she still has trouble using her right side. Even before this i was always told not to let them touch your neck as this is where most problems happen.

For sure you should file a complaint with the board there!!

In March I awoke one morning unable to move my head, arm and in severe pain. Kept thinking (for 3days) it would get better.

Went to the chiro. they did xrays and it seems I have a pinched nerve because my neck is out of line and my shoulder is badly out of place. I had never even noticed one shoulder higher than the other until that xray.

i have been going twice a week since march and am finally starting to live without the headaches, pains, etc.

I hadn't realized how achey I was, until I wasn't anymore. Make sense???

I sympathize with the cracked rib. My big horse gave me one last summer. PAINFUL.

I think there are alot more questions to ask, like, are there any complaints filed about this doc? Is this something that can be associated with this type of adjustment, etc. If you find there may be fault on his part, then do what you think is right.

And always, always, research any doctor before you go to them.

I drive 1 1/2 hrs. for daughters ortho. 1 hr. different direction, sons dermatologist, 30 minutes for my doc and chiro.

Hope you feel better soon. And although I never believed in chiro. I do now. Get better and find someone who is qualified and cares. My chiro. is a husband and wife team and they are so great. We are having dinner with them next week.

If your mechanic blew up your car while fixing it, he would have to pay to correct it right, if your Dr screws up, he has malpractice insurance to pony up, if I hurt someone trying to help them, they can sue me.....I am NOT sue happy, hate the fact that the world is BUT go after this SOB. Think about the next poor person he hurts, and the next, and the next.....A complaint just won't save anyone or help you. Sue him, I have 5 tender herniated discs, with Reiki and a change of life style I can function quite well. I cracked 3 ribs a few yrs ago and it is not fun, just breathing hurts, forget deep sleep. Go git him Honey, I hope you win.

Sorry for your pain. Most doc will not talk poorly about another one. If you are still having pain I would go to the ER and make sure you have X-rays taken. If action isn't taken for his malpractice to you then he will be able to hurt someone else even worse than he has you.
default_yes.gif
: I hope you get to feeling better!

Fran

I am sorry you had to go through that.

The one I went too never forced either and my body can be tough sometimes.

Another word of warning,, if you have nerve damage or have scoliosis.. don't allow them at any time to pull your head up, to straighten your neck for any reason.

I would file a complaint with the County that Chiro is practicing in. Have them pull his licence before he hurts someone else. Person doesn't know what they are doing.

Very frightening what they can do to you in a split second..sorry for your pain. I was a serious skeptic for years but have been going to a chiropractor for over a year now and must say it has helped me quite a bit. Have had neck problems - and headaches - for years, but I have more range of motion now in my neck, and less pain, than in many years. I do sort of cringe though when he does my neck - still makes me nervous after all this time although I do have confidence in my chiropractor.

I've used them on horses too for years, lots of success there and yes it's harder to hurt a 1000 pound horse but I took a mare to one years ago who was very physical - cranked the mare's head around past her withers and said stand back now, she may jump. No kidding. She was never quite right again.

Jan

Latest posts

Back