Mushing/sledding (for dogs)?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
If I remember correctly there are at least two people on here that do dog sledding! I was wondering if you could tell me anything and everything about it? It is something that my partner and I are very interested in getting into with our next malamute.

Where do you begin? Can you sled with one dog or do you need a minimum number? Any info would be great and even favourite websites!

it's been many years since i had sled dogs but i sure remember the fun we had! i had 2 siberian huskies, a friend of mine had 3. sometimes we raced, other times we hooked all 5 dogs to the same sled and took turns.

i don't know if one mal would be able to pull you on a sled but much would depend on the size/strength of the dog, your size and the surface you are on. my 2 sibes had no trouble pulling me all day long but i'm a lightweight and i always took them out on firmly packed snow.

this is how we started...

flagonwagon-1.jpg

once they were used to pulling a small wagon, we graduated to regular racing harnesses and they were hitched, one at a time, to a small car tire. we gradually increased the size/weight of the tire until they were pulling a fairly heavy one.

there are lots of good books for beginning mushers. can't think of any off the top of my head but i'm sure google could help you out. it's important to take it very slowly because pulling weight with a harness is much different than dragging you down the street by collar/leash.
default_wink.png

this is me with all 5 dogs. i didn't really have big hair, we were going at a pretty good clip when my friend took this picture so my hair was blowing in the wind.
default_biggrin.png

Sleddogs-1.jpg

the red sibe at the right of the pic is my female, in the swing position. my male is the one in the wheel position in the back. most of the time, my female was our lead dog. she was sharp as a tack and learned commands very quickly. my male was always a wheel dog because he was so powerful.
default_smile.png

Wow Charlene, thanks for posting those pictures, they sure brought back memories for me of when my Stepdad had sleddogs. We got a Siberian pup from him who got BIG-- he was about 100 pounds in his prime, and was a wheel dog for a couple of seasons with Pa's team. Pa did eight-dog teams, and those dogs were SO excited when he'd start getting ready for an outing! They just loved it! I don't know where the few pictures are that I have though. I wonder if Pa has any and knows where they are?

I started training my Siberian (his name was Shadow, he died at age 13 several years ago) to pull by having him pull me on my bike. Not exactly the safest way to do it, but he never wrecked us. Then he pulled the kids on a sled with one of us leading him, before he started with the team. Pulling is so much in their nature, it's generally pretty easy to get them started, but I do agree, get a book or two to help you out. Have fun, and post pics ok?
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back