Mules

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
My horse hateing hubby came to me the other day and said he would really like a mini mule and see what I can do to find a small jack to breed to my mare.

Needless to say I was shocked
new_shocked.gif
and gave it a few days to see if he was seriouse about it. Well he brought it up again today. So I called around and did a barter trade on some farrier work with a customer of mine who owns a tiny 29 inch registered gray mini jack. Saturday I will be bringing him home and getting him preped to breed my mare who is a 33.75 inch bay.

Is birthing a mule the same as a mini foal? And is there anything I need to watch out for breeding this cross? And do any of you own a mule and hows there tempements?

Donkey foals are carried a year so I would assume that the mule foal would be carred between 11 & 12 months.

A friend of mine has a National Champion Jack that happend to get out of the pastre when she was gone and the lady that took care of the horses was afraid to go put him back up so needless to say she thought she might have 3 mares in foal to him.

Well this spring the first mare that had been cycling when the jack got out had a beautiful little bright Red Mule and I've already claimed him but the other mares foaled mini babies.

Donkey jacks are aggressive breeders and will bite when holding on so watch your jack. I would only hand breed so that I could have more control. I know of only one person here in Central OK that does intentionally breed for Mules and I have owned one of their little boys--he was a doll. The friend I was talking about bought their little girl mule they brought to the sale last year.

Also little mules are sterile but the boys must still be gelded.

Mules are what I do. I raise miniature mules on purpose! My jack was raised with mares since he was a yearling. He won't touch a jenny.

*Mules come from mares so they carry 11 months, just like a horse foal.

*Jacks can be very aggressive when breeding and can hurt you very easily. You must be VERY careful and alert at all times. If you pasture breed, your mare is going to be bitten. Jacks like it rough, the rougher the better.

*Mules are mules no matter what size they are. They typically bond to one person and will be loyal to that one. I try not to bond with the ones I intend to sell just for that reason.

*Mules are much like their father, the donkey. They are very intelligent and need lots of time and patience for training. You cannot force a mule (or donkey) to do something they don't want to do or think will hurt them. Give them time and let them learn it is OK to do what you want them to do.

*Some jacks won't touch a mare and some mares won't go near a jack. You have to watch and see what's going on. If the mare won't stand for a jack, I use a stallion to tease the mare from the front and bring my jack in from behind when she (and he) is ready. Sometimes I'm there for an hour waiting for Kilroy to "be ready"
rolleyes.gif

*GELD the johns before they are very old!!!!!! I like to get mine done before they are 3 months old. I'm dealing with a mistake right now.

*Mules are extremely strong animals. Stronger than you'd think. At 3 months, my first mule was fighting being trimmed on his last leg. We laid him down and 200# hubby laid across him so I could finish. Little 30# mule threw him off and let us know he would have none of that.

I'm here and willing to answer any questions you have. I love my mules! I have much more info for you but won't bore the horse community with it all! You can email direct if you want, [email protected]

My mistake: Pepper is an adorable 2 yr old now. Unfortunately, he was sold to some non-mule people. I told them he needed to be gelded ASAP. OK.......First excuse he wasn't dropped, then he had trouble breathing and the vet was worried about sedation. Then, when they decided it was time (as a long yearling) 3 people couldn't hold him to get him tranq'd. They said they had him hanging from the rafters
new_shocked.gif
no.gif
. Then they decided to buy a mare and bring her in and of course, she gets stalled next to him. I picked him up and he's home now. He will be gelded on July 1 and will spend the next 3-4 months in rehab here learning that he isn't a stud and respect for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that reminds me of the mini donkey I had. I think he was 9 months when I had him gelded. Vet, her assistant, hubby and me, and we could NOT tranq him... vet finally got it in the muscle and had to wait for that to take affect, then another fight WHILE SEDATED to get it in the vein! And he was AWAKE right as she was finishing and UP right when we let him up! It was crazy! (he was never studdy or anything luckily, and a good boy, later had him trained to drive and he does well, although lazy lol, has a new home now)

Oh that reminds me of the mini donkey I had. I think he was 9 months when I had him gelded. Vet, her assistant, hubby and me, and we could NOT tranq him... vet finally got it in the muscle and had to wait for that to take affect, then another fight WHILE SEDATED to get it in the vein! And he was AWAKE right as she was finishing and UP right when we let him up! It was crazy! (he was never studdy or anything luckily, and a good boy, later had him trained to drive and he does well, although lazy lol, has a new home now)

I don't know what I just did:wacko

I find this an interesting topic. One question on gelding Johns. I thought they were sterile. Do you geld them because they have the same carictoristic of stallions. Or are the actually functioning and there is no sperm?

Just curious.

They act just like stallions, well, like donkey jacks I assume, so it's much better to geld something that acts like that but is incapable of reproducing ;)

LISTEN to minimule!!!!!!!

Like all animals, each has their own personality but, the basics of the animal remains. Donkeys like ROUGH sex. They like to chase, bite, mount when the female and stopped and submitted. Plus the donkeys -- while looking lean and frail -- are actually like the Incredible Hulk!!
default_wacko.png
WHERE did all that strength COME FROM??? We're talking 10X that of a mini
default_laugh.png
Just don't be caught off guard.

They take far, far, far more patience to train but once they trust you and learn something it is never forgotten. For the most part, sweet and loving animals who really want to be with you.

OH, they are great "helpers" when you are doing anything -- so, don't lay a hammer down and expect it to be in same spot when you reach for it...or you bag of nails, your hat, your...get the picture?
default_biggrin.png

I'll Echo Min MUle knows her stuff! I have a gelding donkey and he was a jack when I got him. He wasn't mean as in come find you in hte pen, but if you corvered him to catch him, he'd grab your leg or foot and skae it like a dog! We gelded him and he's a sweet old toot now. But incredibly strong, I put a stud chain on his nose becuase without it, he'll duck that head and can drag my 100lb body where ever he chooses. My 280ish lb stud could try that and if I plante dmy feet he'd be flipped in no time, not the 220 lbs donk! LOL They are fun though!

Well, heck! You just convinced me NOT to breed for a mini-mule... I thought it would be a 'kick' didn't know it really would be a KICK! lol

Also, I really didn't want to breed a jack to one of my mares (didn't want one of my mares 'tied' up for a year not having a horse foal). I'd rather have a jenny to breed one of my stallions to. However, I'm still doing the research. We have a cremello, a smoky grulla and a silver bay dun stallion right now. The grulla has a splash gene and is homozygous for black... So, what can I expect, colorwise, from any one of the stallions bred to a regular colored jenny?

So, do mini donks have the same strength?

Someone in Kansas breeds mini donks and she has 'ivory' colored ones... They're really gorgeous.

Kari

I finally did go pick up the jack the other day and he is such a sweetheart. Stubbren but sweet. I have teased my mare with him and neither one has NO intrest in each other. I will be teasing her with my stud here in a little bit and see about then.

I took a look at minimules website and learned a bit about mules which is interesting. Also the helpful emails was very nice from a few of you.

I think if my mare dose accept him, and dose take, it would be very exciting to see and have the end resault!

We have a jack and loves all the girls, jennets or mares. Donkeys usually just take longer to get started on the breeding process as far as I have seen in all the years of breeding donkeys. Good luck with this. Are you going to Midland to show this year?

April

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back