Mule takes down mountain lion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching). Very, very bad decision...

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in the air to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided he wanted a piece of that lion. That's when all heck broke loose... for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass. Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat. The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over a couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, than whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple (that were stunned in silence) and stood there ready to continue his ride... as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife got off these 4...

FWABRAVE.jpg

sorry the pics are so small

:aktion033: Remind me not to mess with that mule! A story like this goes to show how loyal our 4 legged companions can be!
default_yes.gif
: Thank God for the mule! I bet his owners are never going to sell him now!

Thats amazing! I heard donkeys/ mules can be real tough. I guess so!!!

Those are interesting pictures. I saw them a few years ago, I think it was, and someone posted that it wasn't what it appeared to be, but who knows the real story...?

Anyway, I gather that mules don't care much for Cougars.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

I think the whole thing is disgusting.

I also saw the video a few years ago and the cat was obviously exhausted and cornered- a set up hob.

If this had been a mule in a pasture defending his pasture mates I would have said Good for him, I also do not think he would have stood much chance against a fresh cougar.

Just another "Dog fight" you are quick to attack anyone who is involved in that sort of thing, and that is all this is.

DISGUSTING!!! :no:

Whats bad about the internet/email is everyone thinks everything is true. If its in print, it has to be true. My mom is emailing me at least once a week in a tizzy because of something she read. She's been on for about 5 years now and still doesnt get that email forwards are junk and spam :eek: . Just as there are people writing out worms/virus' , there are people writing junk email. Whether to promote hate: anti-islam , promote their own view:political or just to promote whatever:like this cougar story.

You wont make any money by forwarding emails. Your 'signature' wont matter on an email. Political ones are the worst, as their ignorance will effect the world. They contain just enough truth to sound real, but generally arent true and that changes peoples views so they are closed to anything new that may be true.

As said--real photos, story created.....I wish this thing would quit circulating! The cat was already dead-shot-before they let the mule go at it...I fell for it, too, the first time it made the rounds, but the truth has since come out.

Margo

I have had this in my email so many times in the past too. It is a made up story...take a good look at the pictures, on some you will see reins hanging and on others there are no reins, someone just has alot of time on there hands and is good with photography. It is true that donkeys are some "tough characters" to deal with as far as coyotes/mountain lions go, but not all protect either. A large rancher we know, will throw a dead carcuss of a prey animal in with his mules and donkeys so they learn to stomp and "get it" so to actually take pictures like these with a already dead animal and the mule shaking it, is really not that hard to do, if the animals have been trained to take one down. Corinne

I've seen the real photos in person. The fellow that owns the mule is a friend of Hubby's uncle. It did happen. The photos are in a restaruant in Alpine, AZ. That's a small town next to where we go hunting.

Well whether it is real or not, if you have ever read up on Mules, they will protect their owners, they are a very loyal animal. That is what I read anyway. So I would think that this is possible......
default_unsure.png
:

"These pictures and the story about the lion-killing-mule circulated for quite a while on the Internet before Steven Richards got the real story and published it in Western Mule Magazine.

The mule's name is Berry and it belongs to 25-year old Jody Anglin from New Mexico.

Anglin says he enjoys hunting mountain lions and is usually accompanied by a cadre of hunting dogs.

In 1998 he got Berry to assist with the lion hunts.

On the first hunt, Berry was attracted to the carcass of a lion that Anglin had shot and sort of nuzzled it and nibbled at it.

With each new kill, however, Berry got more animated and couldn't wait to get to the dead lions.

The pictures in the eRumor were taken in 2002 or 2003 and show Berry toying with a lion that was already dead, not killing it.

Someone along the way created the story about the Montana couple, the stalking lion, and the fanciful descriptions of the pictures." Corinne

Never heard that before not sure l'd want to cross a mule on a bad day then.. :bgrin

I saw this a year or so ago it was pretty amazing....mules are darn smart critters

A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching). Very, very bad decision...

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in the air to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided he wanted a piece of that lion. That's when all heck broke loose... for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass. Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat. The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over a couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, than whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple (that were stunned in silence) and stood there ready to continue his ride... as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife got off these 4...

FWABRAVE.jpg

sorry the pics are so small

As said--real photos, story created.....I wish this thing would quit circulating! The cat was already dead-shot-before they let the mule go at it...I fell for it, too, the first time it made the rounds, but the truth has since come out.

Margo
Margo is right guys. Picture has been around a long time.

Latest posts

Back