MUD, MUD, MUD!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
I AM HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME WITH THE MUD! IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN PUT IN MY SHELTERS OTHER THAN SAND TO HELP HARDEN THINGS UP? SOMEONE HAD MENTIONED BEFORE USING WOOD PELLETS? DO YOU THINK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WOOD PELLETS LIKE USED IN A PELLET STOVE OR SHAVINGS? THE MUD IS SO BAD IT IS HARD TO LET THEM OUT MOST OF THE TIME BUT I HATE KEEPING THEM CONFINED TOO. THEY ARE USED TO BEING OUTSIDE, AND I LIKE THEM BEING OUT BECAUSE IT HELPS ALOT WITH THE COST OF SHAVINGS. I HAVE DONE THE SAND THING BEFORE BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO HELP ENOUGH, WITHIN A FEW WEEKS IT SEEMS TO BE BACK AGAIN. THE GROUND HAS NOT FROZE HERE YET SO I KNOW THAT WILL HELP ALOT FOR THE WINTER BUT WHEN SPRING COMES AGAIN I AM BACK IN THE SAME BOAT. :no: I KNOW THERE IS PROBABLY NOTHING I CAN DO TO ELIMINATE IT BUT MAYBE THERE IS SOMETHING I CAN DO TO MASK THE WORST SPOTS?THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS
default_smile.png

You may not be able to get a hold of this stuff, but we put granite screenings under our barn and in shelters to keep the mud and water from getting in too badly.

It's like sand, but packs better to stay where you put it. I live in the granite capitol of the world so it was fairly easy for me to get.

Good luck!

Stephanie

limestone screenings are a Godsend for us! Initially we put some breaker rock down, then a thick layer of the screenings on top. Next year we intend to do the general areas outside our shelters too.

THANKS! I WILL CHECK THESE TWO THINGS OUT! THANKS FOR THE REPLIES! :bgrin

I use pellets in my stalls for bedding, but I would not put them in a muddy area. Any organic material will eventually decompose and turn into even MORE mud. Not a good idea. I would second the opinions of the other posters and use some kind of rock screenings, even better if you can put it over a layer of bigger gravel or stone to help with drainage.

I wish you asked this back in early fall so you wouldn't have this problem.

Not sure what "screenings" are but here it might be the same thing that we call "chat"

It is crushed limestone, sand, and crushed gravels........it will form a good surface and pack down and the mud will not be able to seep up through it. It will almost set up and look like concrete but it will not be that hard at all and the horse's feet will be find on it. You can ask for it at your local concrete company or wherever you get loads of dirt from. It sells by the dump truck load here and is very reasonable for what you get. I have used it here for years to build walking paths all over the place where we used to have mud and I highly recommend it.

Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back