Minis in therapeutic programs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawgirl

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any therapeutic riding programs that use miniature horses?

The therapeutic riding program that I used to volunteer for had one miniature, but they did not use him for riding. He was handy for things like showing how to groom or measure a horse.

I am currently involved in a program that uses many of the horses that have retired from that center (see Angel Horses in my signature below). Because the horses are retired, there is little or no riding, so most activities would be appropriate for minis. One program they offfer is an after school program for middle school students that have little or no experience with horses. I have taken two of our minis to that program for the students to lead over a trail course and have also given them all cart rides. There are photos on our website (www.ontargetminiatures.com) in the gallery. At least one student went from no horse experience at all to now wanting her own horse some day.

Mini are good for getting the children comfortable with horses,start small and work their way up to the big horses
default_biggrin.png

mine goes to the hospitals... he is 36 inches and sturdy , some very small children can ride him , but he is mostly for hospital work...contact Delta society . this is the operation that certified Blackie in California where I use to live... he passed this exam only after a LOT of training and socializing , and he is naturally extreamly calm. Good luck
default_smile.png

A couple months ago I donated a mini to a theraputic center. He is still getting evaluated and trained for their programs. They do work at Sr citizen centers with troubled youth (this is a new program with the dentention hall there) as well as disabled people. He will be used as a lead line horse (he is 38 inches) and to particpate in the trail classes and other classes they have at benefit shows as well as be part of all their programs as his training increases.

It worked out perfect and he has a wonderful home and will be doing good helping others could not have asked for any more

There is a therapeutic program in Sisters, Oregon that uses a mini. They use him primarily as an "on the ground" handling horse for kids who are both mentally and physically challenged. Once the child is comfortable around the mini, they graduate to riding either a calm pony or small horse.

Latest posts

Back