Minimally expressed dwarf being bred...advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've dealt with foaling out 34" mares that had dwarves.

One was a bred mare we bought many years ago. We almost lost the mare, the foal was breech and cost us a TON in emergency vet fees. Foal was dead, thank God.

The other was a client brought their mare for me to foal out for them since they both worked. That was THE hardest foaling I ever had to deal with! Ears first, no legs, Head tucked down between front legs. Got it out alive but had to have the vet out to put it down. It tore my heart open having to hold down that dwarf baby while the vet stabbed a needle into it's heart (the other shots were not getting the job done)

I'm saying, if your friend thinks a 24" mare is going to live through that, and that it'll cost only $150, I think she's wrong.

I'm sorry if some here thing I'm being too harsh, but what I care about is the LIVES of the animals and the SUFFERING they endure because of the stupidity of their owners! I care more about the lives of these dear creatures that we caused to be in this world than I care about some money hungry person's feelings.

Sorry, but that's how I feel. To me animals are feeling beings, not "oops, this one died so I'll just buy another one".
I feel the same way! No need to say sorry.

Her parents seem beyond clueless if they have more then one stud and just keep buying more in the hopes that their daughter's tiny mare will get in foal. She might not care about the possible vet bill, but I bet her parents would. Maybe try to drop some hints to them on how horrible this situation has the potential of being (if she does get in foal), or print up some pictures of the worst looking dwarves you can find and show them to her and her parents. Ask her who would pay big bucks for a foal that looks like them. I work with teenagers and it sounds to me like she is still living with the idea that everything turns out perfectly. She's in for a rude awakening when she learns that reality rarely turns out that way. I'm disppointed in her parents for being (remaining) so naive and uneducated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way you could talk to the parents, privately? This would seem to be the way to go. Send them to..

http://www.minibreeders.com/horsieheaven/

and explain how much these little souls cost, to just keep alive until they finally had to go. Explain the pain they go through, only to often meet a bitter end. This especially with an owner who doesn't do all the necessary vet work, during their lives.

Maybe give the parents a bump in the bum, by telling them if they do sell a known dwarf, without telling the buyer all the ramifications, then they could be sued. Maybe that would help.

Lizzie

You say she is 16? Well, that explains her stupidity and feels that she knows everything. (not all teenagers are like this, but so many are).

Maybe you should post on this forum and ask people what the cost is to have a vet assist with a foaling. Then you can send all of the responses to her. There is no way that she can have a vet out and "help" foal for $150. First, mares usually foal in the middle of the night...so it would be an after hours call. If the foal is a dwarf, it will really be stuck, so there is the possibility that the mare will have to be taken to the vets office to have the foal removed. Drugs to help stop the pain, drugs to numb the rear so she stops pushing (so she does not rupture her uterus), it could take a few hours to get the foal out, but most likely they will not be able to get the foal out of a 24" Mini and she will have to be put down. Now no Mini mare, no foal and at least a $500 bill (if not a lot more). Even if the mare was not a dwarf or the stud, at 24" who in their right mind would breed her?

Having a normal, tiny foal removed from a 28" mare that i had vet checked as roomy enough for foaling cost about $600, not including flushes. That was just a few weeks ago. That was tough enough for the vet-i just can't imagine a dwarf mare with a dystocia being able to survive, especially if she's an achondroplasia-in that case i don't think she'd survive any birth, normal or not.

So...the mare and the stallion have dwarf characteristics. Maybe they aren't dwarfs. Maybe they just look that way. Suppose they have a foal that is not affected?

Ever see a 24" mare try to give birth to a potentially 34" foal? Because that is one scenario that is more than possible. Without knowing what size the mare's sire and dam and the sires sire and dam were, you have NO way of knowing how big the foal will be.

Maybe ask her if it is that simple why does she think more people are not doing it?

Maybe you just need to send her a link to this thread so she can read what people have to say? Unless you are worried that she would be angry that you spoke up? I would certainly talk to her parents- SOMEBODY needs a bit of education!

Maybe since she is 16 and the parents don't have a clue then a call to your local humane society will send them out to her place and they can EDUCATE her about abuse and WHAT that can cost her parents. As far as I am concerned allowing a 16 yr old know it all needs a good slap across the back of her head for an U-OH moment cause this stupid girl hasn't got a clue! Oh wait then that would be child abuse?

My first mini was a grade mini dwarf. I gelded him and he is now a happy, spoiled mini whose best friend is an El Paca (sp). Drawfs can live wonderful lives as companion animals but should never be bred. My little one actually visited patients in the hospital and I have a picture of him with our CEO in his office. If dwarfs are relatively healthy, they can live very productive lives, but again they should NEVER be bred

Thanks for replying everyone, you have been a great help. I may have some what gotten through to her.... but I am honestly thinking at this point that the mare is sterile. A friend also told her about this forum so Id like to delete this... if possible in any way? Hopefully she will come on here and post a topic or something about her mare and stallion... and we can all post like crazy on it!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back