Miniature Horses at nursing homes..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
I'd really like to take one or more of our Miniatures to some local nursing homes or hospitals in the future, but I was wondering do they have to be certified like dogs do? What about the flooring, do they need shoes of some kind? I'd really love some info on doing this if you guys have any
default_smile.png
Thanks!

I've done nursing homes with mine a few times. If the floor is tile you can wrap some vet wrap around the hooves if you don't have some boots. It will last long enough for your visit. If you decide you want to visit often, you can invest in some boots.

I've never needed anything except permission from the director to visit.

Be careful about photographs of your visit going to websites or newspapers. Some residents feel it is a violation of their privacy. Ask first.

Do not let the residents give snacks or treats and try to time your visit BEFORE lunch or supper so the patients don't smell too much like food.

When you first go in, people want to cluster around all excited. It would be better if you could enter unnoticed at first so your horse has a chance to get used to being inside.

My horse has never had an accident inside but you might bring along a plastic grocery bag for a quick pickup if necessary.

Watch out for glass doors. Your horse could run into one because he can't tell it's a door.

I've never had insurance. It's something I'm beginning to be concerned about but if you have permission from the nursing home, their insurance should cover you since you are visiting "officially".

Have fun!

If you go to our website, www.stardustacresminis.com and click on special pics you can view a video of Boss our 25" stallion visiting an ACLF. Their floor was carpet so he did not wear shoes but I had midified two pairs of baby shoes from Walmart with shoe goo to fit him previously. We were invited by a resident with the Directors blessing and they arranged for the media to be there. I did bring baby carrots so that he would be fed what I wanted and not what a resident might think appropriate.

Marsha is correct about the mob scene. I came in a back door because there were about 100 residents gathered in the living area. Boss amazed me and did not have any accidents. I had purchased adult diapers to try to modify that for him. They didn't work. He walked out of it before we even got to the door. I think he held it for the hour just to make sure he never had the humiliating experience of having to wear them.

I kept him on a very close lead and knelt down beside him whenever he was in very close contact. We have comprehensive farm insurance which has liability coverage at all events like parade, shows, etc. but you never know.

Overall, it was a terrific experience. I think he enjoyed it and I know the residents were thrilled. They now want to bring a busload to our farm regularly. Don't know if I'm ready for that yet.

Ruth

thank you so much for the info you guys
default_smile.png
this makes me want to try a to visit even more! Our horses will need to be more exposed to groups of people and indoor areas before I would even atempt a nursing home, but even in the next 2 years I think it'd be something amazing to try out. I know those elderly and hospitalized people get so bored with the same routine they'd be so happy to have a little horse visit them
default_smile.png
Again, thanks guys I'll be sure to visit your website too Ruth.

I took Mazie--then 7 months--into an assisted living place. The activities person had been bugging me for years to bring a horse in. I warned her they can't be "potty trained." She said they had vacuums to extract anything from carpets. Mazie was fabulous. The one tricky part was much to my amazement, their carpet was green with little brown rectangles--looked exactly like grain.
default_rolleyes.gif
It took Mazie a bit to realize she wasn't going to taste anything. There were about 9 walkers coming at her--but she never spooked. She did have a loose poop on a carpet--but the activities person just stuck a chair over it. After visiting one area, we went through some hallways and through doors with loud beeps to the Alzheimer's unit to get more muzzle kisses.
default_yes.gif

The sad part is the person I had worked with for three years got written up for having the horse in the building. A health violation. She said the director hated her--that it had nothing to do with Mazie. She was fired months later and has found another position. She's a horse person and I miss her.

It took me a bit to involve myself with the new person---but I took my students in and she seems nice. They are coming here Wednesday for the 4th annual visit to Little Church Minis.
default_yes.gif
In addition to muzzle kisses and lemonade, there will be an obstacle class demo, a lunging demo, and Rosie is going to dance for them. We were hoping to be ready for a ground driving demo, but we decided to skip that part due to time and it's supposed to be 89* Wednesday. For photos of the visits--visit my website.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back