mini mare's mane and forlock falling out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wtgr36

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced mane and forlock hair loss? Our mini mare is loosing alot of her mane and forlock hair. I can literally gently pull on either and get almost a handful of hair. This happens anywhere on her mane and forlock, so it doesn't seem to be from rubbing in one spot. Any info would be appriciated. Thank you

Hey,

we have 2 mini mares right now doing the same thing,so we called and asked a vet. He said they can loose thier hair like that if they are lacking vitamins(and since our mares are bred,he sugessted that we give them some Mare Care)...is your mare bred? if so i think this might work for her,as we have noticed alot less of thier manes and tails coming out....
default_smile.png

Hey,we have 2 mini mares right now doing the same thing,so we called and asked a vet. He said they can loose thier hair like that if they are lacking vitamins(and since our mares are bred,he sugessted that we give them some Mare Care)...is your mare bred? if so i think this might work for her,as we have noticed alot less of thier manes and tails coming out....
default_smile.png
Thanks for the reply, I'll try the mare care. I do have a call into our vet. We bought this mare in April, she was exposed to a stud in late Jan/Feb so she may or not be bred. Our vet didn't want to do a preg test unless he knew exactly when she as bred. The previous owers are no longer returning calls.

Hey,we have 2 mini mares right now doing the same thing,so we called and asked a vet. He said they can loose thier hair like that if they are lacking vitamins(and since our mares are bred,he sugessted that we give them some Mare Care)...is your mare bred? if so i think this might work for her,as we have noticed alot less of thier manes and tails coming out....
default_smile.png
We only have Mare Plus avail here, running out to buy some now. How much are you giving your mini's? Ours weighs 217, put a call into vet for amount to modify for her, but haven't heard back yet

Well Mare Plus and Mare Kare are the same thing. i think the only difference is ones cheaper...our mare that was bred in march(her mane was coming out alot more than the other)she weights right around 400lbs.shes a stocky 37in.we give her 2/3rds of the scoop/cup full,so not a whole scoop. the other mare doing it weights around 340lbs and she gets half of the scoop...so i think for your mare 1/3 of that scoop would be fine,but your vet might go ahead and recomend half of it....hope this helps!....do you have a stud to tease her? just curious...
default_rolleyes.gif

Well Mare Plus and Mare Kare are the same thing. i think the only difference is ones cheaper...our mare that was bred in march(her mane was coming out alot more than the other)she weights right around 400lbs.shes a stocky 37in.we give her 2/3rds of the scoop/cup full,so not a whole scoop. the other mare doing it weights around 340lbs and she gets half of the scoop...so i think for your mare 1/3 of that scoop would be fine,but your vet might go ahead and recomend half of it....hope this helps!....do you have a stud to tease her? just curious...
default_rolleyes.gif
Our vet recommended 1/2 of that, as you said. Thanks. We don't have a stud around to tease her. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Yesterday she was eating, she kicked at her stomach at bit, and did this thing with her back legs, crossed and uncrossed them kind of quickly. Thought maybe she was feeling some quickening? Checked her bowel sounds, they are good, she has an appetite, and loped around tossing her head as a dog was running around her. So that put my mind at ease about colic, although she is watched closely everday. I was told she had 4 foals before, so I didn't think any quickening would surprise her at this point. She is also eating grass hay 2x day and platform pellets 1x has a mineral block, utd on everything, otherwise seems healthy and happy. She is allowed to graze a bit 2x a week. The vet says she's healthy, that she shouldn't be lacking unless she is in foal, but past the 120 test as she was exposed in Feb by previous owner.

default_rolleyes.gif
Our vet recommended 1/2 of that, as you said. Thanks. We don't have a stud around to tease her. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Yesterday she was eating, she kicked at her stomach at bit, and did this thing with her back legs, crossed and uncrossed them kind of quickly. Thought maybe she was feeling some quickening? Checked her bowel sounds, they are good, she has an appetite, and loped around tossing her head as a dog was running around her. So that put my mind at ease about colic, although she is watched closely everday. I was told she had 4 foals before, so I didn't think any quickening would surprise her at this point. She is also eating grass hay 2x day and platform pellets 1x has a mineral block, utd on everything, otherwise seems healthy and happy. She is allowed to graze a bit 2x a week. The vet says she's healthy, that she shouldn't be lacking unless she is in foal, but past the 120 test as she was exposed in Feb by previous owner.

Well it does sound like shes in foal!i wouldnt doubt it. and no it doesnt sound like shes colicing as long as she is still pooping there shoudnt be anything to worry about.our mare is due in Feb.it was a more of an accidental breeding as we were trying to wait until April/May,but we had had them all running together and didnt think anything of them coming into heat in March(even though we knew we just thought they were bred from the year before as they didnt come in after Aug. of last year)but after we saw the stud on her we seperated them only to find out that someone had left the other side of his gate open,so while we had left for a week he was out with the mares.the person looking after them didnt think anything of it...so now we have a foal due when its cold!!! and 2 more we bought about a month ago and we were told they werent bred and all of a sudden within that month they have gotten huge!! and they are starting to udder...soooo this is gonna be kinda scary as the one mare is 32in and we werent planning on EVER breeding her....and shes a maiden!so at least your mare has had foals and will know what to do on her own and you shouldnt have any probs...GOOD LUCK!
default_biggrin.png

default_unsure.png
I just went through this with my mare. she lost a lot of hair , and I did the full bloodwork pannel on her thinking she had a serious problem...test result came back 100% normal, all hormone and minerals were fine...she is also shedding like crazy right now..I am going to say its a seasonal , or tempature change in the weather , because we cant find anything wrong with her.

default_rolleyes.gif

Well it does sound like shes in foal!i wouldnt doubt it. and no it doesnt sound like shes colicing as long as she is still pooping there shoudnt be anything to worry about.our mare is due in Feb.it was a more of an accidental breeding as we were trying to wait until April/May,but we had had them all running together and didnt think anything of them coming into heat in March(even though we knew we just thought they were bred from the year before as they didnt come in after Aug. of last year)but after we saw the stud on her we seperated them only to find out that someone had left the other side of his gate open,so while we had left for a week he was out with the mares.the person looking after them didnt think anything of it...so now we have a foal due when its cold!!! and 2 more we bought about a month ago and we were told they werent bred and all of a sudden within that month they have gotten huge!! and they are starting to udder...soooo this is gonna be kinda scary as the one mare is 32in and we werent planning on EVER breeding her....and shes a maiden!so at least your mare has had foals and will know what to do on her own and you shouldnt have any probs...GOOD LUCK!
default_biggrin.png

Ok, so no colic!!! Yeah!

While feeding her today, I was sitting quietly and watching, and saw some "quickening" some little kicks three or four times, as she herself, took a look at her tummy! She is also starting to udder. I have ordered a wee foal urine preg kit, (Oh Well...)but know what I saw...I was a Labor and delivery nurse for years, and there's no mistaking those little kicks! I am so excited, know that she was exposed to a 30" black stud in Feb, and she has had at least four foals that I know of...so, my only concern is that she will foal in Jan/Early Feb....which is cold. My first choice would be a spring foal....but that being said, I will shopping for a cute little foal blanket as well.....I have no idea what this little one would look like as my mini mare has grayed out, and is 14yrs old. She is 38" and the stud is black and 30"....I love surprises, any guesses?

Ok, so no colic!!! Yeah!
While feeding her today, I was sitting quietly and watching, and saw some "quickening" some little kicks three or four times, as she herself, took a look at her tummy! She is also starting to udder. I have ordered a wee foal urine preg kit, (Oh Well...)but know what I saw...I was a Labor and delivery nurse for years, and there's no mistaking those little kicks! I am so excited, know that she was exposed to a 30" black stud in Feb, and she has had at least four foals that I know of...so, my only concern is that she will foal in Jan/Early Feb....which is cold. My first choice would be a spring foal....but that being said, I will shopping for a cute little foal blanket as well.....I have no idea what this little one would look like as my mini mare has grayed out, and is 14yrs old. She is 38" and the stud is black and 30"....I love surprises, any guesses?
Well im pretty sure you see movement at 7months....so it sounds like shes at least 7 months along!!
default_laugh.png
looks like shes gonna have an end of Dec./Jan foal!!BUT if she is starting to udder.....than thats saying shes within about 8 weeks..
default_wacko.png
...could you put some pics of her on here so i can see what she looks like? does she seem to be a little overweight?i know that if they are overweight they will use some fat on thier udder and it makes them look like they are "baggin up".... is her base color a grey? if she is i would say the foal will probaby be between the parents height(i say....34-35",depends on if the stallion produces small foals)and i say dark grey as grey is a dominant color.Surprises are always fun!! but yeah we are buying a foal blanket for our little one arriving in Feb.so excited to see what our stallion produces! im going to college next month to be a nurse and its funny cause i want to be a labor & delivery nurse!
default_wub.png
i had went to a career school my last 2yrs of high school and i always loved learning about the foalin process in my equine class,and it was what my senior project was based on and so i decided i wanted to do something with babies,wether human or not so thats when i decided thats what i wanted to do was! and of course i have my own minis to watch foal!
default_biggrin.png
and no its not hard to mistake those little kicks! look forward to seein pics!!!

*Britt

default_unsure.png
I just went through this with my mare. she lost a lot of hair , and I did the full bloodwork pannel on her thinking she had a serious problem...test result came back 100% normal, all hormone and minerals were fine...she is also shedding like crazy right now..I am going to say its a seasonal , or tempature change in the weather , because we cant find anything wrong with her.
Thanks for you your reply....Our Mare's bloodwork was also fine, but her wee foal test was positive! We are excited and I have posted a pic below along with some other pics of her on photobucket. We clipped our mare in June, so couldn't tell if that was it.

CONGRATS!!!
default_laugh.png
i knew it! she just had to be bred!!! Hope everything goes smooth!
default_biggrin.png
I am so excited! Thanks, bought the littlest little red foal halter yesterday, and ordered a blanket for the foaling kit I'll be putting together! Are you ready for nursing school? If you have questions, let me know. You are going to love being a labor and delivery nurse!

CONGRATS!!!
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
I am so excited! Thanks, bought the littlest little red foal halter yesterday, and ordered a blanket for the foaling kit I'll be putting together! Are you ready for nursing school? If you have questions, let me know. You are going to love being a labor and delivery nurse!

Make sure you have scissors and iodine! We actually are ordering our foal blankets next week. we are gonna get blue,pink and red! we have 2 mares that we bought about 2 months ago,they werent suppose to be bred and low and behold they have baby bellies! with the movement and how big they are they will prolly foal when its cold...yeah! lol, but we really have NO idea! oh and dont ya just love collecting the pee for the wee foal test?! and YES i am SOOOOOO READY for school!!!!! i will totally keep you in mind if/when i get some ?'s cause i know i will have them!!!

THANKS!
default_biggrin.png

CONGRATS!!!
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

Make sure you have scissors and iodine! We actually are ordering our foal blankets next week. we are gonna get blue,pink and red! we have 2 mares that we bought about 2 months ago,they werent suppose to be bred and low and behold they have baby bellies! with the movement and how big they are they will prolly foal when its cold...yeah! lol, but we really have NO idea! oh and dont ya just love collecting the pee for the wee foal test?! and YES i am SOOOOOO READY for school!!!!! i will totally keep you in mind if/when i get some ?'s cause i know i will have them!!!

THANKS!
default_biggrin.png
Feel free to ask any questions! I collected the urine after a big pee on the ground, (there was quite a puddle)and then let the dirt settle to the bottom, there was no other way! LOL Did you see the cup thing that hooks onto the blanket to collect the urine on the site? LOL My mare would blow that cup right out of there! The Wee Foal kit said " a little dirt won't hurt" It was supposed to take 5 mins, only took a minute for one line...Maybe you can get extra credit for foaling out your mares...!

CONGRATS!!!
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

THANKS!
default_biggrin.png
Feel free to ask any questions! I collected the urine after a big pee on the ground, (there was quite a puddle)and then let the dirt settle to the bottom, there was no other way! LOL Did you see the cup thing that hooks onto the blanket to collect the urine on the site? LOL My mare would blow that cup right out of there! The Wee Foal kit said " a little dirt won't hurt" It was supposed to take 5 mins, only took a minute for one line...Maybe you can get extra credit for foaling out your mares...!
yes i saw it and kinda thought it was stupid cause they pee alot!! We ran behind them with a big empty ice cream bucket!!! LOL!!! we put the in the stall so no one could see us playin with horse pee!
default_new_shocked.gif
lol.... we have actually had a few horses foal before,i think 12 horse foals,with a total of 2 that died....the one died at 2 months of age cause she had a heart mumor(and its so sad cause your thinkin,well this is what i have planned to do with her,and the next minuted shes laying down in the dead of winter freezin to death,so we had to literally flip her over on a tarp and pull her up our feild into the barn where the vet could look her over,we had to put her down the next morning cause she wasnt able to get up and her organs were starting to shut down,our other foal died at 36hrs from pneumonia(sp?)....

But this yr/and nxt will be our first mini foals! im so excited!! oh and i have a ?...ok do you have to be like an RN before you can be a labor and delivery nurse? (i mean like do you have to be just a reg. nurse before you jump right into labor and delivery or could you go right from school and be one...?)

CONGRATS!!!
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

THANKS!
default_biggrin.png
yes i saw it and kinda thought it was stupid cause they pee alot!! We ran behind them with a big empty ice cream bucket!!! LOL!!! we put the in the stall so no one could see us playin with horse pee!
default_new_shocked.gif
lol.... we have actually had a few horses foal before,i think 12 horse foals,with a total of 2 that died....the one died at 2 months of age cause she had a heart mumor(and its so sad cause your thinkin,well this is what i have planned to do with her,and the next minuted shes laying down in the dead of winter freezin to death,so we had to literally flip her over on a tarp and pull her up our feild into the barn where the vet could look her over,we had to put her down the next morning cause she wasnt able to get up and her organs were starting to shut down,our other foal died at 36hrs from pneumonia(sp?)....

But this yr/and nxt will be our first mini foals! im so excited!! oh and i have a ?...ok do you have to be like an RN before you can be a labor and delivery nurse? (i mean like do you have to be just a reg. nurse before you jump right into labor and delivery or could you go right from school and be one...?)
Great Pee Story....My kids were grossed out when I was doing the test...LOL

In California when you get out of Nursing School and then get your RN, they "suggest" that you work on a med/surg floor (patients after surgery) but I don't think it's necesary. I think going right into Labor and Delivery would be best, why waste a year on a med/surg, or ortho floor? It doesn't "make you a better nurse" Just delays getting comfortable with your specialty. I would go right into it.

I'm sorry about your losses, those are about the odds with horses, heartbreaking all the same...

Latest posts

Back