Mini History and who's this Buckeroo?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaC

Reaction score
Can anyone put me in the direction of websites and books where I can read up on the history of Mini's?

Are there anything in mini's similar to the AQHA stud books?

And who is Buckeroo? Is he like to mini's what Doc Bar and King was to QH's?

Go a head, laugh, cause I am feeling quite ignorant just typing this post.
blush.gif

wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont feel that way, your totally fine asking these questions.

Well Buckeroo is thee one well known mini in the mini industry and has a HUGE influance to many breeders today. He still is alive and producing offspring at the age of 32 for Little King Farm in Indiana. More folks will chim in of how great of a horse he is and can tell you stories of his achivments.

I personally own 2 grandaughters of Buckeroo and also a King Supreme son which also had a huge influance with the King Farm and crossed well with the Buckeroo lines.

Heres names of 2 mini horse books that I own which are very helpful to have...

* Miniature Horses A Veterinary Guide for Owners & Breeders by Rebecca L Frankeny VMD

* The Book of Miniature Horses Buying, Breeding, Trainning, Showing, & Enjoying by Dona Campbell Smith

Well Buckeroo is thee one well known mini in the mini industry and has a HUGE influance to many breeders today. He still is alive and producing offspring still at the age of 32.

Can you refer me to a website where I can see him?

32 !!! wow

I have a web site that you might enjoy. There are articles on many of the early stallions, including Buckeroo. Historical Stallions

I always like to see people asking questions.

Tony has wonderful articles on famous horses.

thanks for sharing Tony...
default_wub.png

Here is Little King Farm

http://littlekingfarm.com/

Orion Light Vant Huttenest is in the big name breeders out there in history. I have a grandaughter great grandson and another mare with him in the background. He was known for produce pintoloosas and appaloosas pintos and solids of many arrays of colors. He was a rareity I belive he lived till he was 49 years old and lived a very amazeing life loved by those who owned him. If you look at Little America Miniature Horses you will see grandchildren sons and daughters of his still produceing carring on his legacy. I hope this helps

As has been mentioned Tony's Historical Stallions page at Little America's is a mine of brilliant info of so many great stallions and their offspring. Buckeroo is, of course, a legend in his own lifetime. But lets not forget Rowdy and Lazy N's Boogerman - they are special to me, but then I'm a little biased in their diretion LOL!

I have an Orion g/daughter thanks to one of Tony's stallions - now all I need is a Buckeroo relative....maybe a King Supreme......maybe a....humm! Well I can dream can't I?

Anna

Y'ep, depending on what backgrounds and characteristics your after, there are alot of greats in this industry.

Buckeroo, Rowdy, Blue boy, Orion Light Vant Huttenest, Johnstons Vanilla, Matins Boozer, Cock Robin, Magic Man, there are too many to name.

Then theres the new generations, many of which go back to these lines, that have/are achieving some impressive titles.

Buckeroo, in my mind, was years ahead of his time when it came to beauty and refinement.

IMO Buckeroo is to the Miniature industry as Elvis was to Rock N'Roll. While he is still producing at 32, he also has get, grand get, great grand get, and great great grandget winning in the show arena. A vast majority of the top winning horses today can be traced directly to him.

My stallion Thumper is a grandson of Buckeroo, and is the 2009 AMHA World Grand Champion Senior Stallion. He also won AMHR National Top Five honors the same year. My filly won National Futurity last year, and she is a

great-granddaughter. Buckeroo stamps his line with a "look" - while not EVERY horse is a champion, many are, both in the halter and performance rings.

There are also a lot of others that produce beautiful horses, many have been named already. One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is FWF Little Blue Boy. He's been deceased many years now, but was a gorgeous little stallion with a huge eye and beautiful head that has been passed down over generations. Blue Boy was owned by Flying W Farms, and I think they still have a website with his photo on it.

Don't feel ignorant!! This is THE best place to ask questions!!!
default_saludando.gif

I would say that Buckeroo (or maybe Rowdy) is (was) probably to minis like King P-234 was to Quarter horses. I don't think anyone answered your question about stud books. AMHA offers a stud book online which I think just went up to $45 a year, and is a bargain at any price when you are shopping for breeding stock. It lists pedigree, color (don't put too much weight on this!), height, current owner (very useful!), foals, and World Show Champions and Reserves and other useful info. Check the AMHA website at www.amha.org.

I know I haven't been showing /breeding for long but I have researched the miniature horse history and if you look the most "well-known" mini horse changes every five to ten years….I think that it is smart to research and find what you like, talk to people who have more experience than you and not just on here but at shows( I find that people are more open one on one about the different bloodlines). I really think Rowdy and then through his son Lazy N Redboy were some of the greatest producers but then everyone will think differently. A lot of great stallions come from the Redboy line like Call Me Sir, Nighthawk, Call Me Awesome, Reflection, Bay mist(mare) and Erica's Taker( who I think is a up and coming stallion with all the champions he produces). I think Redboy is underrated and has contributed A LOT to our industry.

I sure appreciate all the feed back. Having been into QH's I wondered because IMHO just because someone was famous doesn't always make them great and visa versa. I was always thrilled when I could find a QH with no Doc Bar blood in it.

After a while the little 14h cutters looked more like typey arabs and with weak leg bones.

I always loved the old fashioned and hardy foundation bulldog QH's.

I wanted one that would cut a cow like the devil and then be able to put a kid and trail ride on the week-end.

Good bone, good mind, etc.

I still have a bunch of research to do but seems like this Buckeroo has an amazing get and earned is place on the top.

Now this is coming from a newbie. And to QH people out there, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Horses are like men
laugh.gif
we don't all look for the same qualities in them as the next woman might look for.

As pointed out, it really depends on what you like, but all mentioned have played major parts in the development of the breed. Some I haven't seen mentioned that I also think have contributed greatly are Gold Melody Boy (which is the line Buckeroo is from) and his sons Whittmaacks Mickey Mouse, Roan Ranger and Johnstons Gold Boy - all deseased now but they are known for their DAUGHTERS and what those daughters have produced. Also nobody can deny the impact that Glenns General Patton has had (he is a 3 time World Champion Get of Sire and was the only horse to be tied with Buckeroo for winning that distiction 3 times until the great Buckeroo won it for a 4th time a couple of years back) and also Sids Rebel - AMHA's alltime leading futurity stallion.

There are some "current" stallions, although not dismissing Buckeroo and Patton who are still producing very well, that are quickly making their mark. They are First Knights Billy Idol and Mountain Meadows Amir Al Amar aka Prince to name just two.

Happy research!

Latest posts

Back