Micheal Vick signed w the Eagles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I've always wondered: WHY do we expect people in the limelight to be "role models"? They didn't get their job because they had great character, they got their job because they had great talent. It's not really fair to demand that they suddenly become this sterling example of humanity and lead these flawless personal lives. One of my wisest things my dad ever told me is, "Just because they're famous doesn't mean they're a nice person."
I could not agree more They never signed up to be mentors they signed up to play a sport, or to act or sing or whatever the case may be.

Of course they did. But, we--the general public--have the right to boycott any games they play in...or in the case of a recording artist we can refuse to buy their albums or attend their concerts...if we don't approve of whatever it is they've done.

Personally I don't think of someone like this as a role model, I just see him as a despicable person that I don't want to support in any way, shape or form. If I were to be introduced to him personally I would cut him dead.

Unfortunately children and young adults tend to look up to sports stars and I would be some dismayed to hear a young person saying "well, so and so is my idol and he did this bad thing and is still accepted and adored as a football star, if it's okay for him to do something like that why shouldn't I?" In view of that perhaps this jerk should put out some public service announcements confirming that he is not someone that anyone should look up to and please do as he says and not as he has done!

IMO, in the world of pro sports winning cures all. If Vick plays well, in what is likely to be a limited role, and the Eagles have a good season all will be forgotten by the majority of the fans. If one really follows football, then you know that there are players currently playing in the league that are guilty of worse.

The sooner we realize that athletes should not be role models, the better off we will all be.

Gary

IMO, in the world of pro sports winning cures all. If Vick plays well, in what is likely to be a limited role, and the Eagles have a good season all will be forgotten by the majority of the fans. If one really follows football, then you know that there are players currently playing in the league that are guilty of worse.
Couldn't have said it better. His career probably won't be what it could have been, but if he keeps his nose clean from here out and plays well, it will be old news before long. I agree that what he did was abysmal, but he has lots of company in that element.

Jan

All I am going to say is I sure am glad the Green Bay Packers didnt sign him on...... they had there share of public opinion with the Farve deal, signing Vick on I think they would of lost ALL the die-hard fans as well. I dont think he should of been allowed to play anymore. I think he is sorry he got caught but far from being sorry for what he did to all those innocent dogs. TIme will help but I dont think people are going to forget.

I hope that he gets no respect, or even the time of day. He has not shown any remorse or regret, much less compassion for his animals.

I was lucky enough to get to volunteer at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, the place that took the Vic dogs.....and I am happy to report with much needed car, rehabilitation and just people that loved these dogs, they are now known as the "Victory Dogs"...... and you can even buy t-shirts which help with their cause.

I have never been to a rehab/sanctuary before and I can honestly say if you ever get the chance to go and volunteer or even take a tour, I highly recommend it. The people that work at Best Friends are truly angels on earth.....they do amazing work and it's a no kill facility and the fact that they took the time and care and provided the much needed love for the Vic dogs, should be a testament to everyone. If anyone wants more information about Best Friends please contact me....I am more than happy to share our experience, but I don't want to gush too much on this thread.
default_wub.png

Sorry, I don't mean to try to hijack the thread, I just wanted people to know that those dogs were totally and horribly abused in the care of Mr. Vic and I guess he will have someone to answer to when he passed from this earth, but until then, I sure don't have to support or respect someone that would be involved in such a horrendous activity.

I do wish more people would really think about the animals, they certainly did not ask to be put in that circumstance and they deserve any help they can get.

I think the help Mr. Vic needs is a lot of therapy, and I doubt he will get that on a football field...just my opionion of course.

I was sickened when I heard that he got signed. I think what he did was absoloutely dispicable! I could write a looooong one on this but it would take me a very long time and he is quite frankly not worth the time. I hope karma comes around and seriously bites him you know where. You have to be very sick indeed to do that to an animal, and personally if you can do that to an animal who says he cant turn around and do something cruel to a human being?

I dont understand how the rest of that team could even stand him being there.

Personally, I think he is just sorry he got caught. He had to know he was risking his career "just to have fun" with his friends. He made a choice, not just once but several times.

What gets me even more is everybody is talking about the fact that he faught the dogs. What about the fact that if the dogs lost, he personally, would pick up the dogs and slam them to the floor repeatedly until they died, or electricuted them with wires connected to a car battery, or held them under water until they drowned, or made bets with his friends that he could hold the dog up until it choked to death. It wasn't just the pits either as he would throw the family pets in with the dogs and laugh as they were killed.

As far as I'm concerned , where this much evil is shown, he had his second chance after the first dog fight.

Robin

The SOB is so SORRY.... because he was caught and put in prison. Poor Poor Michael Vick, lost millions while he was in prison, THAT is what he is sorry about too.

At his news conferance on TV, he was quiet and contrite. BULLCRAP!!! He was always cocky and way too full of himself and he played nicey because he was fresh out of jail, on TV and starting with the Eagles.

Please don't think that Dog fighting, is cut and dry and has nothing at all to do with other illegal crimes, it ALWAYS does.

Is this the kind of man that you want your children to look up to? A tough mighty football player, that has done time in prison for a violent crime? Dogs or not it was VIOLENT and brutal and heartless. Anyone that has that little regard for any life can snuff out a human life just as easily. Especially over MONEY.

NOPE! I say BOYCOTT the Eagles, any of their products, the games and memorobilia. They should be held at a higher level of accountability. Whatever happened to a morality clause in contracts to keep their noses clean?

If he is so SORRY, let's see him donate HALF of all his earnings to the animal rescue groups, and lets just see how sorry he really is. It will still leave him with more money than any of us will EVER see in a life time.

He should have FRYED instead of jail, where I just bet he was treated like a hero there. Lousy B-astard!!!

Robin

ps... If I was convicted of something like this, I couldn't get a job or my license back!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not in any way defending what he did. It is horrible and sick and one has to hope that there is some sort of Karma that will come to him that seems to be the only true justice these days.

Of course he is sorry once he is in jail no different then all the murderers and petifiles who get to jail and suddenly find god as if that makes all there actions disappear and even sadder is for some.... it does
default_wacko.png

I don't know if he's sorry for what he did or not....personally I doubt it. Whether they "should" or not, it's a fact that our youth do look up to sports figures. If the players themselves don't care about the examples they set wouldn't it be nice if the powers that be would consider that rather than how much money a bad role model will make them. I don't know a thing about football but I'd love to see the team take a hit where it hurts for signing him.

On a side note:

There is a man named Jerry Colangelo who used to own and was the General Manager of the Phoenix Suns (basketball) and the Arizona Diamondbacks (baseball). He allowed NO bad behavior from the players. There were quite a few that did something stupid and found themselves traded the next day. Anything negative that made the news and you could kiss your job goodbye. A couple of for instances, we had a player who got caught cheating on his wife (big name player) he was traded in spite of his news releases of how sorry he was. There was another player that had a fight in a bar with his wife, he admitted to being drunk and slapping her, she didn't press charges and got a couple of good swings in herself. There was no press conference he was just gone within the week and not allowed to play until he moved. Sadly Jerry doesn't own/run the two ball teams anymore.

Robin

ok flame me if you need to

I am from Phila lived there for 39 years

but when it comes to football

it is my favorite sport to watch on tv

For me I don't care who they sign as long as football season is football season

and not turned into a soap opera which when T O was here it did ruin the season

I just want to enjoy the game. And not have everything centered around 1 player

If they don't make it to the superbowl it's ok as long as I had a good season watching

I'm so used to being almost good enough its a good place to be rather than on top then hitting rock

bottom like some other teams have

So I have no problem with Vick just all the publicity surrounding it

football is what we are offered by the players and team and that is all I want from them

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm glad to live in a society where this kind of behavior does stir up quite a controversy. I don't care if it's a famous athlete, a CEO of a large company, or my trash collector - I'm ok with the fact that people don't take this sort of thing lightly.

I'm a football fan. I'm not much of him as a QB or a man. But I really don't see what the big honking deal is.
And he's one of the better players. Are you kidding? It's Vick, who is a decent starting QB. He makes bad choices at times with how to handle the ball (I swear the guy wants to be an RB) but he's better then most of the rest of the starting QBs in the league.

He fought dogs.

He didn't molest kids, beat his women or kill people. Not drunk driving. Not doing drugs. Not carrying around guns shooting himself in the leg at night clubs. Not testing positive for weed 3 times in a row.

Nope. Dog fighting. I mean, really? Seriously? And people want him tossed out of the league and branded for life? He did 18 months. In my opinion, it was a suitable punishment, not a slap on the wrist, which has now been served and he is entitled for his life to continue without further drama.

Honestly I think Vick got caught up in the lifestyle. I think he's gotten a cold hard come to Jesus slap, and he's going to fly straight. Someone like Plexico Burress isn't and needs to get thrown out of the league. And Stallworth, who KILLED SOMEONE, definatly needs more then 30 days and a year suspension!

He should not be allowed to play. Pete rose was banned for betting for money, one dog fight another dog for money is betting! People who fight dogs are SICK in the head.. To start a dog fight and watch it and even if it does not kill them right then, they will then leave them some were else to die. That includes the winner to, Just because they "won" does not mean the are fine and dandy. I am from Pa, The eagles suck, They were in westchester at the collage a some years back, there heads are so far up ther a**es its not funny, They move around the in the under ground tunnels broiler areas & had the nerve to ask who do we sue if we get herts down hear, ( I know a worker for the the collage ) just to avoid the fans, the ones who make them what they are ( and that ant much ) once they got to the field, They had WALLs not fence Walls built so they could not be seen. They are rude, head swollen, You would have to meat them in person to know why I feel this way.

Vick playing for the eagles... Philly and its subs. are hot spots for dog fighting. If you are one who does not see much rong with dog fighting watch one dog rip apart another dog, think of this, once a dog is in that life style and thorn aside if it lives or gets out of its cage, it makes it to our streets were our childeren play or maybe someone getting in there car to go to a real job, PAYS the price for what that dog went through. Thats why Pits have bad names, they are GREAT dogs as long as they stay out of the hands of whimps who us them for them for fighting. Philly and sub's are loaded with pit bull rescues WHY if there was nothing wrong with fighting dogs there would be no rescues. One rescue is renting billbaords to put dog fighting and Vick out there and they have alot of help, we are behind them to. The stats for pit dog bites ( I am not talking about one bite - I am talking about the toddlers who have to be prided from the dogs ) in Philly are just sad. Thoses childeren had nothing to do with dog fighting, they just happen to be out side doing what childeren do. Drive through Philly and look at the late teens early 20's boys walking around with there bad pits.

Vick may have not moelsted a child, beat his women or killed anyone ( with his own hands the same hands who funded dog fighting - Were are those dogs now??? ) BUT did you know the ones who do, and the stats show that animal cruelty was in there past.

You are who you hang with. If you are with a group watching dog fighting, betting, drinking beer & doing drugs. What are you doing????????

If there is someone who still does not see the wrong in dog fighting, You have never seen it as it is or the out come, a group of so called men watching dogs kill one another at the end of the night at lest one dog is dieing the injured ( and thats if there is only 1 match ) you need to go to a rescue for pits or google some of the pit attacks on people. They are truly a great breed but in the wrong hands it will never end well.

Vick should not be able to play for any one. Betting is betting

I like to watch pro ball on ocassion, but now that Vick has been signed won't be watching the Eagles--don't think so.

My feelings for [SIZE=14pt]anyone[/SIZE] who abuses an animal--I don't care what the animal is--that person is nothing but a low life in my book and I'm one of those who would like to see those who abuse an animal be treated with the same disregard --- mistreated, abused, tortured just like the animal and left to take care of itself or killed.

Anyone who can abuse a helpless animal it the lowest form of humanity in my book and is really not even good enough to walk on. Sorry this is a HOT topic for me--animal abuse lead to other forms of abuse.

I've been there--saw a man tieing a dog to the bumper of his car and was going to drag the dog home--his excuse--he was tired of the dog running off. I told him I had a camera and was photographing the whole mess. He then untied the dog and was going to place him in the trunk--I said put him in the car--said he didn't want the BLANKETY BLANK dog in his car and I ask why he even had the dog--it was his wife's--wonder what he was doing to her. I told him I had photos of everything including putting the dog into the trunk--he then decided that was not a good idea. I follwed him home to make sure the dog arrived safely. At least for that day the dog was spared.

Better get off my soapbox--animal abuse leads to human abuse IMO.

Vick is only sorry he got caught and lost all those millions he could have had to continue his dog fighting ventures.

I also agree that no matter what we do, Sports Figures in general are looked up to by our children and it is time that they be held to the same rigious standard of conduct no matter what the game.

Don't get me started on Video games as they are just as bad an influence on our young people.

That is sick as far as what he did. I never was an eagles fan, and I am certainly not now. Ugh... I cannot stand him....

LOCK UP THE BEAGLES

MICHAEL VICK IS WITH THE EAGLES!!!!!!!

Lock up the Beagles so true! If I was convicted of a fellony I would loose my liscense and so should he. If he didnt get caught what would be next. Maybe he would have bought a few mini's and have stallions fight to the death over a mare in heat. ummmmm a lot of minis for sale right now!!!

Latest posts

Back