Market for the small AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not an expert nor do I have the experience that all of you do. I have purchased mostly tiny (30" and under") minis although I have two size B minis. I was willing to pay top dollar for them to purchase from a knowledgeable breeder who also was active on the show circuit and willing to be there to support me by answering questions after the sale and remaining a part of their foal's life. I also didn't want to end up with dwarfs. I personally prefer the smaller minis. I'm older, have all kinds of joint problems and handling and working with the smaller minis is easier all the way around for me. I can take them out easily and participate in local events with them where they do attract a lot of attention. I also go hiking with my horses and do all kinds of clicker training activities with them and having a small horse by my side is really much easier for me than the larger Bs. I'm going to be starting driving training with my little ones this summer and I'm looking forward to that as well. I know there is a lot of interest in the Shetlands now but I think the small minis are here to stay. I think there are plenty of people willing to pay a fair price for a healthy, quality horse and there's always going to be a market for the tiny ones. Just my newbie opinion.

Mountain Woman. Your "If I Didn't Live On A Farm" on your web site is wonderful! I suspect many of us reading here relate to that. Thank you

Thanks for the kind words about "Squirt". All credit on him goes to his breeder and my friend, Erica Killion, with whom I proudly co-own him
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The reality is that the market is depressed here too, not just for AMHA minis but for all horses. I always thought that if the economy took a down turn mini ownership would be on the rise, since they cost so much less to feed, but sadly that is not how it is. Horses, large and small are a luxury. They are one I cannot imagine being without but they are a luxury nonetheless.

If you love the under 34" variety, continue to own them. I do not believe I will breed for '13 either. I did not breed for '12. I also do not believe in the "next best thing," In my opinion the grass is never greener. In fact, greener grass is just an optical illusion. Perhaps you need to cut back, perhaps you should take a sabbatical, but stay in it if you love it. I am not going to be an over 34" mini person no matter what fads come along.

Sometimes it isn't worth doing any more. Is it fun any more or do you literally have to drag yourself out to do chores? Spring will eventually be here and with it you may feel differently! If in Spring you still feel done it is up to you to take that next step.

Hang in there! I've been there too!

Mountain Woman. Your "If I Didn't Live On A Farm" on your web site is wonderful! I suspect many of us reading here relate to that. Thank you

Oh I AGREE SO MUCH,( if i dint live on a farm) THAT WAS SUCH A GREAT READ, THANK YOU, IT REALLY MADE ME SMILE,,,, AND AS FOR THE SMALL MINIS..... I LOVE THEM
default_yes.gif

but yes it is hard at the moment ...

yes thanks for setting me straight, was feeling a little over whelmed and depressed today so thanks enjoyed reading this..

Mountain Woman, I love your blog! "If I Didn't Live on a Farm" is excellent and I bookmarked your page so I can read other blog entries as you write them! Thank you for sharing that with everyone :
default_worshippy.gif

"The market" is just that....."The Market" It will have ups and downs and what's hot today may not be tomorrow.

I think patience is helpful and not "selling cheap", as some have done for their various reasons.

WHen people start letting good stock go for "peanuts" it gets buyers thinking they don't have to pay much to get in the market.

I prefer to sell from the farm and I know that I don't advertise as much as I should. When I get busy and advertise regularly I certainly have a lot more interest.

I think (and I hope) that the miniature horse market is always going to go back to "the best example of the horse in miniature" "the smaller, the better".......it has been our experience here in Southwestern Ontario to see the smallest horses commanding the highest prices. Sadly the smallest are often not the best examples either.

The last sale we attended saw the highest price paid go to a filly (over 3000.00) and her mouthwas in bad shape. She was teeny, tiny and appie marked.

I too loved the Mountain Woman blog. Very inspiring.

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for your kind words and for making my morning so special. I can't even begin to tell you how much all of your comments meant to me.

I know a lot of folks that have not jumped on the R/Shetland bandwagon.... and I think there is still a decent market for the smaller guys. How small though are you talking? Most folks I know have geared their breeding more towards performance and horses that can do something- not just halter. Minis are so versatile, do you breed a variety of types that would attract more people interested in various activities? And I agree- lots of advertising helps.

While I am only a youth, turning 17 in a few months to be exact, I personally love the 30" and under AMHA horses. I have shown AMHA and been to both A and R shows, A Worlds, and am always stunned by the smaller minis and plan to keep showing AMHA with my new addition, a 29.5" gelding. I think it is so awesome how breeders have produced such beautiful and correct 30" and under miniatures.

Jill, when I saw your stallion's photo you posted, I thought "WOW that's a NICE A sized mini!" I had NO idea that he was not even 30". I just saw the background and new it was R Nationals. That is, personally, my kind of miniature.
default_smile.png
I guess everyone does have their own personal prefrence of their most desired mini height, and that is so neat about showing the minis. Such a variety!

On a side note, I would just like to say that this forum is absolutely great. It is such a wonderful educational tool in gaining as much info as possible about miniatures. I am glad that youth members like me are welcomed to also speak their voice in these discussions aswell. I have learned ample amounts of info from so many of you on here. Just want to say a big thanks!
default_aktion033.gif

Jill, when I saw your stallion's photo you posted, I thought "WOW that's a NICE A sized mini!" I had NO idea that he was not even 30". I just saw the background and new it was R Nationals. That is, personally, my kind of miniature.
default_smile.png
Awwww, thank you
default_cheekkiss.gif

I'd wanted to add his bloodline to our program for 4-5 years and had really admired both Squirt's parents when they were showing... AND his siblings. He was just too right to not snap up
default_biggrin.png

I remember how tied in knots I was waiting to hear back from Erica about if I was going to get to call him mine, too... I was nearly going to die from suspense
default_wub.png

I feel proud of Squirt because I do see him as an ideal SMALL miniature horse. To me, just because they are small, doesn't mean they should not look like miniature horses. I like that you don't know how little he is in pictures unless it's pointed out -- 3 cheers to Erica Killion's incredible, countless National Champion producing, breeding program
default_yes.gif

At such a small size, miniatures truly are a horse that nearly anyone -- any family -- can own and enjoy
default_smile.png

The quality smaller minis are much harder to achieve than the taller horses, it has taken a lot of years of selective breeding to get to where they are today! Hope I said this right so as to not offend anyone, I am always nervous posting anything like this on here
default_wacko.png

Like you, love them all and prefer them small.....so let me say, I totally agree that they are not as easy to produce with the same consistancy and proportion of the larger ones. But, that's what it is. Downsizing is not perfect. I love my little ones!! After many yrs of breeding and good sales, shows, I breed seldom now. Shame really -- hey, the herd is willing!
default_wub.png
Proven blood and all that, just not the same now. I don't show, advertise much, etc. Thus I chose to stop breeding and love on the ones I have. Several are in late 20's now but have been good to me, it's now my turn to continue to be good to them.

Pam, I wish you were closer. I am new to LB and trying to learn all I can about the minis (don't have one yet). I am not interested in showing but would love 'any hands on' education about them. I would gladly volunteer my time a few days a week to help out just so I could be around them and 'learn'.

As far as size, I know when I'm ready, I will be looking for a mini in the 32-34" range as I am interested in learning to drive and feel this size would be better suited to me.

Do you guys offer boarding? Maybe you could broaden the pet market by offering to 'board' the minis you sell if buyers live in town or don't have enough property. What about leasing? I found a stable near me that will lease a pony with cart for $150 a month and give me some basic driving lessons for $20 a session.This from their website and a few emails. This place has quarter horses and draft horses so I was surprised they had a pony! They lease a few larger horses as well so people can find out if they really want a horse before they go out and buy one. I thought it was a pretty nifty idea!

Jill, I do love your boy!!! Very handsome dude!!!

MountainWoman, had to check it out...cracked me up (love my lattes) and well...I wished I lived on a farm!

Wanted to put my 2 cents worth in as a buyer.I live just south of Louisville,Ky..At 57 and having horses most of my life, I started having tremors..I had a 16 hand Quarter horse and my 14.3 App that I raised from a colt..It was getting very hard to saddle the BIG boy, so he went to live with my boyfriends daughter.I board my horses and have had to for the last few years since divorcing..( I had a place with acreage and an indoor arena) Where I board I rent the stall and take care of the horses my self..So being left with my one horse I started looking for a Buddy for him and one I could cart train because I don't know how bad my tremors are going to get in the future..So Craigslist I went..Looked at about a 200 mile radius.I keep calling one man near Indianapolis,In and he never returned my calls..I knew what I wanted, a Mini under 34 in., a gelding or a stallion that I could geld,and one that was close to 2years old so I could start training.I even advertised on craigslist to what I was looking for..I didn't want something for $50. that was bought for someones kids and then thrown out to pasture to founder.I wanted one that was breed with thought and raised with love..I just keep looking..And then, there it was, an ad for Minis for sale on the Indianapolis,In.craigslist..I called got a really sweet lady on the other end..I told her what I was looking for, she said she had one that she had planned on keeping..Well, many phone calls later and emails with pictures.I WAS IN LOVE..I have had him for almost a year..There is a market for the small ones,I was one of them..If I had seen your ad I'm sure I would have given you a call..

My small ones, (which I get quite often!) sell very well for me!
default_yes.gif

I am also a fan of the 34 and under and that is what our program is geared toward

we have only 1 over mare who when bred to our 28.5" stallion has given us some fantastic foals who stay under 34'. all our other horses are under 34.

So we continue to buy the under 34". It is where we choose to be in the miniature world. Love their temperment and being older it suits us just fine. I have great hopes for the small horse market and looking to the future with excitement.

Mountainwoman I also loved your If I didnt live on a farm page
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back