Mares Match vs Foal Lac... ASAP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnShadowsFarm

Reaction score
A friend has a highly sensitive 6 week old foal who seems allergic to his mom's milk (he's been hospitalized twice!), so we are looking for any suggestions, and considering goats milk or a milk replacer. Not sure which is the best for a foal like this.....

Help please!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have access to mares match get it.. i like it better then foal lac it mixes up easier (less lumps) and seems to have a better consistency I used mares match for over a yer with our dwarf filly we tried foal lac and I really didnt like it i had to use it till i could special order the mares match.

The vet preffered the mares match as well.

I made it up in baby bottles I made up 8-10 bottles at a time so that when I needed to feed I could just warm the bottle and pour it in a bowl for her

Our orphan did well on the Foal Lac. Mares Match wasn't available at our ranch supply store.

MA

Sorry I did not see this before.

We are using Mare's milk plus from Buckeye. ( I think it is the only one we could find in our area, My husband went to a few places and this what he found, so I am not completly sure) I have been at home babysitting our colt since we had to put his mom down.

Our little guy sucks it right down. It says to make enough for 24 hours and give it to them 1/2 at a time so he can sip it when he wants it. But we are giving him 2 cups every 3-4 hours. It just gets too many flys in it and I am afraid he will eat to much at once.

Also ,I do mix it with a little less powder to water than it says. His poop was just a little to hard when mixed full strength.

We also feed him goat milk 2 times a day. Our guys seems very happy with his feedings.

Deb

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back