mares due any day now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before.
default_wub.png
: This is our first foal... We are waiting and now Sue (the pregna mare) is at 305 days. The previous owner, Abby Conder, told me that she is always three weeks early and that milk starts dripping about two weeks prior to foaling... Nothing obvious seems to be happening and we wake up every morning and theres no baby.. :eek:

Can anyone tell me their average gestations and what are your thoughts on breeding during the first foal heat?? (4 days after giving birth, right?)

THANKS *LEXI*

With minis I think we've all found out there really isn't an 'average gestation length' lol, I've heard minis born from 290 days to 340+... What are the signs she's giving you now? Hips dropped off, V in belly, tailhead sunken, elongated in the rear etc etc? How about her udder? Full tight udder? Nipples full? waxing? Milk color? All are signs to take into consideration... I'm guessing that previous owner may have used the 340 due date estimation and that would put her foaling around 319 days, 3 weeks 'early' if calculated with the 340 due date.. Do you have a way to take some photos and post of her?

Forgot to add:

RE: Foal heat

Typically mares come onto their foal heat 7-10 days after foaling, however some have come back in as early as 5 days. I have bred a few of my mares on their foal heats. I do this ONLY if the mare had a successful foaling and is healthy in all: physically, mentally and reproductively.. The main reason I bred on the foal heat was to bump them up for a foal, mares had foaled in June and I wanted to aim for a May babies. In other cases I try to wait for the 30 day to give them more rest period before breeding them back

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Foal heatTypically mares come onto their foal heat 7-10 days after foaling, however some have come back in as early as 5 days. I have bred a few of my mares on their foal heats. I do this ONLY if the mare had a successful foaling and is healthy in all: physically, mentally and reproductively.. The main reason I bred on the foal heat was to bump them up for a foal, mares had foaled in June and I wanted to aim for a May babies. In other cases I try to wait for the 30 day to give them more rest period before breeding them back

We do virtually the same. Some mares are so into their foals, they will mask their foaling heats, some really seem to want to get back in foal pretty quickly. I basically leave it to the mare. If she shows interest in the stallion in her foaling heat, I let her re-breed. I have one mare that the previous owner swore would never breed during a foaling heat for her. However, she initiated the attention to the stallion during her first foaling here in her foaling heat. I guess like people, some stallions just "have that special something the ladies can't resist!" I don't like February babies here, it is just too darn cold for me!!

Hard to really see anything with her winter coat and the small pics, but doesn't look like the baby has dropped down to V-her tummy yet, course not all mares are that visible.. What's her udder like?

Hard to really see anything with her winter coat and the small pics, but doesn't look like the baby has dropped down to V-her tummy yet, course not all mares are that visible.. What's her udder like?
I'm not sur how to explain.. She's bagging up but they aren't full and shes not waxing at all. How do you tell if the baby has dropped down to v-her tummy??
default_wacko.png
:

If you look at her from her profile (side) then her belly will come down to a "point", making it looked V'd.. It indicates that the baby has 'dropped' just like in humans and is preparing to enter the foaling position.. Like I said though, it's not always that noticeable in all mares..

Here is a photo of my bay toby mare the night before she foaled in 2005:

CIMG0810.jpg

This one the V is more noticeable

CIMG0804.jpg

Here's her udder the same night, she does not wax, or give any indication of milk change prior to foaling:

CIMG0806.jpg

Thanks for all the help!! The baby definately hasn't dropped yet. I'll keep my eyes on her though. The pics really helped. :aktion033:

You're welcome.. If you need anything or have questions feel free to PM me or email me! And good luck with your girl!

you might want to try this link to see other mares and what they look like close to foaling it is a very helpful site for those new to foaling and those of us not so new
default_yes.gif
:

Foaling signs

Latest posts

Back