Mares bred or not??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
I know testing is the sure way to know but can you tell by photos if mares are pregnant or if they have a bag? I have 3 that I am not sure if they are bred or not.

Just wondering if some of you would give me your thoughts. Will post photos thanks

roseside2-0486.jpg

laneside1-0470.jpg

dunniside1-0473.jpg

Also have to add all pature bred so don't know when they are due (bought them this way) Buckskin was tested to be preg and due sometime this month. The ones I had that have foaled already looked bigger then these guys but didnt know if horses can just carry different.

Are they maiden mares? I have one Maiden mare who I thought was not pregnant, then she started to get a bag. Last night with a VERY tiny bag, she foaled outside in 30+ degree weather. Since she had just started to get a bag I thought we had a while to go. Imagine my surprise when I saw the foal in the morning.

I also have a 22 year old that was ultrasound in foal last summer. I could have sworn I felt movement a couple of months ago, but she really does not look pregnant and I do not believe she is, but still I have her by the barn just incase.

no all three have had foals from what I have been told. Any photos of yours? love to see them.

thanks

Are they maiden mares? I have one Maiden mare who I thought was not pregnant, then she started to get a bag. Last night with a VERY tiny bag, she foaled outside in 30+ degree weather. Since she had just started to get a bag I thought we had a while to go. Imagine my surprise when I saw the foal in the morning.

I also have a 22 year old that was ultrasound in foal last summer. I could have sworn I felt movement a couple of months ago, but she really does not look pregnant and I do not believe she is, but still I have her by the barn just incase.

Did the foal survive?

We dont test at all here! Mares covered are either in foal or they are not. With the stallions around the mares will come back into season around this time of year if not pregnant, or we will just use our judgement and as soon as we see any changes in their bags, they will be stabled nights and from then on it is careful visual watching that keeps us informed as to progress. When we see the white bubble appear and hopefully two little hooves and a nose, we help the baby into the world and say "yep, she was in foal" LOL!!

Sorry, no help for you, but it works well for us.
default_yes.gif

Anna

I agree with anna, I spent €60 per horse one year and I was told that only one was pregnant well the spring later I had 3 foals all within 10 days of each other. How's that for a waste of money
default_new_shocked.gif
now I start showing them my stallion every morning from april and see if they come into season.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question but it is just a waiting game really. Good luck

Now if they were not in foal would they still have some what of a bag?? As far as foals living from what I was told yes. 2 of the girls do have small bags nothing very alarming and the other has a slight one but didn't know if they are like dogs and still carry somewhat of a bag even if not expecting just because being out of shape I guess

I my experience all mares who have foaled and suckled a foal will always be left with a 'stretched' slightly 'loose' udder, unlike a maiden mare who's udder has never been 'filled' (think of us humans under the same circumstances!) The main thing is to get to know your mare's 'normal' udder and then to watch for any changes. Not sure when you got these mares, but if it was before last December, the udders they had then would be what I would have called their 'normal'.

Anna

Just got them this past week so I don't know what is normal with them. 2 Were said to be exposed the Gruilla (sp) and the Silver Bay and the buckskin was indeed tested postive in foal but in my opinion but am new to this only comparing to my girls that had a foal not long ago. My girls were much rounder and looked to be in foal. With these girls I only think one looks kind of like that which they said she could be due end of summer or sooner. Why do people just pasture breed?? Doesnt it make it easier to have a pin point date?

OK, so you have only just got these mares, so I think you will have to accept that their bags are now 'at normal', and just keep watching for any changes - dont check everyday or you might not notice small changes, check approx every 4 or 5 days until you are sure there is a change.

Are you wanting to breed these mares this year. If so then is it possible to get them somewhere near to an entire (not sure if you have your own stallion?) We walk our boys along near the mares fence and watch the mares - some will raise their heads and watch, they may be coming into season; those actually in season or ready to come in will usually come right up to the fence for a 'chat'.

If there is no stallion available then I think you will just have to wait and see - we are not foaling until July this year so we are also playing the waiting game too! We do hand breed now, but always used to pasture breed, leaving the stallion with the herd for approx 2 to 3 months, but we always managed to get covering dates by walking amongst them twice a day and watching them - actually all our boys used to rush off to cover anyone in season as soon as we entered the field, I think they were worried that we had come to catch them up and take them out, so it was quite easy to get covering dates!

If your mares might not be foaling before the end of the summer (end August to end September, then from your pictures, I would say they could quite easily be in foal, but would not expect to see any changes in their bags until at least end of July and this may depend upon your feeding routine eg grass only can mean a slightly slower start to bag 'movement'.

Sorry I dont seem to be of much help!

Anna

It's really hard to tell from photos, particularly photos of horses that 'we' aren't at all familiar with. I have one mare here that, when she was carrying a foal every year, was absolutely huge in the belly. If I had posted a photo of her right after she foaled, or any time in the months after she foaled, everyone on this board would have said she was in foal, surely due any day! She had 2 or 3 foals for us & then we left her open--and all the following year people would have said the same thing if they'd seen a current photo--definitely in foal! Now that she's been left open for several years, her belly has gone away and no one would take her to be in foal in current photos.

Some mares can look like they aren't in foal when they actually are; others look like they are when they aren't. If it's a horse "we" know, we can often tell that the mare is or isn't in foal. A horse we're totally unfamiliar with--it's really just a guess. Just because a horse looks "exactly" like like a horse we know personally, that doesn't mean that other horse is truly in foal just because she looks like that other horse that we know to be in foal.

That said, in looking at your photos I would say the first two probably aren't in foal, or if they are, they won't be due for a long time yet. The 3rd one could be--but I wouldn't say she is very close. Of course it's rather a guess just how much is hair and how much is horse--worse in photos than in real life because we can only see and not feel through the hair. One of my mares once looked to be very much in foal, which should have been impossible, but once I clipped her belly she quite obviously wasn't in foal....it had all been hair.

As for why some people pasture breed--often they have better conception rates. Or it can be that the mares are pastured for the summer and, especially if there are a number of mares and/or it's a large pasture--it's so much easier to put the stallion out. It can be a lot of work to go out & catch each mare to check her & then breed her. Quite honestly, there are people whose mares are pasture bred and those people still know the breeding dates for each mare, and therefore they know when the foals are due--it's just a matter of paying attention to the horses, and taking note each day which mares the stallion is interested in, and which ones he's covering. Likewise there are some who hand breed but never keep track of anything at all, then by the next spring they can't remember when they bred each mare.

Thanks that was very informative. I appricate it. that is what I was afraid of waiting game.
default_smile.png
I can't really go by the stallion as one of the mares that has a foal a month ago was backing up the the stallion and you would think she was in heat and actually she foaled
default_smile.png
Like to just put them with the stallion but don't want to take a chance that he will hurt her or the foal if they are pregnant. So I guess I will sit and wait uhhhh I would much rather know
default_smile.png
I can't say that I didn't pasture breed myself but I guess I knew my girls were in heat saw the stallion breed them and noted it down and then never noticed them back in heat.... they stayed with the stallions
default_smile.png
Time will tell. Just want to be there if they do foal and not leave them in the pature

Hard to say on them. I just wanted to pop in with some things that I do here. Take photos everyday or second day. I take a picture from the rear (level with the horse), from the side (again level) and then a bag shot. Date them and name them so that they go consecutive like DJrear050411 etc. That way they will line up in your folder (I use one folder in My Documents for each mare for each year) day to day to day and you can easily see if there are changes or not. I hope that makes sense. It really helps me.

Thanks Rhonda great idea and will do that. I am not counting on anything just taking each day and enjoying them. Love all of my minis. My dreams are finally coming true!!

Latest posts

Back