Mare Pictures - What's going on?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyHorses

Reaction score
Around May 24th, my mare started acting differently and I noticed a change in her udder. She is now producing milk (white). I checked it yesterday with some pool test strips (nothing). They are kinda old, though. I left her open this season. She has not left my property. However, a neighbor caddy-corner behind me has a mini stallion nortorious for getting loose. It's a longshot, I know, but I am wondering if she could be in foal? I do not think it is mastitis. She allows me to examine her all over and shows no sign of discomfort even though her udder is swollen. Today, it looks like the swelling has moved in front of her udder like two golf balls (weird).

Looking for opinions??

I'm worried. BTW, the vet was here the 11th for something else. He didn't examine her, but offered to do a blood test when he comes back in 30 days for booster shots on my Welsh colt.

Here's a link. The first 8 are from today 7/14.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/KrazyHorses/April-MiniMare/

IMG_1095.jpg

Her actual udder is pretty flat with swelling in front. Swelling in front can be due to being overweight or grazing a lot of grass. Some mares will always express thin runny white milk after having foals. They call it witches milk because its not real milk. I think she maybe a bit overweight
default_smile.png

Today is the first day the bumps were in front of the udder. Seems like it moved from her udder to in front of it. I know she looks heavy. I see the fat pads on her. She is on a dry lot, hay 2x a day, and Safe Performance feed, 5 oz, 2x a day. I feed them both the same and my gelding is not heavy like that.

We do have a Welsh colt here (born in Apr). Do you think it would cause her to produce milk? What about a false pregnancy?

I have not seen her in heat this season. She is 9 years old, cycles regular, and has had 3 foals.

I hate to cut her back on hay/feed since it doesn't seem like much that I'm feeding her.

To be sure I would do a weefoal urine test or have the vet come pull a blood test. That way you can ease your mind and if shes just heavy you can put her on diet. I did have a pony with a false pregnancy years ago and I suspect shes doing it to me again this year. But her udder is full like a pregnant mare not at all like your mares. But she was also overweight and I was adding to it by feeding her like a late gestation pregnant mare. Now having said that many people/vets say mares cannot have a false pregnancy but I believe they can as I have seen it. I have asked 2 different vets. One felt they could and the other said no way.

Latest posts

Back