Major mood swing late pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
So my Merry has done a complete mood swing. Up until yesterday afternoon she was a real pocket pony. i couldn't even get pictures unless I stood outside her paddock. I could pet her everywhere except I couldn't touch her bag. Since yesterday afternoon I can only touch her face and even then only if I crouch down. Otherwise she runs away like I am going to attack her. I can''t check her to see if there are any other changes. Has anyone else experienced this before? She is 370 days today.

I do think their moods change in late pregnancy.

About a week or so ago, I was not "totally" sure one of my mares, Hope, was pregnant. Don't get me wrong -- she's huge! But hadn't gotten an udder and was around ay 320. I've owned Hope for almost two years and she's never been very affectionate to me. She's fine to handle but had NEVER sought affection (cookies on the other hand...). This day, she was grooming me back when I pet her and following me around her paddock which entirely out of character. I saw that as a sign she probably was really pregnant. Now she's under one of my cameras with a significant udder preparing for the big event
default_wub.png

I've heard it can go either way. Those less affectionate ones can become more so and the real effectionate ones can become more stand offi-ish.

Jill, when you said she was under camera with a

significant udder

I thought for a moment she had a friend with her!
default_biggrin.png

I notice mares do some times change from sweet to grouchy or from grouchy to sweet. Here though, only to other horses, to me they are all sweet and loving.

We have a mare right now, with significant udder
default_biggrin.png
, she is a maiden and every time we go to check her bag she tries to turn her head and bite us on the behind while we are checking. We have to hold her halter and check at the same time. She is getting very grouchy, but we have noticed here that right before foaling they get very docile and let you do just about anything to them, and they turn back to being very sweet and wanting lots of attention. But out with other horses we see them off by themselves right before, not hanging out with a crowd at the hayrack.

Thank you. I'm getting really tired and not sure what to watch for or what I am seeing anymore. :DOH!

yep,, my sweet pocket pont girl got nasty there at the end, trying to kick me and all kinds of NON NORMAL stuff,

I have one mare that gets this way -- normally you can catch her anywhere and do whatever you want to her but in that last month if she sees you coming with the halter she is gone and she doesnt want you to mess with her or anything -- then once she foals she is fine and back to buddy buddy with you
default_smile.png

Jill, when you said she was under camera with a

significant udder

I thought for a moment she had a friend with her!
default_biggrin.png

ROFLOL!!! Oh that was GOOD!
default_biggrin.png

I have a donkey jenny who was rescued and is understandably wary. In fact, I have never been able to touch her out loose in the field, but she is fine in her stall. Well, the day before she delivered, she couldn't get enough of me. Out in the field she followed me everywhere, kept her face on me, wanted me with her all the time. She even let me check her udder and under her tail, and this was with her out in the field and standing without any restraint whatsoever. This behavior was sooo out of the usual, that I wondered if she was about due, and sure enough she delivered that night. Too bad she went back to her stand-offish behavior, but I love her anyway. Her baby, Daisy - now 18 months old, is totally a smoochy face so I get my donkey lovin'!

Jayne

Cool! Thanks everyone. I really hope this is it then. I just wish I could get close enough to check other signs but I will just watch her closely on camera. Thank goodness for stall cameras.

Cool! Thanks everyone. I really hope this is it then. I just wish I could get close enough to check other signs but I will just watch her closely on camera. Thank goodness for stall cameras.

Wow...she really is hanging on...I thought for sure she would have given you your bundle by now
default_smile.png
I bet you are tired...Is anyone else their helping watch or is it just you.... I hope it is tonight for you .....You ar ein my thoughts and prayers, all of you
default_yes.gif

Thanks Reneé but I am beginning to think that she is fooling me and there is no baby.
default_no.gif
Today is 372 days for her and nothing much going on other than the extreme mood change. Or at least nothing I can see from a distance. :DOH! I'm going to leave her in for another month to be sure cause it can't hurt but i think I got fooled again and am going to go out on a limb and say that no one else is pregnant either and then maybe i will be wrong about them too.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back