Maiden mare "heating up"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedminis45107

Reaction score
I have 31-32in maiden mare that i believe is due basically anytime. dont know her due date. but for the past few days-week she has been "heatin up". its basically where she acts like shes going to foal everynight for those of u who dnt know. she will steam a lil,pace a lil,look at her belly and kick sometimes, lie down get up and for the past few nights shes been eating/drinking ALOT more. she has somewhat of an udder,its not tight and she looks like shes just starting to relax. any ideas on what i should due? or any ideas on how long she could "Heat Up"?Thanks!

SANY1110.jpg

SANY1089.jpg

aprilsbelly.jpg

The most reliable indicator for us has been the udder/milk. I know when a mare gets a rock hard hot udder foaling will be within hours. Or I just strip a little milk and look at it. Your mare doesnt have much of a bag yet so she could be weeks off. But some maiden mares dont get a big bag until right before they foal. Frustrating I know!

The most reliable indicator for us has been the udder/milk. I know when a mare gets a rock hard hot udder foaling will be within hours. Or I just strip a little milk and look at it. Your mare doesnt have much of a bag yet so she could be weeks off. But some maiden mares dont get a big bag until right before they foal. Frustrating I know!

Thanks, i have heard i can use PH strips to test her milk. she does have a clear substance but its not white. and i have heard they can udder up right before,right when they are foalin or right after.and with her bein a maiden i have heard anything goes! it is soooooo frustrating!!!
default_wacko.png
but worth it in the end if everything is ok....Thanks! oh and i also wanted to say that i just love ur blk/wht stallion! we live in Ohio and im always wanting to meet him..

If you are getting liquid from her......TEST it with the PH strips. That's a great indicator.

From your photo(s), it doesn't look as if she's dropped low yet........she's still carrying her foal out sideways. Keep a watch on when the foal drops down under her.

Plus, even maiden mares's butt muscles will relax when they are within days of foaling. They just don't get quite so "jello -butted" when it's their very first baby.

The fact that she's a maiden makes it harder to determine.......Remember this is all new to her, so she'll be reacting to EVERY little change to her foal's positioning and her body.

right now i cant get any "liquid" from her udder. it is a little fuller,and getting a really mushy bum.
default_new_shocked.gif
i can almost grab her taildock in my hand! im not sure what shes doing,but i hope she gets more udder before she does foal,thats whats got me worried.....
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back