Made in China again, a warning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
It is nearing Halloween and the other holidays upcoming where traditionally, a lot of candy is purchased.

PLEASE check the labels on these candies and if it's not apparent where it's made, leave it on the shelves, let the stores know you do not want to eat candy from China or other unsafe countries, and also we do not want our children eating these foods made in countries where their manufacturing safety is suspect.

I don't think our country can possibly police all of their infractions. China's pollution factor is so huge that it IS affecting our country even if we don't import their loads of "junk" for lack of a better term.

There is evidence of the melamine-tainted milk products still for sale on shelves in stores in this country.

Remember, the melamine poison was what was found originally in the pet foods that started much of the notice to China's terrible habits for sneaking toxins in (melamine tests like protein, so they add it to boost protein rating cheaply). How many of our pets died because of this?

Toys are full of lead, other things are unsafe, and that's not even all: our money is leaving our country as our jobs dwindle.

We all want things so cheaply, we want lots of 'em and we don't care that our new shirt will look horrible after four or five washings. It only cost us $4.88!

The way the economy is looking, the markets and credit is plunging, it looks like we may well lose our two top auto manufacturers to China and/or Japan: Ford and GM are struggling. It's our own faults.

Sorry for the soap box, these are frightening times, and we all need to slow down and realize that we probably have "enough" of many things, we don't need a dozen new pairs of shoes in a years' time, not when 3 or 4 are plenty, or maybe even less.

I know I've been guilty, myself, but I have never purchased an overseas-manufactured car or truck, and I am focused on buying only from USA manufacturers who use USA origin products OR from other countries with a conscience. I am not discriminating against any country only the methods used by big business to cheat us all out of our security by bleeding us dry one by one.

The time has long since past that we need to read labels and re-think how we spend our money.

This started out as a warning about candy/food items, but it's also a reason to pause for thought if you think it's not dangerous to continuously feed more money into the big box stores, they are sending it right to China, who holds most of our debt.

Yes, it's tough to find everything we need or want here in the US, but it's time we made an effort to re-invest in our own local communities and stop funding the greedy middleman.

Links to stories about the tainted milk:

FDA: Avoid coffees, candy made in China

Made in China: Melamine-tainted candy still on shelves in Utah

I think our country suffers from something I have heard called consumerism. We want so much, we can't wait to have it, yet we tire of it quickly and throw it out, move on to the next. Nothing is purchased for its ability to fill a purpose for a long term, and we can't wait to get it out of the way for the next purchase.

My one comparison for now is Breyer horses. They used to be made here in the USA, then they shipped them overseas to China. The quality went way downhill. They may have fixed some of the quality problems, but now they just sell tons of them in so many colors and the prices are not that great. I quit buying them when they shipped overseas. I don't see them being "special" in any way, anymore. If I want a nice horse sculpture, I will save my money (maybe about three or four Breyer's worth) and buy something truly special: an artist resin. Sculpted, painted and often molded right here by an artist or service here in the US. Keeping my money as close to where I live as I can.

I realize I've gotten way off-topic, here, but many of you know I've been passionate about this for a long time.

Think about where your money goes, and how much of it's spent on things we really don't need, or impulse items.

Check labels...make your voice heard to the stores you shop, the manufacturers you buy from.

I realize this is an international forum, and I mean no offense to other countries, but I think you can see the situation this country (USA) is in, and can sympathize on some scale in similar manner.

Last year I bought toys from Canada, USA, Germany, Britain, Australia, Finland and others I can't remember, but I avoided all but a small few of my purchases from China. The ones that were made from there were video games.

That's about it from me on this soap box....

Back to the politics! (which I've only been reading, not commenting on. No matter who gets in, we're in trouble!)

Liz

I have been wondering about something along these lines actually. I like to have rewards for my students to earn and can't afford a lot. Do you have any suggestions of what I can get that does not cost a lot but would not be made in China? It is so easy just to go to a dollar store (or a lot of people order from Oriental Trading or something). I teach 2nd and 3rd grade and work with 3rd through 6th grade girls at my church.

Very good information and do you all know that a lot of our prescription medicines are also made in China?
default_no.gif
I was totally shocked when I learned that one of my medications were made there...no longer will I take that medication and I have to ask the pharmacist each time a new medication is prescribed if it is made in China. Scarey stuff! But why would our country allow our medications be made in China?
default_wacko.png
I think it is all about the almighty dollar that is being made from having stuff produced there. Mary

It is nearing Halloween and the other holidays upcoming where traditionally, a lot of candy is purchased.PLEASE check the labels on these candies and if it's not apparent where it's made, leave it on the shelves, let the stores know you do not want to eat candy from China or other unsafe countries, and also we do not want our children eating these foods made in countries where their manufacturing safety is suspect.

I don't think our country can possibly police all of their infractions. China's pollution factor is so huge that it IS affecting our country even if we don't import their loads of "junk" for lack of a better term.

There is evidence of the melamine-tainted milk products still for sale on shelves in stores in this country.

Remember, the melamine poison was what was found originally in the pet foods that started much of the notice to China's terrible habits for sneaking toxins in (melamine tests like protein, so they add it to boost protein rating cheaply). How many of our pets died because of this?

Toys are full of lead, other things are unsafe, and that's not even all: our money is leaving our country as our jobs dwindle.

We all want things so cheaply, we want lots of 'em and we don't care that our new shirt will look horrible after four or five washings. It only cost us $4.88!

The way the economy is looking, the markets and credit is plunging, it looks like we may well lose our two top auto manufacturers to China and/or Japan: Ford and GM are struggling. It's our own faults.

Sorry for the soap box, these are frightening times, and we all need to slow down and realize that we probably have "enough" of many things, we don't need a dozen new pairs of shoes in a years' time, not when 3 or 4 are plenty, or maybe even less.

I know I've been guilty, myself, but I have never purchased an overseas-manufactured car or truck, and I am focused on buying only from USA manufacturers who use USA origin products OR from other countries with a conscience. I am not discriminating against any country only the methods used by big business to cheat us all out of our security by bleeding us dry one by one.

The time has long since past that we need to read labels and re-think how we spend our money.

This started out as a warning about candy/food items, but it's also a reason to pause for thought if you think it's not dangerous to continuously feed more money into the big box stores, they are sending it right to China, who holds most of our debt.

Yes, it's tough to find everything we need or want here in the US, but it's time we made an effort to re-invest in our own local communities and stop funding the greedy middleman.

Links to stories about the tainted milk:

FDA: Avoid coffees, candy made in China

Made in China: Melamine-tainted candy still on shelves in Utah

I think our country suffers from something I have heard called consumerism. We want so much, we can't wait to have it, yet we tire of it quickly and throw it out, move on to the next. Nothing is purchased for its ability to fill a purpose for a long term, and we can't wait to get it out of the way for the next purchase.

My one comparison for now is Breyer horses. They used to be made here in the USA, then they shipped them overseas to China. The quality went way downhill. They may have fixed some of the quality problems, but now they just sell tons of them in so many colors and the prices are not that great. I quit buying them when they shipped overseas. I don't see them being "special" in any way, anymore. If I want a nice horse sculpture, I will save my money (maybe about three or four Breyer's worth) and buy something truly special: an artist resin. Sculpted, painted and often molded right here by an artist or service here in the US. Keeping my money as close to where I live as I can.

I realize I've gotten way off-topic, here, but many of you know I've been passionate about this for a long time.

Think about where your money goes, and how much of it's spent on things we really don't need, or impulse items.

Check labels...make your voice heard to the stores you shop, the manufacturers you buy from.

I realize this is an international forum, and I mean no offense to other countries, but I think you can see the situation this country (USA) is in, and can sympathize on some scale in similar manner.

Last year I bought toys from Canada, USA, Germany, Britain, Australia, Finland and others I can't remember, but I avoided all but a small few of my purchases from China. The ones that were made from there were video games.

That's about it from me on this soap box....

Back to the politics! (which I've only been reading, not commenting on. No matter who gets in, we're in trouble!)

Liz

And NEVER buy doggie treats and rawhide made in China. They aren't cured properly and will hurt your dog.

Plus, I totally agree with everything but this:

IMHO, and I have been collecting for 35+ years, is that the quality and painting have improved by leaps and bounds! I have dealers that let me go through all their stock to hand-pick my models, and I tell you what, it's hard to choose because they are ALL good! I don't find bad seams, bent legs, overspray, gouges, bad ears, rubs: nothing like I used to! (UNlike that "other" plastic horse company where you really need to scrutinize the models for hairs, fingerprints, overspray, etc...) Look at the new dappling techniques. Mold making is new and improved- they can undercut manes and tails. The bottom of the hooves all have frogs now, even the Stablemates! Pinto patterns aren't just white blobs on the horse- they are stenciled and mapped. Eyes are tri-colored. I *know* it isn't just because of the move to China, and I much rather they were painted here, but I for one am pleased with how they look.

Lucy

I think the sculpting has gotten better, Field of Dreams, not necessarily that they are all that much better. I think some of them are painted more realistically, but in my opinion, for the prices they ask for them (compared to what they cost to manufacture), they just aren't that great. Special run every ten seconds, limited edition this.

Even if they were better, which I don't feel they are, not in trade for what we've lost, the fact is that I imagine the people painting and finishing/molding them are not being paid a fair wage, not even for their part of the world.

I could be wrong. I just don't like the way the models look considering the prices they cost, now.

I think if I had a horse-crazy kid in my life, I would go and find some of the older ones to buy for them to play with. There are lots on the market for very low prices. The only ones I have left are my little "herd" I cultivated since I was about 6 until 16, it amounts to about 12 Breyers and a very few Artist resin. I have changed my spending habits to reflect my interest in real horses (Miniatures) anyway.
default_smile.png

Similar things with other products. Levi's, for example...not made in the USA, but they are perceived as a USA brand since they used to be.

Who's really making the money in these situations? Not the ones who do the sewing and assembly.

One thing we are lucky to have here is a community store/co-op. Food grown locally from farmer-owned dairies, etc. Some of the food costs a little more, others are very similarly priced. Most of it is a lot healthier than those things found on big box shelves.

I had a tough time finding raspberry jam (family fave) without high fructose corn syrup (bad, bad, bad for you). Easy to do in the Community Store...Organic versions also don't have it. And so on...

It's all inter-related: our physical health, our economic health and our environmental health. Quit buying SO MUCH stuff, and focus on what we really need and want. Take care of what you DO have.

It's been a nice change for our family.

Liz

About a year ago, we got rid of all dishware made in china....I figured there are toxins in the painted toys, why not in the painted dishes? I have correlle dishware now...made in America.

About a year ago, we got rid of all dishware made in china....I figured there are toxins in the painted toys, why not in the painted dishes? I have correlle dishware now...made in America.
Right on, Seashells...good thinking.

We are concerned about the most vulnerable such as the children and pets, but think about where your coffee cup (your as in generic/collective your) was made...we will be buying either Corelle or Homer Laughlin Fiesta Ware if we get new dishes, as offhand I know those are made here in this country. BOTH for the toxicity issues as well as providing and keeping our jobs HERE.

Liz

We do everything in our power to buy USA made. Both with our maunfactured products and personally.

It starves the beast and supports your American comunity. Think it doesn't make a differance? Will it does because a million pin pricks, small though they are, will kill the monster that has enslaved us all.

Well said Liz and thank you,

Incredible to me how many products are made in China. If you check labels, you find everything from toys to clothing to toothpaste. You have to hunt for things made in the US, and it sure shouldn't be that way.

Jan

Now you've got me looking in my kitchen cabinets! I got rid of a bunch of dishes the other day just because my kitchen was getting cluttered. Wow....have to go check them again and see if any of them were made in China. If so, I'll have another item tacked onto my Christmas list....Corelle ware!

It is too bad that America is shooting itself in the foot. We complain about unemployment and the bad job market on one hand while on the other hand we demand cheap goods and buy so much stuff made in other countries (especially China obviously). If we would demand things made in the USA and be willing to pay a bit more for it, there would be a lot more jobs here. The things is though, there have to be a lot of people who do this for it to work as well as it could. I know I certainly have been guilty of looking at the price tag more than where it is made.

Well said Liz, since all the product recalls I have been looking at the products I buy very carefully and I will not buy anything from China, it is hard to go into Walmart for instance and find something that isn't from China. The other problem is that some products made in Canada or the US are made with ingredients from China ie oreo cookies, snickers etc. They have been found to have the melamine in. The stores here are starting to see the light and have fresh, local produce on their shelves, they even show the name of the farm it comes from. I saw a special in a local flyer for Royal Doulton dishes and it was a good price and I need new dishes so I went and asked where they were made expecting to hear England but no they were made in Bangladesh so I did not buy them, instead I am going to save my money up and buy some from a local pottery. I think we all have to start doing that in order to make a difference.

Yvonne

Since about the 70's I have had nothing but Corelle dishware, and I love it... now I like it even more!!!

I agree, and this is why we have NO JOBS here.... jobs are being shipped overseas daily, and we continue to support that by purchasing their merchandise, thus running even more businesses here down the tubes because they cannot compete with the PRICES from the China imports. I am not going to even start on the subject of quality though...

A friend of mine here had to close her small business she was trying to build... because every one else was buying stuff from China, and she refused. Because their prices were a bit cheaper, she just could not compete and rather than go bancrupt, she just closed it down.

The big corporations here are the only ones making the big money..... while they lay off more and more U.S. employees, to continue to make up for financial losses from the lack of sales to other Americans already out of work and cutting back on spending ... but this enables them to stay in business and continue raking in the dough as long as they can, while laying off even more and cutting corners in their business, and making even more use of foreign employment and trade.

If you are selling products or services here and using imported merchandise, how are you going to continue to do so, when your customers have no jobs or money to spend?? Who are going to be your customers then? You can't stay in business if you have no one to sell to.

Thanks, everyone, for confirming my feelings that all of us are feeling the need to shop "with our neighbors" not people we will never meet or even know.

It isn't so much that as they are even cheating the people that are building these things overseas. I don't know much about their culture, but the news is full of the mistreatment of women and children, the major labor in large factories and the low, low wages they pay to get these things built.

it's all to feed "our" consumeristic tendencies. We want a new coat every single year, maybe TWO new coats or three or four, and you almost can't buy one thing without getting a "free" item with or in it such as batteries that come with a small radio/headphones. These things are junk, and inevitably thrown away anyway, or broken before they're even open.

The little happy meal toys and such...what a bunch of clutter that are designed to sell the food; the toys are cheaply made trash and our "collector" habits make us want them soooo badly, especially the littlest ones (kids).

I would far rather do business with people I know than to give money to more "middlemen" that have led us all astray with their own greed first and foremost.

Wal-Mart does $6 billion in trade with China per year...that is a major pipeline of money that is sent over there. Guess who'll be owning our country if our country HAS no money left to bail itself out? Scary thought, that.

If any of you are small business owners, please feel free to PM me if you'd like to be a part of our "list" it is a free service at this point, designed to help us all connect and interconnect and build a strong framework.

We've got a Forum where you can talk about your products, challenges and wishes as such.

Still, I feel that this type of thought process is something all of us should be thinking about. Perhaps the old iPod will work just fine even if it's not the newest color or the largest memory, etc. etc. and you can save the money for that rainy day and spend it on a handmade item or something special that you'll have for a long time.

I shopped at Old Navy the other day and left with nothing. The clothes are cheap, yes, but they are cheaply made and all made in Vietnam, Macau, Indonesia, India and China. I saw nothing made anywhere else.

Call the manufacturers of the items you still want to buy (even with re-thinking your purchasing patterns) and let them know you want to know where the ingredients come from, the raw materials, and where their factories are. Truth in labelling is very important in foods and safety-related issues, but it's important on an economic level, too.

Let's keep the $$$ in the hands of those that don't want to do us in/take us over.

L.

A good article about the Melamine tainted milk:

Consumers at Risk to Contaminated Milk Products

This just illustrates how easily these things can be in our food, and the only way I see it stopping is to quit buying from manufacturers that use these foreign-made ingredients.

It should start with our food and go from there.

Please be aware of where your food and drink is coming from. If you don't care about the jobs lost, then protect your health, your children's and pet's health.

I had to switch feeds a few years ago b/c I was not getting good answers from the original feed mill's source about where their grain came from. I can barely afford this other, mostly because I have to drive so far to get it, but it's important to know where my horse's food is from as well as my family's.

Liz

I have to say my family has been hard core "buy" local for going on 20 years... food(but I can tell you finding non GMO wheat for making my bread is getting harder), beef, furniture, measuring cups I just found, which took some looking I can tell you, just to name a few.

But I do have my small business...and there are just some supplies the USA no longer makes. Was talking to Liz about it on her forum. And I refuse not to do my Art because supplies can't be found made here in the USA. My Art started as and still is my Therpy for the accident I had. My Hot press watercolor paper is made in France.. from the same family owned company for the last 100 years. It is "The" only type of paper that will hold up to my kind of paintings. Though I have to buy some of my Art supplies overseas because they are not made in the USA,, I am still careful who I buy from.

But anyway you get the idea.

Now my handspun yarn.. still have roving from my own sheep,, and the blue Face Leischester and Coopworth are from local WA flocks I know. That is all USA made

Liz,, do you know about "Azure Standard"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back