Low Carb Treats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viki

Reaction score
Where can I find such a thing? Progressive sells some, but with shipping, they are pretty pricey. Any one on here feed a low carb treat to their Laminitis, IR or Cushings horses? I have an older mare having problems with Laminitis and I'd like to be able to give her a treat once in a while that wouldnt cause her MORE problems.
default_no.gif

Viki

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pony that is "profoundly" insulin resistant. The only treats I feed her are Skode's Horse Treats. They are tested by EquiAnalytical Labs and all are under 10% NSC (most are under 8%). You get them on the web. I buy the mixes so I can bake them myself. It's much more economical that way and you can just bake half the mix at a time if you want. Keep the treats refrigerated to make them last longer. My horses LOVE them. www.skodeshorsetreats.com

The Banana Bells are a favorite and so are the Minty Rose Brownies.
default_biggrin.png

What about just feeding hay pellets or cubes as treats? If they get something between normal meal times, they usually still think its a treat.

Celery!!! Cut it into small bite size pieces - it's safe for Cushings/IR horses and most horses love it!
default_yes.gif

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure would never have thought of celery! Thanks!
default_biggrin.png

Viki

Latest posts

Back