Lost my dad this past week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Reaction score
I am sorry to say I lost my father over Memorial Day week-end. He had an intestinal blockage that required surgery and since he was 88, and had a weak heart, he couldn't pull through. His name is Robert Eberhard. He and I raised Miniature horses and he was always there watching the foaling camera, feeding the horses and being my biggest fan. He loved to talk to everybody and was a great friend to many. We had many great years with wonderful memories.

How do you get through these days and weeks? I'm finding it very hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry. I lost my dad 11 years ago and I still miss him every day. What helped at first was just to keep trying to do the things he would have wanted. We told ourselves, "dad would have wanted us to do this" and somehow it helped.

I'm so sorry you lost your dad. It is hard. Very hard. I lost my mom in 1997, and it still hurts sometimes. I just miss her. I found grief to be unpredictable. Just when you think you're getting better--an off day shows up, even 6 months, 1 year, 2 years later. The best thing I ever read was to focus on how lucky you are to have had him for a father, and know you wouldn't trade all the joy that relationship brought for the sadness you feel now. It will get better. Mom died in early Novemeber, and in January I felt an unfamiliar, but wonderful feeling, and realized it was happiness.

Hang in there. {{{{{{HUG}}}}}}

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. My Dad passed away Jan 27th and I just got back from attending his burial last week. I have to say this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through. I have buried my mind in doing photo edits and have designed some edits of my Dad - that has helped but it still is hard everyday as I miss him so much. I will keep you in my prayers and if I ever can do some photo edits of you and your Dad please just email me the pictures and info to [email protected] (free of charge). I understand if you are not able to do this right away but always remember I am here if needed.

Lisa

I am so sorry, I too lost my dad 5 years ago this next October. Sometimes it seems like yesterday, other times it seems like forever...I am a daddy's girl, always will be. Sounds like you have wonderful memories with him, cherrish those memories and he will never be gone, just a thought away. Hugs to you
default_wub.png
...Theresa

I am so very sorry. I can only imagine how you are feeling. Actually it is my biggest fear losing my father. He is 71 now and I honestly worry about it every single day.

My heart goes out to you and your family

{{{Hugs}}}

See? You aren't alone.......I too have lost my dad.....(and my mother.)

Please talk to him - either out loud or in your head. Write to him too. He's closer than you think or feel right now and will hear you.

Blessings to you as you travel the rough road of Grief........

Maryann

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Father. (((HUGS))) to you at this very difficult time in your life.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I truly dread when the day comes that I lose either of my parents.

i'm so sorry for your loss. grief is such a strange thing and very individual. for now, it will be hard to think of happy times but some day, you will have a memory that will make you smile. then, some day, you will have a memory that will even make you laugh out loud. then, out of nowhere, it will all come crashing down on you again and the sadness will be overwhelming.

take it a day at a time, maybe even a minute or an hour at a time. the grief never goes away, it just gets "different", a little more tolerable as the weeks and months go by. watch for signs from your dad, they will happen when you need them the most. treasure each one and remember your dad is watching over you.
default_smile.png

I lost my dad over 10 years ago. He was my best friend also and lived with us on our farm for almost 5 years. I got though it just taking it day by day. I miss him and while doing many things here from taking care of the horses and gardening it just brings back wonderful memories that get me through it day. I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry you have lost your Dad and best friend. You are very lucky to have had him until he was 88, such a long fruitful, giving life he had. It will take time but also remember he is still with you and always will be. My Dad died 29 years ago May 2, I still miss him so much, I was his baby girl. I know he is still with me because I can do some plumbing that I never learned to do! He was always there for me as your Father was.

Sending prayers to ease your pain and help you to remember all the good times.

God bless

Your dad was a wonderful man and you can be proud of what a great person he was. Larry and I both always enjoyed visiting with him when we saw him at shows. In a strange kind of way he was fatherly with his advice and wit to us! We loved hearing his comments about things, I remember he and I talking about horse shows and really how crazy it is to pay money to go to a show and have a judge tell us they don't like our horses. It didn't change a thing, we always kept our horses! Your father was a really sweet man, probably liked by more people than he knew! Treasure the memories and don't rush into doing anything. You have lots of time to decide what you want to do with your horses. A card will be comming your way from us. Lavonne

I am so very sorry for your loss. Parents are like treasures. I hope the coming days ease the pain you are feeling in your heart.

I'm so very sorry you lost your beloved dad. I hope you can temper your deep loss with happy memories of him. I wish I had words to help ease your pain.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I am so sorry to hear of your loss...he sounds like he was a wonderful man. Again, I am so, so sorry...

Liz R.

I am sorry you lost your dad.

Grief is such a unique thing. It is different for everyone.What Charlene said was so right on, for me anyway. It is still so hard day to day.

Last week I was doing something with a couple of other people and found myself laughing out loud and on the way home I realized I had just had a really good time. I was very upset with myself for having fun! I felt so guilty and thought what kind of a person are you to be able to laugh and have fun with Larry gone. I cried and cried. Sometimes you will see something that reminds you of him(like for me a piece heavy equipment especially Caterpillar) and it is like a shot to the heart so expect it to happen.

The best thing for me was to be able to talk with someone who has been thru it and will understand the crazy ways it hits you.

I also just got the book, Grieving For Dummies it is wonderful.

Again I am sorry for what you are going thru.

Hugs

Bonnie

I am so sorry, that is my greatest fear loosing my best friend / father
default_no.gif
. I cannot even imagine how you feel, i am really really sorry
default_no.gif

My dad is 76 years old, i treasure every horse show...sale...clinic...event we get to attend together. I would give up anything to have my daddy forever
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back