Lost 1st foal for 2006

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
We lost our first foal this morning. Our mare Breezy was a maiden and she had bagged up but there was no waxing or any milk. I pasture breed so I was not really certain when she was due but I was expecting first part of May. I had the cameras up but was planning to put the Equipage up this weekend. She was fine when I went to bed. But when I got up at 5 this morning and looked at the monitor, I saw the colt. He was still completely in the bag. My husband thinks he might have been born dead. He was a beautiful black and white paint like his daddy. Seems like all I have had is bad luck except for last year when we had two colts born alive. I took my mares off the pasture in January due to the fescue problem. Maybe that wasn't long enough. I had been told 2 to 3 months was all they needed to be off. I don't know if we will breed her back or not. I have 3 more to go., but they aren't due till June at the earliest. I will be glad when I can retire and sleep during the day and sit up all night. This is so heartbreaking.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for your loss. I know what you feel like having lost our first TWO fillies and their mothers. I dont think being off fescue for 2 months is near long enough. I believe bred mares should be off it for the entire pregnancy. I have everyone in dry lots so fescue isnt a problem here.... but I still lost two in a row.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I am sooo sorry for your loss. I have had 2 babies born that were in very thick bags that probably wpuld not have gotten out if I had not broken the bag. I am trying "Equidone" with my mare that is expecting any time now. It is a paste that is given to the mare before she foals to help the bag to "thin out" and help the mare produce milk. I hope this will help because I am tired from all the foal watch and I can't watch every miniute.

Again, I am really sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck with your other babies.

So sorry for your loss, we lost one last night also, different circumstances. Hang in there.

At the risk of sounding stupid.... what is fescue????
default_unsure.png
:

So sorry for your loss. Not a nice way to start the year - hope it gets better for you.

I am sorry for you loss. I hope the rest of your foaling season goes well for you

Sandy

So sorry for your loss - we lost our first foal this year too - so I really understand how you are feeling right now. The joy that these little horses bring to us is second to none - but when things like this happen the grief is second to none as well.

My prayers and thoughts are with you during this sad time.
default_wub.png
:

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my first foal on Monday and it was horrible.

I am grieving with you.

Joey

Latest posts

Back