Looking for some miniature people close to home (Silverton, OR/Salem, OR)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyspirit

Reaction score
I been looking around to find out if there are other mini owners in my area. I would love to start learning how to drive or anything fun I can do with my mini's, but I just can't find any other mini owners in my area. There are some local breeders but I highly doubt they have the time to get together to answer questions or do some fun stuff. One of my mini's is registered with the AMR (I need to update info) and I guess could be shown but I just don't know where or how I would start.

I would love to get to know some folks in my area (if there are any) that have mini's and either learn from them or hopefully do some things together with our minis.

So, please let me know if you are from my area - would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Sonja

Even if the breeders are busy, give it a try anyway and contact them, perhaps they too are looking for someone to just have fun with the minis with. the worst they can do is say no.

Look up the website of the Northwest Miniature Horse Club. It will give you a list.

Also, one of the largest and oldest existing mini breeders is Scott Creek Farm and is located in Salem.

Sonja-I highly recommend you contact Joanne Ross from Scott Creek Miniature Horses. www.scottcreek.com Joanne is a wonderful mentor and has taught many, many people various aspects of the miniature horse world. She has been my mentor and friend. Please don't be intimidated by her because of the scope of her breeding farm. She is down to earth and passionate about her horses. She has more knowledge to share than most other people and her past career as a teacher has carried over to teaching new people about mini horses when ever she can. Make the call and tell her I suggested you contact her. It is wonderful to learn from the best!

gypsyspirit,

If you're interested in recreational driving, you might want to come for our annual beach drive at Long Beach, Washington, August 29-31. We horse camp at the Peninsula Saddle Club and drive on the beach at low tides. It's a great time and there's always the opportunity to drive other people's horses and check out equipment. Everybody is welcome.

We have a great miniature horse community in the northwest, especially in your area. NWMHA will connect you with those in the show world. You are close to the Oregon State Fair, which has AMHA classes -- if nothing else, go watch a few classes and wander through the barn to meet people. Western Wheels and Whips is a great place to meet others in the combined driving community (CDE and Arena Driving Trials). Still many others take advantage of our great parks and trails with recreational driving.

Here's a video from a past beach drive:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVED your video, Susanne! Great seeing Mingus and wasn't that Leia in there too?

Larry and I did a trip like that about 20 years ago on the Oregon Coast....back when we had driving horses...sigh. But Long Beach seems PERFECT for this!

Maryann,

You, Larry and Brianna should come -- you'd be more than welcome to drive Mingus, and he'd love it! I haven't seen you in forever, and this really is a great time. That is Leia and Kody, and on the beach you also see Daryl (BigDogsLittleHorses) with Dancer, although he's mostly behind the camera. You briefly see Liz McMaster and Mouse, and Bob Graham (designer/maker of the HyperBike) driving Dancer.

Latest posts

Back