Looking for places to send my color DNA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
Where are some good places to go for Color DNA testing.

I believe I only saw one listed on LB but I didn't know if there were others.

Also, If I send my hair samples into the lab to be tested say for LWO Gene and it comes back negative for LWO will it tell me what it is positive for? Say will produce bays or positive for the augoti gene?? Just curious. Its going to be a GREAT day here so I thought I would get the testing done today before breeding season.

One last question about LWO testing, This is probably going to sound stupid but, I have a mare that comes from a LONNNNNG Line of Overos but she is a Buckskin I don't need to worry about testing her for the LWO gene right? She has no white on her, she is actually a beautiful golden buckskin like her sire.

thank you,

IF you want to breed her to a overo, then yes test her.

The test only tells you what you are asking it to tell you.

I use Animal Gentics in Florida. There is also UC Davis and i beleive Shelterwood(or something like that) Labs. Animal Gentics is the fastest and the cheapest

If you test for LWO they only test for LWO, so if it somes back negative it´s just that; non LWO.

If you want her red-black, agouti, or tobiano tested, you will have to fill that in too.

About your buckskin mare, does she have any white?

A LWO positive horse can be as minimal as a snip, (like posted recently on a grullo stallion).

And I have even heard of solid horses that carried it, so if you have a LWO positive stallion you want to breed her to, I would test.

I send it here:

http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/Equine.html

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare has no white on her that I can tell currently. She is turning a Buttermilk color but that is the only light color hairs I can see on her. But like I said she comes from a very long line of Overos mostly frame Overos her sire just happened to be a Buckskin.

So will I have to pay $25 for the LWO gene and then $25 for them to tell me if she is Augoti or whatever else she could be???

I want to have my 3 black and white pintos tested for LWO but also I would like to have them tested to see if they are Homozygous or Augoti ? Is that 3 seperate tests???

If for example you send to Animal Genetics who are very easy to work with you can send one sample but they can test for all the color tests including LWO but each test is $25..there are a total of 5 tests.

My mare has no white on her that I can tell currently. She is turning a Buttermilk color but that is the only light color hairs I can see on her. But like I said she comes from a very long line of Overos mostly frame Overos her sire just happened to be a Buckskin.

So will I have to pay $25 for the LWO gene and then $25 for them to tell me if she is Augoti or whatever else she could be???

I want to have my 3 black and white pintos tested for LWO but also I would like to have them tested to see if they are Homozygous or Augoti ? Is that 3 seperate tests???
Yes it is 3 separate tests, but a black horse doesn´t have agouti, cause it would be bay then, so you don´t need to test for that on a black.

You could test if they are homo- or heterozygous for black, unless they have a red parent of already produced a red, then you already know they are heterozygous.

The horses you want tested for LWO do have an LWO parent right? If both parents are tested negative their offspring is negative too.

The horses that I am wanting to DNA I didn't breed them. I bought most of them this year. 2 of them I bought from someone that I know doesnt' color DNA. I know that all of the mares I am wanting to DNA do have parents that are pintos but I don't believe any of the parents have been color DNA'd to know if they could be LWO positive. I just thought before I breed them to a LWO stallion that I need to make sure that there is no chance of being LWO. That is what I am mostly need to know. The other info about being Homozygous is just what I would like to know. hahahahha definitley not a necessity. I have a black stallion and a LWO stallion so it will determine which horse to breed to later on.

Debbie,

I generally use the lab in Fl, Avian Biotech which can test for colors as well as LWO. As others have said, it's $25 per test. I would test any horse for LWO if I were unsure whether it carried it or not and I was going to breed to an LWO positive horse.

I can tell you that Keota would not be homozygous for tobiano as her sire is not tobiano. She would also carry red and would not be homozygous for black. You can save some money there! I am in the process of testing Incognito for LWO, so that might be of benefit to you. I should have the results back Monday? I don't think he is, but he's never been tested until now.

If any of the ones you want to homozygous test have a solid parent then dont bother testing them because they cant be homozygous.

I just sent off two to Animal Genetics in FL. They are $25 per test, UC Davis in CA is $50 per test.

Jan

I just sent off two to Animal Genetics in FL. They are $25 per test, UC Davis in CA is $50 per test.

Jan
Actually they charge $50 for the first test and $25 for each additional test.

And red/black and agouti they do combined for $50, so it´s not more expensive unless you only want red/black.

Pet DNA also does tobiano by hair UCD by blood, hair is much easier so I prefer that, don´t know about the other color labs.

Latest posts

Back