Look who got clipped today!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
Decided it was time to clip my boy. He was an itching maniac,
default_sad.png
so I hope this helped him
default_rolleyes.gif
:

mockclipcombo.jpg

Below, I have last year's clip to compare. He doesn't seem to show as many dapples this year. In fact, I think I see some palomino coloring by his belly? His dad is pure palomino - his mom is black. He's a silver bay. Think he may turn into a palomino?
default_unsure.png
:

mockoclipcollage2.jpg

I do notice that he has gained a bit of weight from a year ago
default_unsure.png
: Uh oh.... looks like some exercise for him AND mom is in order! :eek:

He is a very pretty boy!!He does have more dapples it looks like and lighter on the belly, thanks for sharing! :aktion033:

I bet he feels much better now that he is clipped!!!

And, looking at his pictures, I am sure he is silver bay which many people confuse with palomino. He cannot turn into a palomino but when that silver gene is present, sometimes horses have different looks to their color depending on the time of year.

I have a very light silver bay dun mare (see) who most people would incorrectly call a palomino.

Goldie%20--%20Horses%20and%20Dogs%20--%2009302005%20011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
okay - a question... do you guys think his neck looks fat?? Would you put a neck sweat on him or try to work it off another way?

I know he needs some exercise in general... what would be a good conditioning program for him?

Here's his diet:

1 cup 10% sweet feed in the morn and eve

1/2 to 1 flake hay morn and night (sometimes I sneak some extra in for him)

And grazing (maybe an hour a day if he's lucky to get out) (I board him, so I don't have a whole lot of control on this unfortunately...)

I'm thinking of adding some sunflowers seeds or ground flax seed to his diet for some shine.

Thanks!

I'd be interested to see pictures of his parents as if he's carrying silver, one of them has to as well and I don't see that listed in the colors you call them. He can't "turn palomino" as they are either born with that creme gene or they aren't.

Weight-wise, I think while he could definitely use a little conditioning most of it is probably just growing up and filling out. How old is he?

Leia

Hobbyhorse,

He just turned 3 years old this March.

What type of conditioning would you recommend?

What causes weight gain more - grass or hay? He eats timothy/alfalfa mix most of the time.

Sweet feed sounds just that "sweet". Would there be a better grain out there maybe without so much "sweet"?

I'll post a pic of his parents in my next post.

Mocko's parents:

His dad:

wishbone2small.jpg

His mom:

Copyofmockosmom.jpg

Him as a baby:

rosewbcolt4.jpg

default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back