LOL,LOL,LOL, I've been Driving....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"City Slicker"

Reaction score
... so much I've driven the wheels to the point I need new ones
default_new_shocked.gif
. I' ve had them re- spoked 3 times, replace wheel bearings twice, and now the rims are toast! Only part that can be reused is the hubs, so now it would be a total refurbish for both wheels! I'm saving my pennies for wooden wheels, but what they want to rebuild my old spokers, I can buy a new cart! A good friend has lent me a heavier duty wheels with 3/4 axle shaft, as mine are only 5/8 " . So now I hope this solves wheel issue after going through upgrading to a 3/4" axle! Tonto just can't get enough of driving, he is just like the Energizer Bunny, I mean when he see's the harness comming he acts like when you get the leash for your dog!

What type of cart do you have? Will a bicycle wheel work? Those should be cheaper than respoking etc.

It's great that you are having so much fun! We have 6" of snow and it's still coming down.

What type of cart do you have? Will a bicycle wheel work? Those should be cheaper than respoking etc.

It's great that you are having so much fun! We have 6" of snow and it's still coming down.

NEVER use bicycle wheels! They aren't meant to take the side-to-side torsion cart wheels are. The spokes are much thinner. I've seen bike wheels just collapse when used in a cart.

Here is a WONDERFUL place to get new wheels:

American Cart and Harness

I got a set for my show cart and they are NICE. And they ship FAST!!

Lucy

NEVER use bicycle wheels! They aren't meant to take the side-to-side torsion cart wheels are. The spokes are much thinner. I've seen bike wheels just collapse when used in a cart.

Here is a WONDERFUL place to get new wheels:

American Cart and Harness

I got a set for my show cart and they are NICE. And they ship FAST!!

Lucy
Thanks Lucy for posting that link, I am going to get a set of their sleigh runners
default_biggrin.png

Yvonne

Bob,

Wooden wheels are just one alternative. I am not sure it is any cheaper to get metal wheels but they are also acceptable in all show rings (wire wheels can only be used in breed show rings).

Anyway, while saving pennies, you might want to look into metal wheels. Two of the sites that I have that make them are:

http://www.thecarriagebarn.com/

http://www.itebtebuggys.com/wheels.html

Anyway, glad you and Tonto are finally getting to really enjoy the sport!

I am glad the loaner wheels are working for you Bob! And Lucy, you are sooo right! That is precisely why Bob wore out his wheels - they were bicycle wheels and couldn't take the side to side torsion. The spokes were constantly coming out and bending and the bearings were working overtime, finally gave out. I also suggested the metal wheels to Bob, Eve - great minds think alike!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back