Locks Of Love

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
This is the third time I have donated, but first time since I became 'ill' myself. My hair has always been my identity, people from horse shows usually know my hair and my horse LOL I'm blessed with great hair, grows fast and is super thick.

This time the donation is really meaningfull to me. Maybe I grew up and/or my illness made me realize how well I do actually have it. I'm so proud ( I know that sounds arrogant, not meant to) that I can donate such a simple thing as hair, and make someone, probably a little girls day. Maybe even her year
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My hairdresser was all teary when she was cutting it off. Dang if I wasnt too LOL Had a friend see me today and gripe me out for cutting it, untill I told her why, and she darn near strangled me hugging LOL. I go monday to visit my friend, who's husband is in the hospital loosing his 3rd fight with cancer. Gonna have to wear waterproof mascara I tell ya.

So, if you have an extra 10"s think about donating, that is what they want, but you really loose about a foot LOL. If you dont, but can grow it, nows the time to start planning. Just think about that person, who is not only fighting for their life, they too have lost their identity. I promise you , you wont only make your day, you'll make someone elses. :aktion033: www.locksoflove.com

Make someones day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a young girl named Morgan come into my salon this week and get her pony tail cut off this week to donate to be made into a wig for a child with cancer. I have another young gal coming in on Tuesday to do the same thing. It is a wonderful thing to do and I was just suprised to read on the Canadian Cancer Society's page that it take approximately twelve donated ponytails to make one wig for a child. It is a very worthwhile cause!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

I donated 15 inchs of my hair when I was 9 so yeah donated before and trying to grow it out super long so I can donate again and have some left.

I donated over 2 feet of mine some 5 years ago and went short.

It was way over do. It's only hair. It grows back. Change is good.

Chop it off.

12 ponytails to make one wig!!! Goooooood googly moogly They make it sound like only one is needed for locks of love, but maybe thats just how I read it LOL they show before and after pics Just so nice that people donate and that they take care of these kids like that

My hair is, well, was LOL way over 2' long. Was well past my beltline. Now its just barely below my shoulders! Least now I can use a regular pny tail holder and it stays up LOL Also instead of handfulls of conditioner, its just a little LOL Still weird not having it there, kinda like a pet ROFLAO! Before when I had donated, I let it grow just for that. This time its been long for a few years. Got entirely too used to it.

I have a while to go if I still want to have medium length hair after. I plan to someday.

An FFA advisor in my state is growing out his hair to donate it
default_smile.png

Great post. :aktion033:

Our niece just recently donated her hair to Locks of Love as well. She's of Italian descent, so you can imagine how thick it is.....and it was down to her waist when she had it cut up to her the top of her shoulders.

When my husband saw the photo of what she did he just about came UNGLUED......then read her e-mail about why she cut it and was suddenly very proud of her.

MA

I donated 12" a few years ago. They said 10" but I saw them measure it after. Im growing my hair out some more, & once its lng enough again, I will do the same.

I am about to the point of having the 12" that is needed. I was going to cut it a long time ago but decided I would grow it out and donate it.

The womens jail here in Maricopa County just had a donation drive. Many of the inmates donated their hair. There are a lot of people who think our sheriff is nuts for housing inmates in tents, using pink underwear (thats for the men) and using chain gangs again. However, there are a lot of inmates who appreciate being given the opportunity to work on the chain gangs and get out of the jails. There is a long waiting list. He has also turned the jails (with air conditioning) into kennels for abused animals. The inmates also work with the animals, and there is a long waiting list for those opportunities also.

Robin

P.S. it is a FELONY to abuse/neglect animals in Arizona. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

One thing you have to remember with Locks of Love is that if your hair is color treated in any way shape or form, they will not accept it. Something about the chemicals causing trouble for the patient.

I too am blessed with very thick and very fast growing hair. I wanted to donate it and was told they would not accept it. I get my hair highlighted. I look awful with the natural color that it is now. Was blond when I was young and I try to keep it kind of blond with highlights.

I was going to just keep growing my hair and keep donating it. I do believe permed hair is out also.

A Co-Worker of mine had her long, really beautiful hair cut this past weekend to donate, only to find out after they cut it, that because it was color-treated, they could not accept it. Thank You for posting this now, so that people will know before making the generous decision to do this, that it will be accepted.
default_yes.gif
:

Nancy
default_smile.png

One thing you have to remember with Locks of Love is that if your hair is color treated in any way shape or form, they will not accept it. Something about the chemicals causing trouble for the patient.

I too am blessed with very thick and very fast growing hair. I wanted to donate it and was told they would not accept it. I get my hair highlighted. I look awful with the natural color that it is now. Was blond when I was young and I try to keep it kind of blond with highlights.

I was going to just keep growing my hair and keep donating it. I do believe permed hair is out also.

that is a good point Sharon, there are several different organizations that take donations and I always suggest to any of my clients that are thinking of donating their hair that they research the organization online to see specifically what their guidelines are. There are several places here in Canada and each one takes different lengths, some want it braided, some not. Also there is actually one that will accept hair that has been chemically treated only once.

The reason for wanting virgin hair(never colored or permed) is that because it takes several ponytails to make one hand tied wig they have to color the final product to be all one color usually a color that the child chooses and well as a cut that the child chooses. Of course each time you color the hair it causes damage so starting fresh is the best way to go as this wig is going to get some major use on the head of a child!!!

What a great topic here!!!!!!

Even if they cant use it themselves, they will sell it and use the proceeds. I had forgotten about not accepting color treated hair. I dont do anything to mine, just let the sun bleach it out and man does it ever LOL

Maricopa inmates, I dont have a problem with them living in tents. If our Soldiers/airmen/sailors can and not 'die' from the heat/dirt, so can inmates. Think we are too lenient on them anyhow. JMHO

Latest posts

Back