Locked Stifles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag and Inti's Mom

Reaction score
On Saturday morning I was moving my filly from the barn to the pasture when we noticed that she was dragging both hind legs. She had bilateral locked stifles. Called the vet, the x-rays were perfectly normal, he thinks she got cast in the stall. She is now on Adequan and stall rest. Her left side is much better, but the right still appears stiff, not locked just stiff. This filly has had chiropractic adjustments as well and has been getting massage, which she by the way loves. I have never had any experience with locked stifles and would like some info. How long might she be stiff, what is the prognosis, what else can I do to help her out? You know, all that kind of stuff. I know that there are many very knowledgeable readers out there and I would love to pick your brains. Thanks in advance.

Nancy Katz

Hi Nancy,

Not saying it cant happen, but have never heard of casting in a stall causing both stifles to lock.

From what I have been told here, that is a most likely hereditary problem, or can be. An injury could also cause it, but you would think that it would be only the particular leg that was injured.

Confinement (like in a stall) makes it worse. In contacting my vet, she recommends lots of excercise- like get the horse fit, as that helps to strengthen the area a lot. This is not just turning the horse out she said, but actual forced excercise to get it into shape.

Sorry, havent really had any experience here, but that is what I have been advised. Perhaps others here can help out with actual hands on knowledge.

I agree completely.

This can be OK one day and full on locked the next, which I think is why Vets tend to say it is from casting or an accident in the field.

I have only ever had one horse in my life that had stifle problems from an injury- and that was one leg only. And it never recurred.

I have had a filly whose dam and sire were as sound as bells go out between one day and the next (Welsh filly) and a colt who started "clicking" at one year and was stifle locked six weeks later- I have heard of countless others, it is, unfortunately, very common in Minis and is undoubtedly the result of bad breeding programmes BUT that said, having had it happen to me between two days, and knowing sire and dam were sound, I do tend to be a bit more lenient towards the breeder who says "there was nothing wrong when he was here" as it could very, very easily be true.

You need to get a second opinion as keeping him confined is the worst thing you can do- according to my Vet!!

Last year I did have a mare cast in a stall,,,,,,,,I found her that way,,,,,,,,and she had back end problems everywhere,,,,,,,from trying to get up. She had enough muscle soreness, and knee soreness from the struggle, she walked almost as Nancy is describing.

We did put her on stall rest for 3 days to help her muscles recover,,,,,banamine too. The stall rest can and does make a difference between locked stifles and an actual injury. An injured body part needs some rest to heal. That is why our mare was up for 3 days, then put on a therapy type program.

She walked pretty good after 10 days,,,,,,,,,,after 14 days,,,,,you couldn't tell anything had happened.

Question here, is it styfle problem,,,,,,,or injury???

Just my experience.

Good luck!

I would do a search on the fourm on stifles and stifle surgery and I am sure tons will come up.

It is pretty hard for a horse to (espeically a mini) injur themselves to the point that BOTH stifles lock up- the key will be does he lock up again

Stifle locking is something that is intermetint and you kinda have to be in the right place at the right time to see it but ifyou look for evidence it will be easier to find.

Drag marks in the stall from locking till they unlock ect

sometimes they can go months without locking and then lock again and that is not from an injury but conformational issues

Thank you all for the information, one of the first things I did was check with the breeder. Definitely reputable, and nothing in the line for many generations back or with any other foals. I do truly believe this person. The vet had her on stall rest for just three days to heal any muscular injury. She was conditioned already and we will start reconditioning slowly. I have always done a lot of round pen work and lunge line work, not strenuous just consistent. She was in line to learn to drive. The adequan and the adjusting really seem to help. I have not noticed much locking since the first incident. On Saturday when it was very moist around here, she appeared stiff, but after being adjusted she seemed fine. Thank you for all your help, I will keep you all up on the situation. I will be working on walking her, no small circles and building up to trots etc. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nancy

Latest posts

Back