Light bulbs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Who else has stocked up on incandescent light bulbs, since as of yesterday they are no longer being manufactured and so will soon be unavailable on store shelves?

I bought a few packages plus stocked up on the 6000 hour 100 watt bbs that I use to heat my well in winter--I have enough of those to last through the winter of 2020/21 then will have to figure out something else to keep the water system from freezing. Actually....the hardware store just called to say they have 3 more packages for me...so I guess if I keep those bulbs for the well I would be okay through the winter of 2026/27. LOL. Might want those 6 for use in the house though!

I refuse to buy the CFL spiral bulbs--for several reasons...looks like I will have to go with halogen in the house. Halogen gives of no heat for the well though.
default_sad.png

YES!!! And the new bulbs I just HATE. They actually go dim after a little use and almost end up like a night light. Whose 'brilliant' idea was this to go to this other type of bulb. Not only that, the new ones have poisonous stuff in them and I am not sure I like that at all.

I saw a news site today that said the rough service bulbs would still be available -- but the only actual rough service bulb I have bought or even seen here did not last very long--these 'newcandescent' ones sound promising! I hope they will be available here.

I went to Home Hardware after work to get the 3 packages of long life bulbs they had set aside for me--and turns out there were six packages-so I got all of them. Actually they did have a few packages left on the shelf and they still had a small stack of regular bulbs--the clerk said they brought in skid loads of bulbs in December and they have sold almost all of them.

The thing I hate most about the new bulbs is they put out very, very little heat. I'm always putting a bulb in for some animal. I have 2 litters of puppies now and they have a 75 watt to help keep them warm. I have looked and looked for a 100 watt bulb, but can't find them. I was able to get a case of the 'old' bulbs, but wished I had been smarter and started buying them back when I first heard about the change. I meant to get bunches of them but the time went by so fast and suddenly it was December and now it's hard to find them. Thanks for posting the site to check, I will be looking for some of the 'rough' kind.

Pam

There will be plenty of incandescent bulbs around -- you'll just have to buy them on the black market. Now that pot is being legalized, the dealers can push bulbs.

I like CFLs, but you do have to be careful not to drop them. I strongly dislike halogen -- they are extremely hot and are a fire danger. I don't know why they wouldn't work where heat is desired, although I wouldn't use them for that. (I'm the daughter of a fire chief, so I can't help myself.)

I really want to try LED bulbs. They cost a lot, but they last forever AND use almost no energy. They come in warm, neutral, cool, etc., so you can get the warm "yellow" glow of an incandescent, the cooler "blue" tones, and color-balanced for art studios and where accurate color is essential.

They won't help with the heat, however, but that's one reason I like them -- less fire risk, fewer melted shades, etc.

Thanks Susanne, I wondered just how hot the halogen bulbs are--I've never bought any--we have a couple light fixtures I would use them in, and several that I wouldn't.

I have to check out the LED lights--I haven't noticed any on the shelves here, but then I haven't looked for them either. Until a couple weeks ago I thought LED lights were rope lights and Christmas lights--didn't know they come in "regular light bulbs" too. LOL I don't get out much. :D Some people are telling me they don't find that the LED lights are bright enough, plus they do dim with time.

I use 100 watt bulbs in my barn-old dairy barn converted for Minis I have several of the newer curly bulbs(not sure what they are called)and was swearing at them this AM.They give almost no light.I will be seriously looking for some 100 watt and stockpiling them Sometimes IMO progress is not always good for all of us.

It is ridiculous. Will we be able to get infrared heat bulbs?

I believe only 40 and 60 watt were banned. We'll have to check. I asked the hardware store clerk about heat lamps and he said they will still produce those. I hate the spiral bulbs as they are useless, producing no light whatsoever. IMO led bulbs are hideous. The light does not actually illuminate anything and they give off ugly light. I love the soft yellow glow of incandescent bulbs. I too am stocking up on the old good ones.

I bought 8 packs of 4 at the supermarlet today - 60's- I prefer 100's in the barn but missed the chance on them

I hate the new bulbs they don't come near putting out the light that the incandescent do

I'm all for energy efficent things but now we will need 2 builbs in place of 1 to maybe have the light we got from 1

so I don't see any energy savings there.

100 and 75 are the ones gone--40 and 60 will stay I think for another year--that's what it is here in Canada anyway. I don't even remember seeing 75s on the shelves, not in years.

I'm with you all. Free Country not free country*

*unless it doesn't align with a political agenda

We need the heat lamps, I hope they don't decide to ban those.

The bad thing, that really gets me, is fluorescents are bad for Autistic children. They have a flicker, that most people can't see, but an Autistic child does. That is why, also, so many people have headaches when being in a room with them overhead. So, having normal bulbs banned, isn't going to be good, at all.

Tab, I just checked out your link you put up and I am flabbergasted!! There is no way I would go to all that! Some how I must find the good bulbs. Guess I had better start saving money so I can buy them from the people who operate out of a dark ally. LOL

Pam

We will probably shift over to LED but I just hate the idea of regular bulbs being banned and being encouraged to use a bulb that is so much more toxic to the environment. Doesn't make sense. I just seems contradictory and controlling.

Picked up several packs of 60W and 75W incandescent bulbs today while in town. Most on the shelf were halogens, but they had a special display of store brand incandescent bulbs, so bought several.

Latest posts

Back