"Lethal" Defects in my Mini Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry you lost your beloved boy. He looked so sweet and I can see why he was loved so much. {{{hugs}}}
Thanks
default_smile.png

Tiki Died of Colick and she did have an Autopsy Done too.

Me and Laurie Talked and Talked and Talked we even had our Vets Talk ;)

I just wanted to show the Pics because they are Amazing (that he Lived so Long!)
Thats it? I sweare she told me she died of something else....

It appears from the photos..especially the last one, that the mesentary is also attached "inappropriatly" to the colon, in sync with the reduced area of the small intestine. It could be that the mesentary issue contribted to the the malformation of the small intestine in that area. When that area is stretched out, it should show almost a horseshoe shape of beautiful near clear membrane filled with venous structures...the vascular structures look like spokes of a wheel. It doesn't appear that the mesentary attachment would have allowed for that.

I have seen several horses of near your horses age, who have survived until for sometimes unknown reasons, the compromise to the structure takes a lethal turn. Surgery likely could have corrected the situation, but it would have certainly meant a resection, which can sometimes be a challenging (and expensive) recovery for the horse.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :no: He was a handsome little fellow and sounds like he was very special. When you said that he "liked to back his butt up to you so you could give it a rub", it reminded my of my little guy Silver, who just turned five.

It sounds like you have a great vet, too--one who's truly interested in helping horses and their people.

Hugs and prayers to you. May you find some comfort in your memories.

Tiki Died of Colick and she did have an Autopsy Done too.

Me and Laurie Talked and Talked and Talked we even had our Vets Talk ;)

I just wanted to show the Pics because they are Amazing (that he Lived so Long!)
Thats it? I sweare she told me she died of something else....
Well Laurie said it was Basicelly I can't SPELL lol

Some Sort of Colick

and our vets said that Rope was a Fluke

It appears from the photos..especially the last one, that the mesentary is also attached "inappropriatly" to the colon, in sync with the reduced area of the small intestine. It could be that the mesentary issue contribted to the the malformation of the small intestine in that area. When that area is stretched out, it should show almost a horseshoe shape of beautiful near clear membrane filled with venous structures...the vascular structures look like spokes of a wheel. It doesn't appear that the mesentary attachment would have allowed for that.

I have seen several horses of near your horses age, who have survived until for sometimes unknown reasons, the compromise to the structure takes a lethal turn. Surgery likely could have corrected the situation, but it would have certainly meant a resection, which can sometimes be a challenging (and expensive) recovery for the horse.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Wow! I never would have guessed that!

Maybe it's more Common then I thought!

Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss. :no: He was a handsome little fellow and sounds like he was very special. When you said that he "liked to back his butt up to you so you could give it a rub", it reminded my of my little guy Silver, who just turned five.

It sounds like you have a great vet, too--one who's truly interested in helping horses and their people.

Hugs and prayers to you. May you find some comfort in your memories.
Yes he was Quite the Character !!!

The day before he died I took him out Grazing in my Neighbors Field and their Chocolate Lab was helping him eat the Grass Rope didn't like that he Pinned his Back and gave that Dog a Bite! It was Pretty Funny that Dog was Twice the Size as Little Rope.

He would also Dream When he would sleep and he would Whinny and Run ;)

Latest posts

Back