Koda wears his Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Koda isn't liking the concept of being a driving horse. Ok so work is not part of his plans for the future. Life was so good just hangin with Dad everyday, no responsibilities. Then the shock hit. First he has to travel in the trailer alone all the way to Elma. Then he has to listen to his sister bragging about what a great driving horse she is and how happy she was to leave him behind. Why oh why did he have to follow her?

So after getting settled in and learning what life is like on his own. He had to put on this aweful piece of leather, then they stick this cold hard thing in his mouth. From what Dorothy said the Crupper was very upsetting. Hello nothing goes under the tail.

So here he is, enjoy the pictures.

DSCN1609.jpg

DSCN1608.jpg

DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN1604.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg

I can't put into words how much I appreciate Dorothy taking this boy on. If anyone can get him hitched and driving I know it is Dorothy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor boy, he does look rather disgruntled in that first picture
default_laugh.png
I'm sure once he realizes he can brag to his sister about what he's getting to do he will have a whole new outlook on this process
default_wink.png

Wow, that round pen has really filled up with water since I was there a couple of weekends ago!

Lolli says, "Don't feel bad, Koda... not everyone gets it right away like I did!"
default_risa_suelos.gif

I think he looks handsome in harness!
default_yes.gif

Daryl

If my lot are anything to go by, the fact that the round pen has puddles and potential mud in it is a plus!!

He'll get used to the idea, never fear, and once he realises all the extra fuss and attention being in harness brings he'll learn to love it.

No wonder you all in the NW have synthetic harnesses with all that mud!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
Although other places in Wisconsin can have mud, we have sand here!
default_aktion033.gif
Other than having to watch for sand colic and be diligent about monthly psyllium treatments, the sand is great! If we get a hard rain, it is GONE in an hour or so!

Myrna

default_new_shocked.gif
:

Mud?? What mud?? Oh, that. We had several "showers" yesterday that had over an inch in a few minutes. That has been the story of our winter. I soooooo want a covered arena. Rain pants just aren't cutting it.

Mud is a mainstay here. They run and play in it and the rain. Then they come in at night to dry out. They have grown up in it and love to roll in it. I give them time to dry their feet out and life is good. We really appreciate the dry days and make the most of them.

Koda is used to the mud and standing water. Once his training is done he will drive thru anything.

This is why 200 people here fall off their bikes and drown each year.

This is why 200 people here fall off their bikes and drown each year.
default_new_rofl.gif

And here...it is sunny, 39 degrees and climbing, melting snow, mostly dry gravel driveway, a little bit muddy paddock, with wispy clouds in the sky!
default_wub.png

(Why am I sitting at the computer?
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Bahhhh!!! HUMBUG!!!!! (where's that smiley that gives a raspberry?) I would LOVE a little mud (and Myrna, I don't even want to discuss my level of jealousy over your conditions) I'm still looking at 4 feet of snow, ice in the driveway and a long long road to anything resembling spring
default_crybaby.gif

Oh and Koda looks great in harness, poor boy wasn't ready to give up his free and easy teenage life. lol Welcome to adult hood little man, every one has to work at something (besides being handsome lol)

You have heard the term, "liquid Sunshine" right? And Moss grows all over the tree,not just the north side. LOL

Have to say that is why I went with a Zilco back then.

Koda looks really good in harness Marie!! He'll figure it out in time. VBG

I don't want it to seem like Koda is not smart. He is very smart and learns quickly. He just has trust issues after the trauma of his gelding procedure. He is very very sweet and so wants to please and do it right.

As soon as he builds his confidence he will do great.

Right now two of Jimmy's sons are in training so he has to be as good as his brother Chip and sister Duckie.@

Finally, good pictures of Koda! He really is a nice looking boy and if he's anything like his brother he's a good mover, too. Harness training is a big adjustment but he'll catch up fast and be so proud of himself when he figures out how to be a big kid like his sister.
default_wub.png
Can't wait to see more progress pictures!

RhineStone said:
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
Oh, I have a picture I need to post when I get home. You aren't kidding!

Shortpig said:
Mud is a mainstay here. They run and play in it and the rain. Then they come in at night to dry out. They have grown up in it and love to roll in it. I give them time to dry their feet out and life is good. We really appreciate the dry days and make the most of them.
Yep- live in a rainforest, learn to get wet!
default_biggrin.png
Both my boys love to stand out in the rain like complete dorks and get soaked from nose to tail. Then they roll in the mud, which of course sticks to that wet coat like anything. Bleah! It can take them days to dry out, by which time it's raining again. Ugh. There are times I'd kill for nice dry snow.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

We Are a tough group here in the Pacific NW. You can't carry feed and an umbrella at the same time. This is why we have so many beautiful flowers and everything is green

Koda is going to show his sibs how to move. One of these days I will get a video of him trottin and flagging his tail. He does think he's all that and more. _@

What a handsome boy. He probably thinks he can get by on his looks alone and shouldn't be required to work for his tucker..
default_488.gif

Koda is progressing in his training. Yesterday he worked in the poles and learned if you fidget they touch you but if you stand still they don't. Of course he will do just about anything it seems for Squeezy Buns. That's my boy. Will work for food. He even let Dorothy put that God Awful Crupper on without previous issues. He got to watch his Big Sister driving on Saturday and stayed totally focused on that
default_new_shocked.gif
. He was a little worrisome for him at first but then he just settled down and watched the show. I was explaining to him what was going on the whole time and that he could do it better with time. I'm sure that made him feel much better about the whole process.
default_biggrin.png

I'm excited for him as he needed a job to do. He will be good at it and if he moves in cart like he normally moves he will possibly be in single pleasure classes.
default_wub.png

He does like to prance and show off like his Sire.

Sorry I don't have any pictures yet to post. I'm sure there will be some in the future.

It can take them days to dry out, by which time it's raining again. Ugh. There are times I'd kill for nice dry snow.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia
Isn't that the truth! My big mare has a very full mane that frequently has an algea smell to it. Drives me nuts!

Koda is VERY handsome. I need to find our more about the training options we have in this area.

I just wanted to give an update on Koda and his progress. Duckie did so great with her training. As for Koda he has issues. Things scare him. I will say in one area he is the same as Duckie. He thought the pigs down the road would be his best friends. Not the case they ran away from him. Poor guy. That he couldn't understand.

Dorothy is giving it her best and continues to work with him. She is hoping he will soon trust her enough to concentrate on learning instead of will he get hurt if he does this. It seems he lacks self confidence. I knew he had these issues. He trusts me with his life but after the horror of his gelding procedure he has had huge issues and really doesn't like anyone hovering around the back side. He is very special to me and if he can't be a driving horse he will have a permanent job being his Dad's best friend.

He now has a best friend that he plays with in the pasture. That is good. Duckie doesn't play with him so he has found someone who will.

He is so cute in harness but for some horses driving just isn't in their future. Koda might be one of those.

Latest posts

Back