Kids - School and World Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bev66

Reaction score
For those of you who have kids how do you handle them being gone from school for an extended time for a horse show.. Granddaughter starts PreK next week- her mom works and i take her to school and pick up and she stays with me till mom gets off.. We live in a small town and there is no after school or daycare program ... She has always attended the World for the youth weekend but it looks like she will be staying all week this year.... For those with kids how do you handle the school... Shes just in Pre K but still want to know what complications i may face from the school..

Raven has missed school for about 2-3 weeks going to Nationals since like 1st grade or something. It is rarely a problem she is given work and does it while at the show. The past few years she has missed more like 3 weeks or a bit longer since she drives with someone from WA state to Tulsa and back and then comes home to ID.

She is starting High School this year and will miss the first month of school. She is a good student so making up the work and not getting behind is not really an issue for her.I discuss with school each year prior to the school year ending so they are expecting it in the fall.

I have always wondered how I got stuck with schools that absolutely dont allow this. We tried everything to get Kyle out of school for Nationals and we were told in no uncertain terms that it was not allowed and if we did do it he would be expelled for excessive absences. Then again Ohio still has truant officers LOL. My other son was sick with Mono one year and I gave the dr's note to the school. Still had a truant officer on my front porch threatening to write me up for my son not attending school.

We've had to pull "Trent" out of school several times for extended horse shows. What my daughter does is call his teacher and explain what is going on, the teacher sends home work for him to take to the show with him. Our problem is getting him to do the work, we take turns, as he not only wants to show, but play with all his horse show friends.

Latest posts

Back