Just wondering

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
Why is it there is no option to get memberships without the magazines (Journal and World) and have it at a reduced price? I don't really have the space to keep the magazines nor do I even bother to look at them. If I have questions I can get on the website and info is also sent through the e-newsletters. I would much rather pay 30-35$ for a membership and have the option of buying the publications separately. I know it might not seem like a lot of money to people, but I'm in a position where I have to make my pennies stretch. I would much rather take the 40$ (approximately) added for the magazines that I'm essentially throwing away and use it on other paperwork or something useful. Or maybe it's an option I'm just missing?

On the plus side, I did notice AMHR did away with the 10$ charge for changing a stallion to a gelding.
default_aktion033.gif

I sure don't have an answer to your question, but perhaps having the magazine included is to be sure all members get the association information that is in there each issue. Granted, both registries have their publications on line now. Nope, I don't have an answer for that.

I do have a suggestion....instead of throwing away the unwanted magazines how about donating them? To school libraries or children's hospitals, or vet offices?

Charlotte

You may want to keep the AMHR magazine as the registry uses it to publish updates and changes in policy, instead of sending out mailings.

I think with both magazines available online it's not really an issue of getting information out there. Both registries have an E-newsletter and pretty much any info you could want right on their website. Sending me the hard copy doesn't mean I'm going to read it anyway.
default_smile.png

I guess I'd rather just not spend money I don't have on something I don't need. The AMHA (Morgan) had your membership fee and the magazine subscription was separate. Some years I opted to subscribe and others I didn't, but I at least liked having the choice!

Don't get me wrong, I think both magazines are great, but really having to look at my spending (and storage space!) this past year it just got me thinking because the only other breed I've noticed has it set up that way is the IALHA (Andalusian).

On the plus side, I did notice AMHR did away with the 10$ charge for changing a stallion to a gelding.
default_aktion033.gif
that is great news have two stallions that are now geldings.

So I should do it this year, or is this going to be an on going thing with Stallions to a gelding?

Where did you see this?

thanks

It is probably cheaper for the registries to print a larger number of issues at once. Also, most advertisers like to know that 10,000 copies are going to print their ads, rather than like 300 copies or something (I have no idea the actual number). Also, it does ensure that ALL members are sent information, as some people do not have access to the Internet and such. There may also be a very small profit, so it is only of multiple benefits to the registries to require the magazines... otherwise they could do newsletters like some registries but the magazines seem to be the norm now.

Andrea

I for one love to get the magazines. They end up on the couch, in the "reading room," beside my bed, at my daughters, at shows. I love to look at the ads and read the articles. I don't like reading magazines on line.

At one time you could get the memberships separately. But that meant that certain information that had to be sent to members had to be sent out separately, most postage.

Any issues I'm done with - and that's very few as I occasionaly go back to look up horses in pedigrees, etc., I donate to our local reading programs.

I think with both magazines available online it's not really an issue of getting information out there. Both registries have an E-newsletter and pretty much any info you could want right on their website. Sending me the hard copy doesn't mean I'm going to read it anyway.
default_smile.png

I guess I'd rather just not spend money I don't have on something I don't need. The AMHA (Morgan) had your membership fee and the magazine subscription was separate. Some years I opted to subscribe and others I didn't, but I at least liked having the choice!

Don't get me wrong, I think both magazines are great, but really having to look at my spending (and storage space!) this past year it just got me thinking because the only other breed I've noticed has it set up that way is the IALHA (Andalusian).

how often does the E newsletter come out ? Ive been a member for years and Ive never recieved one

What you can do with your magazines if you don't want to throw them out, take them and leave them at the doctors or oil/lube/auto repair,(anywhere people have to wait). It helps promote the breed and you can always glue or stick a few business cards inside.

I know a Shetland breeder that gets a second sub just to do that.

As for having to receive it, much of the required information the registries need to share is in the magazines.

I do feel for you, the cost of two registries is expensive and any way to save a few $$ would be nice.

I find this interesting as I just had an AMHR client over for lessons other day - and we leave out old issues of all the journals we get on the desk for folks to read...

She saw an ApHC journal - commented on how huge it was LOL - asked what we pay to get it... told her it was included w/membership. Most of the large full-color journals are included w/membership fees these days.

Now how do the various breeds compare?

APHA (paint)- $40/w/free journal

AQHA (quarter horse)- $40w/free/Magazine

ApHC (appaloosa)- $55/w/free journal

PtHA (pinto)- $40w/free Magazine

ABRA (buckskin)- $15 no mag

PHA (palomino)- $30 no mag

AHA (arabian)- $35/w/free Magazine (they offer JUST membership for $25)

Most I looked up don't offer separate options for the journals/mags. Though I do find the fact that AMHR/ASPC has the highest fees... interesting. Small spendy little critter! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, after trying to navigate some of these other websites I don't think the AMHR is bad at all! I think I spent several minutes on one site just trying to find a membership app (couldn't find a general list of fees)! I guess it all comes down to what you're used to.

Reble - it's on their current work order. I had postponed sending in my guys 'cause it's not like he's being shown or anything so no big deal if he's "really" a gelding.

Andrea - I do understand the financial aspect of it and they have to do what they have to do. I was just curious because due to the cost I let my AMHA membership lapse for a while...until I absolutely HAD to have it for paperwork that couldn't wait.

Supaspot - I got my first ASPC/AMHR E-newsletter a couple weeks ago. It's something new they're trying, I believe.

Candi - when I looked it up the AQHA membership application (online) had a 40$ membership fee and an option to subscribe to the publication for 25$. The APHA said free 'newsletter' with the PHJ 30$/yr with membership or 35$ without. Arabian was definitely the cheapest with membership of 25$ and the mag 10$!

If anyone wants expensive, AMHA (Morgan) is 70$ membership with no TMH, IALHA (Andalusian) is 150$ for a full member (actually own one), FHANA (Friesian) is 60$ for a NON owner 130$ for a regular.

Overall I'm not unhappy with the cost of membership because from what I've seen most (I didn't check every one of them) of the actual fees are lower. I love that the AMHA does their memberships from when you sign up, not just specific dates so at least I am getting my full "year" membership. And the speed at which AMHR returns paperwork is GREAT! But when times are tough, you look for places to save anywhere you can!

that is great news have two stallions that are now geldings.

So I should do it this year, or is this going to be an on going thing with Stallions to a gelding?

Where did you see this?

thanks
Reble, it is on the work order--this change came into effect early this year and I don't believe it's a temporary thing, so there's no time limit on when to get your stallion to gelding changes done.

When I meet folks who are new to miniatures and call me to trim their feet, I give them a copy or two to see whats out there. Most newbies are getting miniatures cause they want to breed to make $$$ on them. Once they open the mag, they realize they might not be able too with how much you have to spend to make, and it usally changes their whole point of getting into minis and then start looking forward to showing them and enjoying them instead.

I also give them away to folks who buy a horse from me.

I personally whish we had a option to either pay for just membership fees without the mag as it would be cheaper, BUT I know that later on I will regret it as I would miss the mag too.

Just a note for those of us that do show.....the cost of our membership helps run the office. Other organizations, AMHA included and especially PtHA (for sure), continue taking money from EACH show for EVERY horse that enters with the excuse that it is needed to cover the office costs. I can hear the argument now that those that show need to shoulder that expense but our shows do not "payback" they only give acknowlegment to the horse & owner of what is best in our breed. The shows give us a venue to put this breed out in front of the public.

I'm fine with the amount we are charged (and I'll be happier when the magazine is out in a more timely fashion). I too "recycle" the magazine to my Dr.'s office (I mean have you ever seen a more boring selection of reading material than in a Dr.'s office?)

Reble, it is on the work order--this change came into effect early this year and I don't believe it's a temporary thing, so there's no time limit on when to get your stallion to gelding changes done.
Thanks Minimor. Just did not want to miss out.

This Forum sure does keep us updated.
default_saludando.gif

Wow, after trying to navigate some of these other websites I don't think the AMHR is bad at all! I think I spent several minutes on one site just trying to find a membership app (couldn't find a general list of fees)! I guess it all comes down to what you're used to.

Reble - it's on their current work order. I had postponed sending in my guys 'cause it's not like he's being shown or anything so no big deal if he's "really" a gelding.

Andrea - I do understand the financial aspect of it and they have to do what they have to do. I was just curious because due to the cost I let my AMHA membership lapse for a while...until I absolutely HAD to have it for paperwork that couldn't wait.

Supaspot - I got my first ASPC/AMHR E-newsletter a couple weeks ago. It's something new they're trying, I believe.

Candi - when I looked it up the AQHA membership application (online) had a 40$ membership fee and an option to subscribe to the publication for 25$. The APHA said free 'newsletter' with the PHJ 30$/yr with membership or 35$ without. Arabian was definitely the cheapest with membership of 25$ and the mag 10$!

If anyone wants expensive, AMHA (Morgan) is 70$ membership with no TMH, IALHA (Andalusian) is 150$ for a full member (actually own one), FHANA (Friesian) is 60$ for a NON owner 130$ for a regular.

Overall I'm not unhappy with the cost of membership because from what I've seen most (I didn't check every one of them) of the actual fees are lower. I love that the AMHA does their memberships from when you sign up, not just specific dates so at least I am getting my full "year" membership. And the speed at which AMHR returns paperwork is GREAT! But when times are tough, you look for places to save anywhere you can!
Darned slow internet - had a nice informative response here... crashed the web browser ;)

Anyhow (sigh LOL) - as to the memberships Arabian isn't the only one on that are affordable - many around $40 w/journals or magazines. We own 2 Friesians and one Friesian Sporthorse and our fees are $20/FSPR and $60 (yes a NON-Competing membership just like USEF does) per year. Both include the lovely Baroque magazines!

As for fees- I'd looked them up- but all the stock breeds I found were also $15/transfers (though ApHC and AQHA often do "bulk" rates - had a client that transferred 5 last year - only paid for 2). Registration (for weanling year) varies from $25-$35. Though keep in mind unlike AMHR - you only register once. There is no temp/perm (which I understand the rationale here). Saves you $$ there too.

Again, not bashing the associations, but it was a little hard to swallow for a new mini client that she had to pay $115 for membership and 2 transfers w/AMHR. If it were any of the "stock/breed" associations the fees would have been around half that. Changing and updating is a smart thing to do for businesses- and AMHR/ASPC is a business. When I look at what someone "gets" for their $60 membership....compared to say a $40 "stock breed" membership... there are HUGE differences - all-the-way down to the quality of the membership "cards". It doesn't need to be fancy - but then again I expect the fee schedule to reflect that.

And, we probably shouldn't even touch on the HIGH costs for dual registering. We have a Palomino SPB APHA mare that is quadruple registered for less than it would cost to dual register from AMHA/ASPC. The goal for any registry is quality numbers and membership.

Candi I am a bit confused AQHA is $40 for membership and $25 for their magazine

I have not ever heard anyone refer to only stock breeds as a breed show.. but that is just me. Usually in my years of showing there is breed shows (meaning any specific breed that you must have registration papers for to show in) and open circuit shows which could be anything from a local small open show to the different circuits of Hunter/Jumper - dressage- or West pleasure types of shows

Everyone has their own "slang" though heck in some parts people refer to filly colts and stud colts
default_wink.png

The answer to the size of the Journal is pretty simple. If we want a bigger thicker magazine then we all need to advertise in it more often. I myself usually only do it once a year so seeing as I am not shelling out the bucks every issue to advertise and help make it much thicker guess I am not complain much about the size
default_yes.gif

We would all like things to be a bit cheaper to help us save money but horses are not cheap it surely is one of those things that we pay to play

I myself have had to sacrafice and chose not to join Pinto due to additional costs and how it was not really benefical to me as well as AMHA although I will admitnow a few years later I am seriously considering joining AMHA again or at least having Raven join we do have 2 AMHA registerable horses but the cost does come into consideration

We all have preferences and there are things might be different in AMHR/ASPC and things I wish might be different in Pinto and QH but we all are different registries with different horses and different needs last thing I would ever want is all registries to be totally uniform

Just a note for those of us that do show.....the cost of our membership helps run the office. Other organizations, AMHA included and especially PtHA (for sure), continue taking money from EACH show for EVERY horse that enters with the excuse that it is needed to cover the office costs.)
I see that - but for example - I showed at the largest APHA show on the west coast last year. With our SPB filly - it was a SIX-JUDGE show - and I paid $24/class. $5/administrative fee. Showing ApHC regular classes - paid $28 for a Quad-Judge class. AQHA- well they're a whole'nother story (sigh VERY spendy).

They all have lower membership fees- and more "freebies" to members' perks. And, their classes were WAY cheaper per judge than any AMHR/ASPC show in the INW. Something to ponder. Higher membership fees- does not translate to lower show costs.

Enchantress- I sent you a PM. I am just starting out with minis and showing and I would love to get some of the magazines.

Candi--I don't quite get the point in making comparisons between ASPC/AMHR fees and the fees charged by the stock breed associations. This isn't any of the stock breeds, it is ASPC/AMHR! Perhaps you should count yourself lucky that you got by with such low fees in those other breeds, and be glad that ASPC/AMHR isn't as costly as some different breeds are.

Morgans for instance. The Canadian Morgan Horse Assoc. makes ASPC/AMHR look very reasonable!

CMHA membership: $55 plus $10 magazine surcharge (covers mailing expenses)

Foal registration: $49.50 For non-members that is $165 (DNA of course is extra, $91 I believe)

Yearling registration $110, non-members would pay $286. Again, DNA would be extra.

If we Canadians buy a US Morgan, once the US papers get transfered into our name, we then have to pay a Canadian registration fee of $71.50 (more if we don't do it within 12 months of import)

Transfers are $55 within 6 months of sale, $110 if done after 6 months.

Those fees make ASPC/AMHR look pretty reasonable!

When it comes to showing.....

To show at an EC sanctioned Morgan show, we have to pay $160 in EC memberships...that covers a membership and sport license, and I think the provincial levy as well. That is in addition to the above $55 CMHA membership. I was just the other day looking at a show book from the 2010 show in another province....Stall fees were $70, plus there was an office/medic fee of $20 per horse plus there is a $7 drug test fee. I don't even remember now what the entry fee was....because by that point I knew that I could not possibly afford to show at such a show & I quit adding up expenses for it! I would have had to pay $160 for my EC membership and $97 per horse before I even got around to entering a single class.

In comparison, at the two ASPC/AMHR shows I entered this past summer, I showed 5 horses at the first one (one judge/triple points) and paid a grand total of $140; at the 2nd show I entered 6 horses (4 judges) and paid a total of $220. Because I do want to collect All Star and HOF points for my horses, I do have my ASPC/AMHR membership. If I didn't want to bother with those award systems, I could show my horses without buying any membership at all (unless I were entering Nationals or Congress)

I don't figure that I have anything at all to complain about when it comes to ASPC/AMHR fees--in spite of the fact that I pay $76 US for my membership instead of the $65 that you pay--and if I did have complaints and figured that my other breed (Morgans) was so superior, well, I would likely have chosen to stay with that breed.
default_biggrin.png

Back