Just some Qs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naira3284

Reaction score
Q#1= Ok, well I would like to know how much you feed your minis, what you feed them, when you feed them, and why for all. Just thought it would be interesting to see how other people do it.

Q#2= What size are your stalls? and why? lol

Thank you
default_saludando.gif

PS: this might be also helpful for the beginners.

Mine are both really easy keepers. They are 11 years old, 30" and 33". They get the same grain, a quarter pound equnie jr, and a large handful (probably a cup and a half) beet pulp morning and night. The 33" gets a very small flake of orchard grass in the evenings, the 30" gets a small flake of alfalfa because she was getting thin over her topline (fine everywhere else). They get about a flake each of the orchard thrown three times a day while they are out, since our pasures are pretty bare. In the summer all we do is cut back on the hay, so they are just getting a little handful to keep them busy in the stall. Then they are out with muzzles all day.

They have 6'x12' stalls. When we first moved here, we had four horses (2 big, 2 mini) and everyone had their own 12'x12' stall. Then we added another big guy, and the minis had to share. Then we added another and my dad made me mini stalls out of what had been my cross tie area. I think they like their little stalls better than the big ones because they can see and touch eachother, and see what is going on in the barn. We also have a 8'x12' that was going to be used as a foaling stall (built in the middle of the aisle) which now houses a 12.3 hand pony. We are bursting at the seams! In fact, my newest was displaced to the neighbor's house for somewhere to sleep at night
default_laugh.png

Here are some pics of the stalls, the walls/ doors are 34" tall

P1010372.jpg

P1010368.jpg

P1010369.jpg

All of our minis are on Strategy, soaked bp and alfalfa hay. I do add 12:12 mineral and each horse has a white salt block in their stall and free salt is available in the turnout areas. The amount fed varies from horse to horse. I have a couple of mares that get fat on air and get a relatively small portion in comparisson with say my yearling geldings.

Our barn consists of 5 8x12 stalls. That was all that there was ever intended to be, but then another horse moved in and an 8x16 stall was built and then another horse moved in and that stall was divided into 2 8x8 stalls. Then another moved in and another and 2 more 8x8 stalls were added. There is no more room to add on. I personally don't care for the 8x8 stalls for anyone over 30". I love our barn. Its simple, but hubby built it and I love it. The only flaw with it, is that it is an open air style barn and the overhangs are not long enough and here in Fl when we get that horizontal rain my stalls get flooded. This past year we put pull down tarps on and they keep the weather out. They don't look attractive, but they do serve their pupose. They also keep the cold wind we've been having lately out.

I have mostly ponies - Shetlands, American Show Ponies. But I started out in the mini world. My stalls are 8X12 's. Plenty of room for just about anything.

For a feeding program, build from the ground up. Test your hay to see if you have enough protein in it. Then build from there.

Generally most minis can handle just 12% protein, some need 14%. Depends on weight of miniature or pony as to how much they get.

I will echo Candice on the minerals/vitamins. Most feeds are made for horses over 1,000 lbs. So to get all their nutritional needs met from it, you would have to feed a 1,000 lb. horse size portion (most are usually 4 lbs.) SOOOOOOO

Miniatures can't have 4 lbs. Have a loose mineral/vitamin available in pens and stalls or top dress into their feed ration.

I use the top dress, I mix it with beet pulp and grain to make sure they get it into themselves.

I also prefer a pelleted feed over a mix as I believe there is little wasted when consumed.

Also - I would suggest a rotational worming program for your region.

Hay - depends on weight of pony/horse. Generally the rate is 1-2% of bodyweight.

Hope this helps!

awesome!

keep them coming
default_wink.png

BTW, jleonard your stalls look nice!
default_wub.png

Q#1= Ok, well I would like to know how much you feed your minis, what you feed them, when you feed them, and why for all. Just thought it would be interesting to see how other people do it.
Q#2= What size are your stalls? and why? lol

Thank you
default_saludando.gif

PS: this might be also helpful for the beginners.

Any mini or pony that is NOT on any kind of pasture gets approximately 2% of their body weight in hay/grain.....That is adjusted according to their need. And their need can vary according to the weather, their activity level, or if they are pregnant/lactating.

Sometimes an individual's needs can change, so every week or so (especially in winter) we like to run our hands over each horse to make sure there is a good layer of flesh over their backs and along their ribs.

We do have some horses on pasture and throughout the winter they are also subsidized with hay.

Everyone has a mineral salt block.

We feed a 14% senior complete feed to those who get grain.......OR we feed Strategy if the senior isn't available.

All of our horses are fed morning and night.

At our previous place, WE built the barn to our specifications. All ten stalls were 12x12. Four years ago we moved and our new place had a small barn already built for "big" horses. Right now we have 6 stalls that vary between 12x12 to as big as 12x16.

Because of the size of our herd, we cannot stall everyone, so the barn is mainly a foaling area, plus for special needs cases. Frankly I miss our OLD barn more than I do the house!

Latest posts

Back