Just Now listening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
He just closed his mouth..WANTS EQUAL pay for woman..good yeahhhh..now here is an interesting thing..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On average, Obama’s female staffers earn just 83 cents for every dollar his male staffers make. This figure certainly exceeds the 77-cent threshold that Obama’s campaign website condemns. However, 83 cents do not equal $1. In spite of this 17-cent gap between Obama’s rhetoric and reality, he chose to chide GOP presidential contender John McCain on this issue.

When Alaska governor Sarah Palin was named the Republican vice-presidential nominee, Obama told voters in Toledo, Ohio, on August 31 that “she’s opposed — like John McCain is — to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Obama’s criticism notwithstanding, McCain’s payment patterns are the stuff of feminist dreams.

McCain’s 17 male staffers split $916,914, thus averaging $53,936. His 25 female employees divided $1,396,958 and averaged $55,878.

On average, according to these data, women in John McCain’s office make $1.04 for every dollar a man makes. In fact, ceteris paribus, a typical female staffer could earn 21 cents more per dollar paid to her male counterpart — while adding $10,726 to her annual income — by leaving Barack Obama’s office and going to work for John McCain.

How could this be?

One explanation could be that women compose a majority of McCain’s highest-paid aides. Among his top-five best-compensated staffers, three are women. Of his 20-highest-salaried employees, 13 are women. The Republican presidential nominee relies on women — much more than men — for advice at the highest, and thus, best-paid levels. (For a detailed analysis of these figures, click here.)

In short, these statistics suggest that John McCain is more than fair with his female employees, while Barack Obama — at the expense of the women who work for him — quietly perpetuates the very same pay-equity divide that he loudly denounces. Of all people, the Democratic standard bearer should understand that equal pay begins at home.

I think the more people honesty look into things, the more they will see a wide space between what Obama says and what Obama does or did.

Thanks, Christine, for sharing your observation with us
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
AH, if they want to see the truth. But so many do not. I prefer to think my life is more of the glass is half full than half empty and will continue to do so.

Thanks Christine.

Do you guys like my newest quotes?

I knew I liked McCain/Palin.

A smart man he is if he relies on women alot. Its about time we got credit for having brains and the sense to be in a mans world... Example-Sarah Palin.. I really like her alot...

Some men are open minded where others still live in the caveman days!!

I have a Man friend who says he really thinks a woman president would be better, says women are more organized, even tempered, realistic ( not heads in the clouds like men) they pay attention to what is going on around them, cope better with problems...

Missy

You are right Missy. Are you watching McCain now? He is such a smart man period.

What positions do the women on McCain's staff hold vs. the positions on Obama's staff? I wouldn't expect a secretary or assistant to a political adviser to make the same money AS the political adviser.

I've found a few blog posts about this, but nothing solid. If it crops up in the news while I'm at work can someone give me a link? I'm heading off for the weekend and it'll bother me if I can't read up on this!

What positions do the women on McCain's staff hold vs. the positions on Obama's staff? I wouldn't expect a secretary or assistant to a political adviser to make the same money AS the political adviser.
So, it would be better if most of the women on Obama's staff hold low level positions, better if he doesn't use women in high ranking jobs. Okay... yeah, that's fair.

I've found a few blog posts about this, but nothing solid. If it crops up in the news while I'm at work can someone give me a link? I'm heading off for the weekend and it'll bother me if I can't read up on this!
What differnence does it make?? Bet the cleaning lady gets just as much as the cleaning man!
default_laugh.png

Wow, take out of context much?

If the women who work with Obama HAPPEN to hold lower positions as implied in the original post, would you not expect for them to be, on average, earning lower wages? Regardless of gender, who makes more money? The manager, or the person working the counter?

I suspect this has less to do with sexism than is being implied.

Seriously. You'd have to say McCain's female employee filling X job position makes $_____, vs. Obama's female employee filling the same position makes $_____ for this to be a remotely fair comparison. Even IF the women weren't making comparable wages, so what? Are their benefits the same? How long has each woman held the position? What is her performance record? Qualifications?

Ahh but mininik that would be actually presenting facts not a one sided slant that can make it sound better for a certain side. Now that would be just silly!
default_wink.png
default_rolleyes.gif

If some people were as skeptical about the things they feel favor Obama as they are about the ones they feel don't, man would they find A LOT more material to consider
default_laugh.png

Hey, I'm skeptical about all politicians.

If anyone has the answers to Mininik's questions, I'd like to hear them since I already expressed similar concerns in an earlier post.

Obama comes from a single parent family. His Mom and Grandparents raised him. I think that gives him an up close and personnal view on the equal pay issue. Also he is married to an intelligent powerful woman whom he treats with respect. Do I feel he will work toward equal pay you betcha. He has an ingrained respect for women.

Latest posts

Back