Just a "Heads Up" about Black Nightshade

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugs do seem to like to eat on nightshade leaves....I have seen caterpillars and slugs on it.....but sure other bugs do eat it too. Aphids don't chew plant leaves they attach to the underside leaf and are very very small and almost hard to see due to their camo color....they are a plant sucking type of insect...they feed off the plant juices. We had them in our soybeans this summer and had to spray for them....

As someone mentioned the flowers are sometimes light pale purple in addition to some are white. I think in different areas plants strains may vary but it still is nightshade. Nightshade has both male/female parts so all it needs is a insect to polinate the flower and it produces the ''berries''. Which are green until they ripen and then are black.

Nightshade is in the same family as the popular tomato and peppers that we humans eat.

I found another close up picture online from Cornell University of the leaves....thought it might help.

Picture of nightshade

Haven't read all, but wanted to add somethings.

We went through this poison several years ago, several mares got into it.

My mares had lush green grass at the time and chose to eat the nightshade. It was in a corner of the pasture next to neighbors soybean field.

We got rid of it by pulling it, I had to make sure it didn't happen again.

4 mares ate it,,,,,,,2 got pretty bad.

What saved them was a Charcoal Suspension. I now keep at least 4 bottles on hand. Would never be without it.

Latest posts

Back