Just a couple question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C. Miniature Horse Farm

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I love this board because I can ask questions and not feel dumb,hehe! Well anyways I got a couple of questions for showing! 1. Is a plastic sack tied to a lunge whip ok for liberty? I was out today in the barn and rattled a sack and my weanling colt was putting on a show! He'd buck,kick,and snort, put his tail in the air,run around,then walk up and see what I was doing.2. What do ya'll suggest is the best show halters? I have been using beaded and they seem ok,but if I am going to show properly, it seems I need a BKM,do ya'll agree,or disagree? 3. Lastly, (ok this one is going to be a little dumb blonde question from me,lol) but is there such thing as showing off to much,or to little? I am sure it is,but what do you all say? I have been watching the halter classes,and I have seen everything from just standing there(which IS what I did as I was shy to do the little "dance" thing) ,all the way to stomping thier feet,and getting down on the ground,ect?

These questions just crossed my mind,and me being still new to the show world,thought I would ask!!
default_yes.gif
: Thanks for the help !!! :saludando:

The plastic sack is fine. I've seen sacks, plastic bottles with rocks inside (to shake like a rattle), and streamers on a stick or even a whip.

Most of the show halters are rolled leather or cable sides (with or without ferules or conchos) with a noseband. The ones that are entirely cable (including over the nose) with beads are sort of out of style. Take a look at minitack.com for ideas.

As to the "showing off". Not sure what you've seen but the best look IMO in halter class is a well trained horse that responds to the least amount of pleading, popping, hopping, begging, etc. If your horse sets up well and you stand off and let him/her show off instead of you, that's the best way to do halter.

i dont use plastic sacks as I dont want my horses to go running off every time they see a sack. I think this is especially important for driving horses. I prefer to train mine with a whip and train them to trot and canter on command. Takes a lot more time then using a sack but I think its worth it.

I do think the nicer halters like BKM and Victor are better to show in then beaded ones

Once you have done halter more you will feel more comfortable showing your horse. Remember its your job as its handler to show that horse to its best. Laura told me at nationals "i dont care if you have to stand on yoru head to get his ears up just do it" LOL. As long as you are not doing anything to disrupt horses around you, do whatever it takes to get that horses head, neck and ears. I like to bend at the knees so it doesnt look like im towering over my horse. Biggest mistake most of us make is standing too close to the horse or blocking the judges view of the horse

I agree with KayKay about the importance of getting your horse's ears up... and that arch in the neck... Just becareful not to become too distracting. You want the judge's attention drawn to your horse not you. Good luck!! :aktion033:

Thanks you guys!! Yeah I thought about that too,as far as the sack actually becoming a :new_shocked: to them instead of just a cue,I sure don't want to stress em' out! They all are my "babies" lol!
default_wub.png
:

I went to a Clinic this summer, put on by Lee Crutchfield where we were told that " I can not stand to see someone walk into a Liberty Class with a plastic sack tied to a lunge whip" ..."liberty is about style, grace and beauty, not about terrorizing your horse" .

I had never given it much though as I'm still new to showing minis, but this makes complete sense. Also, was told to be very mindful
default_wink.png
: of the music you choose .

The one thing I always wanted to know and I keep forgetting to ask....... how did Liberty get it's start??

I might be mistaken, but I believe this is the only breed that offers such a class in shows. Does anyone know the history of Liberty Class.

I went to a Clinic this summer, put on by Lee Crutchfield where we were told that " I can not stand to see someone walk into a Liberty Class with a plastic sack tied to a lunge whip" ..."liberty is about style, grace and beauty, not about terrorizing your horse" .

I had never given it much though as I'm still new to showing minis, but this makes complete sense. Also, was told to be very mindful
default_wink.png
: of the music you choose .

The one thing I always wanted to know and I keep forgetting to ask....... how did Liberty get it's start??

I might be mistaken, but I believe this is the only breed that offers such a class in shows. Does anyone know the history of Liberty Class.
Hey,you know what,that is a good question,what is the history of liberty class?

a lot of big horse breeds also have liberty class. Now this is just my observation but the big horses are much more well trained for liberty class then the avg miniature. So many miniature people just throw them out there and chase them (yes with bags tied to sticks lol) That really isnt what Liberty is about. Now i have seen some AWESOME trained miniature liberty horses but they are few and far between. Im hoping next year Crunch will be one of them lol.

to me liberty is about a beautifully moving horse with presence. *you cant train presence the horse just has to have "it"*

The music should absolutely fit the horse. The horse should trot and canter and reverse directions and trot and canter again.

The best horse i ever saw was one in Illinois. The horse kept its eye on the handler the entire time and all the handler did was give a hand signal to change gaits and directions. The music so perfectly fit this horse it almost brought tears to our eyes watching. THAT to me is a liberty horse

Latest posts

Back