It's almost Showtime....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimfessel5

Reaction score
What shampoo, spray, gel, hoof polish etc... is your Favorite, what can't you do without?

I personally like the Shapely brand products, especially the finishing

spray.
default_yes.gif
:

Please share....

Miracle Groom spray and wipes, Grand Champion Pepi spray, Ultra hoof polish enhancer.

okay i will admit i am addicted to the smell of pepi!! LOL. What is it about that stuff?? everytime i enter a show barn i inhale and go ahhhh the smell of pepi is in the air LOL. yeah im a dork. but i know my son kyle is the same way
default_yes.gif
:

since i show mostly pintos i cant be without white chalk or a can of white spray for tails.

Eversince they came out I love the Equine Care Series products by Oster. I use their grooming supplies and there shampoo and conditioner, and I have to say I've never been happier until I used their shampoo and conditioner it really works. I also use Oster's clippers and blades and really like them. The only thing I wouldn't get from the Equine Care Series is their grooming towels, they are exactly like baby wipes, perhaps a little thicker then baby wipes though.

For the show sheen I really like Jeffers show sheen. I also really like the hoof spray, can't remeber what its called, but it makes their hooves really shiny, and for the horses you don't want to put any black hoof polish on, well clean up their hooves and spray this on, no need for the clear hoof polish. You can get it at Ozark just can't remeber what its called.

PEPI!!!!! Its the smell of show season, i love that stuff.

I also cannot live w/out Ultra hoof black and hoof polish inhancer. Baby oil jell is another product that i love.

We work hard not to spray a lot for shine so try never to be without the trusty pieces of burlap sack and tons of elbow grease plus a little rubbing alcohol for the glow... :bgrin

pepi pepi pepi ..!! I am addicted to the smell haha. Also Herbel Essences people "Shimmery Nights" spray look SO nice under a shine! As well as Silvardo Black Nose "goop" or highlighter :bgrin

BABY WIPES!

I use them to get the horse grooming products off my hands. It's so hard to hold onto the show lead otherwise!

Cowboy Magic detangler is the best thing I have found lately! Really puts a shine on a black tail. Not to mention that it is great for getting tangles out. :aktion033:

I recently found this stuff called, "Love That Tail" Mane and Tail Conditioner. I LOVE it! It made Willie's mane, forelock, and tail SO soft and shiny. Still 2 weeks later after I last applied it in his mane, I can still feel it.
default_yes.gif
:

:aktion033:

Baby wipes, gotta get that stuff off your hands, and baby oil jell.

Robin

Show sheen after batheing .... baby oil and hair gel before going in the ring ... paper towels for my hands after putting on the "makeup" AND to keep with while in the ring - never know when they'll blow! ... just to name a few.

Lots and lots of baby wipes and as many have mentioned, Pepi!!!! That stuff is the smell of show season for me! :aktion033:

I love, lets see, ahah I have a whole thing full of stuff I put in on my horses....

COWBOY MAGIC=<333 so nice

Show Sheen, works really well, love it too

I use diluted hair gell to keep my horses hair down it works really well.

When I bath I use this stuff called basic H, works awesome to keep my horses clean, considering they are pintos, thats a good thing ahah

And my hoof polish is nice, but I dont like how dry it makes the hooves...

Never pseronally liked that show goop around there mouths and eyes stuff, I think it makes the horse look funny JMO

My favorite show prep is a great diet and regular, progressive exercise...

Orchard grass, LMF Showtime, beet pulp and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Rather than cutting back on feed as we approach show season,, I increase exercise.

With this, Mingus needs little else -- he sheds out to a blindingly glossy coat. We share the same shampoo -- Citre Shine -- and I rinse, rinse, rinse -- then rinse some more.

I love Cowboy Magic for smooth, tangle-free mane and tail.

While I don't bald muzzles or eyes, I clip them close, then spray Mink Oil on my hands and apply to the muzzle and ear tips. This gives a soft, velvety sheen that I love. I've tried it on his body coat, but it didn't make it any shinier than it already was.

I used to use Shine, a pommade, but it is terribly drying, so I've dropped that one.

I put black shoe polish on hooves, then clear hoof polish. I plan to try matte artist fixative, but haven't done it yet... The black shoe polish is also for touching up the grey hairs in the black points on his legs.

Finally, YES to the baby wipes...I had a "slip-away" once in the show ring due to slippery hands...can you say doofus?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be my first year showing a mini, but on my Quarter Horse I like:

-Healthy Hair Moisturizer - Use it year round. After baths, under sheets and blankets, after grooming, for extra shine, to keep the hair soft. It produces a great shine, and conditions the hair, without having a sticky buildup. A 16 oz bottle makes 1 gallon, and I pay around $9 for it.

-SuperPoo Shampoo - Non Drying, sudses good, rinses easy, smells good, and gets them clean the first time. Costs about $8 a bottle, but It's the best Ive used so far (but I want to try the healthyhair shampoo)

-Silverado Face Glo(Clear) - Nice smell, VERY concentrated, and now they have added sunscreen to it (I'll have to get a new container, since mine is old, and dosent have the sunscreen)

-Farnam SlickNEasy block - To remove any loose hairs and dust. Also helps with shedding.

-Lusters Pink Sheen Spray - (Human Product-Oil Sheen for ethnic hair) Awesome for that pepi like shine. Works great on mousy, fresh clipped areas(oops, clipped her a few days late..) Has Mink Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Panthenol and sunscreen in it. Can pick it up at walmart, beauty stores, and even the dollar general store. Costs about $2

-Micro Fiber dusting cloth- To pick up any dust on the coat and give a final rub down. Makes them really shiny. Can get them at any any grocerystore or houseware store. Cost, no clue, I just take a few when my mom buys a bag.

-Hand towel washed in baby oil- I used this before I discovered the dusting cloths....I would soak a hand towel in baby oil, then wash it. A little bit of the oil stays on the towel. Then hang it up to dry. I would use it to "buff" my horse before we went into the ring. The baby oil residue gave her a nice shine, without looking oily, and she wasnt freshly sprayed and wet going into the ring.

What I really want to find is a fly spray/sunscreen/shine spray in one, that actually works. The only flyspray that works for me is Bite Free, Ive even Tried Tri Tech, and it dosent work as well.

I put black shoe polish on hooves, then clear hoof polish. I plan to try matte artist fixative, but haven't done it yet... The black shoe polish is also for touching up the grey hairs in the black points on his legs.
Is this the kind that is liquid and has a built-in sponge on the end and you shake it and then apply? Of is it the paste kind that comes in a tin and you wipe on with something?

Must haves for me are:

Baby Wipes

Baby Oil Gel

Nail Enamal Dryer

Laser Sheen

Healthy Hair Moisterizer

Hand Towels

Latest posts

Back