It's a race on Mare Stare: Sugar and Ralphie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow. i think sugar will go first, since she went at 310 last yr
default_smile.png

Sugar foaled at 9:30am. Her milk was still testing 6.5 at 7am. So I didn't expect it. Had computer on at work but hadn't really looked at it... glanced at it and grabbed my glasses and flew home. 10 minute drive. Luckily half way home I already knew the foal was out and head was free of the sac.

She gave us a solid black colt. Out to help him find the faucets.

Ralphie is at 6.5 also... I'm afraid to go back to work...

Congrats, what a cute guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've given her banamine. And he took a while but he did latch on. I was concerned too. He kept poking everywhere but on the nipple. I've heard him swallow and have seen him latch on. Thanks for the concern.... I will definitely watch to make sure he continues to thrive.

I had given Sugar banamine before but she still seems pretty uncomfortable so I gave her another cc.

I've had to give plasma transfusions before and it is expensive!!! So we are careful about getting them to nurse within 4 hours.

Ralphie is between 6.5 and 6.25.

I'm watching Ralphie right now...Missed birth, but you are putting a blanket on the baby...Is he OK???
default_unsure.png

I'm still watching...poor little baby! It brings tears to my eyes...
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He was shaking so badly I thought he might be cold. He was almost convulsing. Then he lay out flat and was barely responding to anything. I have never had a foal do that. So I called the vet who was coming out anyway and by that time he was doing okay. He still has me worried, though.

Many congratulations on your two new babies - I hope the little one will be ok. Did he arrive a bit fast? Sometime the shock of a really fast birth can make the foals act a bit funny for a short while - almost as though they need time to sort of catch up with their birth.LOL!

Let us know what your vet says please - meanwhile, again many congrats!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

No, he's not a pinto. I got several surprises this year.

And he's wearing a pink blankie... I only have 1 of each and the black colt from this morning got that one.

He is nursing and doing well.

Well the foaling seemed to take forever but he was out in less than 10 minutes. He was very active in trying to get up then he kinda crashed.

Yeah, that was really strange...I really thought you were losing him...but, all of a sudden he just sort of bounced up and (with help getting him there by you) he was standing! I hope he continues to thrive!!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back