It happens in Three

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael never wanted to grow up, and while he couldn't manage to avoid adulthood, now he will never grow old. I hope he finds his eternal boyhood and his forever never- never-land, and the innocent happiness he seemed to crave.

With this in mind, I'll choose to remember Michael during his meteoric rise, before he fell back to earth. One early song that always touched my heart is "Ben," a love song for a rat. Any animal lover would understand.

Another song puts me back in 1984, slow dancing under a disco ball: "The Lady In My Life." Okay, perhaps not from his heart, but it wasn't from the heart of my then-boyfriend, either, as much as I hoped it was. No matter, the song's refrain still gives me goosebumps.

No matter what you think about him, unless you were under a rock for the past 50 years, Michael Jackson was omnipresent as few ever are.

Goodbye, Michael

Matt, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say you were wrong. I guess I didn't see what you saw. I haven't seen much about him for quite a while. All I know is he was accused of everything a human being can be accused of doing, and of course not meaning he didn't do any of it. I don't know what he did or didn't do. I do know his life ended up being BRUTAL because of it all.
default_no.gif

Matt, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say you were wrong. I guess I didn't see what you saw. I haven't seen much about him for quite a while. All I know is he was accused of everything a human being can be accused of doing, and of course not meaning he didn't do any of it. I don't know what he did or didn't do. I do know his life ended up being BRUTAL because of it all.
default_no.gif

No need to apologise
default_wink.png
Just saying what I saw...

I want to and will always remember Michael in his "innocent" boyhood days when Jackson 5 was big and then when he went solo and "thrilled" us all with "Thriller"....still LOVE that music video! Yes, he had a turbulant adulthood and made lots of mistakes along the way (and was made fun of for most of them), but he was still a phenomenal entertainer and that is what I will always remember....RIP Michael!

I want to and will always remember Michael in his "innocent" boyhood days when Jackson 5 was big and then when he went solo and "thrilled" us all with "Thriller"....still LOVE that music video! Yes, he had a turbulant adulthood and made lots of mistakes along the way (and was made fun of for most of them), but he was still a phenomenal entertainer and that is what I will always remember....RIP Michael!
Me too. RIP!

To be honest, I saw in the news on Monday that Ed McMann had passed........and this morning Farrah.......so when the news reported this afternoon that Michael Jackson had been admitted to the hospital with a possible heart attack, I suspected he would be the THIRD.......

May God and their Angels Bless EACH of them........

RIP Michael. His music was part of the fabric of my life. The last 15 years or so he became a tragic caricature - so obviously not comfortable in his own skin. I wish he had stopped messing with himself after the release of Bad... that transformation was enough. But things got increasingly bizarre after that. In both his public and private life.

I'll remember the good times - not the fragile, troubled spectacle that he became. Before that, there was magic.

Like the Motown 25 TV special back in 1983... Billie Jean.

I wish I had seen him in concert then.

I think this comment from a former publicist of his sums it up...

"As someone who served as Michael Jackson's publicist during the 1st child molestation incident, I must confess I am not surprised by today's tragic news.
Michael has been on an impossibly difficult and often self-destructive journey for years. His talent was unquestionable but so too was his discomfort with the norms of the world.

A human simply can not withstand this level of prolonged stress.''
I liked this comment from a writer at The Atlantic...

Thinking About Michael

There are two things to say about him. He was a musical genius; and he was an abused child. By abuse, I do not mean sexual abuse; I mean he was used brutally and callously for money, and clearly imprisoned by a tyrannical father. He had no real childhood and spent much of his later life struggling to get one. He was spiritually and psychologically raped at a very early age - and never recovered. Watching him change his race, his age, and almost his gender, you saw a tortured soul seeking what the rest of us take for granted: a normal life.But he had no compass to find one; no real friends to support and advise him; and money and fame imprisoned him in the delusions of narcissism and self-indulgence. Of course, he bears responsibility for his bizarre life. But the damage done to him by his own family and then by all those motivated more by money and power than by faith and love was irreparable in the end. He died a while ago. He remained for so long a walking human shell.

I loved his music. His young voice was almost a miracle, his poise in retrospect eery, his joy, tempered by pain, often unbearably uplifting. He made the greatest music video of all time; and he made some of the greatest records of all time. He was everything our culture worships; and yet he was obviously desperately unhappy, tortured, afraid and alone.

I grieve for him; but I also grieve for the culture that created and destroyed him. That culture is ours' and it is a lethal and brutal one: with fame and celebrity as its core values, with money as its sole motive, it chewed this child up and spat him out.

I hope he has the peace now he never had in his life. And I pray that such genius will not be so abused again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am crushed. I absolutely LOVED Michael Jackson. One of the MOST talented people ever born! RIP Michael. We loved you around here!
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Michael Jackson never weighed over 100 lbs. in his lifetime, which might have been a factor as well. I just love some of his songs: Billie Jean, Beat it, and the Thriller album. Sad......

I think people had forgot about Jackson until now. Nobody would have ever thought that he would have been the third person to pass on in a row.
default_no.gif

Alyssa

tagalong said:
I liked this comment from a writer at The Atlantic...
Thinking About Michael

There are two things to say about him. He was a musical genius; and he was an abused child. By abuse, I do not mean sexual abuse; I mean he was used brutally and callously for money, and clearly imprisoned by a tyrannical father. He had no real childhood and spent much of his later life struggling to get one. He was spiritually and psychologically raped at a very early age - and never recovered. Watching him change his race, his age, and almost his gender, you saw a tortured soul seeking what the rest of us take for granted: a normal life.But he had no compass to find one; no real friends to support and advise him; and money and fame imprisoned him in the delusions of narcissism and self-indulgence. Of course, he bears responsibility for his bizarre life. But the damage done to him by his own family and then by all those motivated more by money and power than by faith and love was irreparable in the end. He died a while ago. He remained for so long a walking human shell.

I loved his music. His young voice was almost a miracle, his poise in retrospect eery, his joy, tempered by pain, often unbearably uplifting. He made the greatest music video of all time; and he made some of the greatest records of all time. He was everything our culture worships; and yet he was obviously desperately unhappy, tortured, afraid and alone.

I grieve for him; but I also grieve for the culture that created and destroyed him. That culture is ours' and it is a lethal and brutal one: with fame and celebrity as its core values, with money as its sole motive, it chewed this child up and spat him out.

I hope he has the peace now he never had in his life. And I pray that such genius will not be so abused again.
Excellent quote. I'm not particularly familiar with Michael's music or videos (having grown up with country music) but this sums up exactly what many of us sensed about him through his photographs and news interviews. Poor man. Whatever he did or didn't do, I hope he finds peace up there. He certainly never got any here on Earth.

Leia

Well his talent there is no question, his ability to entertain again no question. I agree that he was a very tortured soul however it is my personal belief that as sad as that is he chose to torture other souls as well.
default_shutup.gif
default_no.gif

I agree that he was a very tortured soul however it is my personal belief that as sad as that is he chose to torture other souls as well.
If anything untoward happened there - although even having kids sleep in your bed with you is waaaaay wrong - why is everyone letting the parents and families off the hook here?

Would YOU let your kid stay overnight unsupervised in an adult man's (in years, anyway) home? I wouldn't. Nor could I be "bought off" if I knew something had gone on.

I thought that at the time. I still feel that way. The parents involved used their kids as pawns, in a way.

Those situations have TWO sides that contribute to them. And that is even sadder.

I kinda like what Roger Ebert had to say...

The boy who never grew up: Michael Jackson, 1958-2009 by Roger Ebert

Michael Jackson was so gifted, so lonely, so confused, so sad. He lost happiness somewhere in his childhood, and spent his life trying to go back there and find it. When he played the Scarecrow in "The Wiz" (1978), I think that is how he felt, and Oz was where he wanted to live. It was his most truly autobiographical role. He could understand a character who felt stuffed with straw, but could wonderfully sing and dance, and could cheer up the little girl Dorothy.

We have all spent years in the morbid psychoanalysis of this strange man-child. Now that he has died we will hear it all repeated again: The great fame from an early age, the gold records, the world tours, the needy friendships, the painful childhood, Neverland, the eccentric behavior, plastic surgery, charges of child molestation, the fortunes won and lost, the generosity, the secrecy, the inexplicable marriage to Elvis's daughter, the disguises, the puzzling sexuality, the jokes, and on and on.

I never met him. My wife Chaz did, a long time ago when she was part of a dance troupe that opened some shows for the Jackson Five. What she remembers is that he was -- a kid. Talented, hard-working, but not like other kids. That's what he was, and that's what he remained. His father Joseph was known even then as a hard-driving taskmaster, and was later described by family members as physically and mentally abusive, beating the child, once holding him by a leg and banging his head on the floor. Michael confided to Oprah that sometimes he would vomit at the sight of the man.

Families are important to everyone, and to African-Americans they are the center of the universe. A census is maintained that radiates out to great-nieces and nephews, distant cousins, former spouses, honorary relatives, all the generations. Communication is maintained, birthdays remembered, occasions celebrated. Important above all are parents and grandparents. Family was a support system from a time when slave-owning America refused to recognize black families. Family was the rock.

Michael Jackson doesn't seem to have had that rock. His father seems to have driven him to create an alternate universe for himself, in which somewhere, over the rainbow, he could have another childhood. He named his ranch Neverland, after the magical land where Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up, enacted his fantasies with the Lost Boys. I wonder if we ever really understood how central that vision was to Jackson, or how literally he tried to create it.

I have no idea whether Michael abused the children he "adopted." It is possible those relationships were without sex; he seemed frozen at a time before puberty. Whether he touched them criminally or not, it is easy to see what he sought: To create, with and for these Lost Boys, a Neverland where they could imagine together the childhood he never had.

Mixed with that was perhaps a lifelong feeling of inadequacy, burned in by the cruelty of his father. That might help explain the compulsive plastic surgery, the relentless rehearsal, the exhausting tours, the purchase of expensive toys, the giving of gifts.

The scene everyone remembers from "The Wiz" is Dorothy and the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion dancing and singing down the Yellow Brick Road. They were off to see the Wizard, and a wonderful Wizard he was, because of the wonderful things he does.

In the story, the Wizard is a lonely little man hiding behind a curtain, using his power to create a wonderland. Now Michael Jackson will never be able to tell us what he was hiding behind his curtain. But because of his music, we danced and sang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tag I agree and let no one off the hook in that whole ordeal!

Latest posts

Back