Me & my German Shepherd puppy, Miss Mackenzie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Most people don't know this but for years now, I've been working with parents who have lost a child. It has taken a toll so I have had to take a step back for now. But I still want to help others in some way so I decided to use my puppy Mackenzie and put her to good use. She is every bit a working dog and for the life of me, i had to come up with something to direct her ablities and make her focus. This dog had to have a job.

There is a nursing home that is very dear to me. My mother had alzheimer's, was blind, had a five way by pass. I became unable to take care of her properly because she couldn't be left unattended for a second, and my children needed me at their school functions etc. so she went to this private nursing home where eventually she passed away. Michael would go there with his youth group from church every wednesday night to play bingo with the residents and spend time with them so I couldn't think of a better place to begin. I thought maybe Mackenzie could bring some smiles to the residents if I got a better handle on her manners so we worked a lot harder. I guess the residents were expecting a little tiny poofy lap dog so when Mackenzie marched in looking like a werewolf, they were a bit nervous at first and now they know what to expect. She was a big hit and we have been invited back for a third visit. I'm presently training her to carry a basket so she can deliver some modest little Christmas presents to them.

NOV 17 2013 023.jpg

NOV 17 2013 021.jpg

NOV 17 2013 024.jpg

That is so sweet! I know the residents there will look forward to seeing your both again!!

So sweet
default_smile.png

That is a beautiful thing for you to do with Mackenzie ! Her carrying a basket is a good idea and I think it would make her "look" more friendly, or put a pink bow on her. I am kind of weary of shepherds myself having been bite by one when I was young.

Marty, Bless you for socializing and raising a sane and well behaved superdog. You are doing a great job and I am sure the nursing home will look forward to your visits for years to come. Shepherds hold a very special place in my heart. I am sure Mackenzie will take to her new job training of holding a basket like she has learned everything else. Shepherds love a job to do. they actually have quite a sense of humor too as I am sure you are finding out. Thanks for sharing. Keep those stories and photos coming. best wishes

Marty, this is such a wonderful thing you are doing for the older folks at the nursing home!!!! I am sure that your visits with Mackenzie is the bright spot in their day especially at this time of year when so many of them get depressed. The idea of her caring a basket with some little presents is so nice as well and they will be thrilled with their present from Mackenzie!!!

I am retired now but I took my kindergarten class to a local nursing home every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We would put on a short play for them, "The Pilgrim/Native American" story and "The Night Before Christmas". We always brought some hand made craft for them to decorate their rooms. The children loved it as well and it was a great lesson on giving back to our elders!! What a great feeling it was for me too as I am sure you can feel every time you visit! Keep up the great work you are doing!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back