Is This Too Good To Be True?? A Vaccine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shminifancier

Reaction score
Dr. Roger Lloyd, a zoologist in Jacksonville, FL., is a member of the governing board of the American Chinese Veterinary Medical Frontiers, Inc., a corporation which has brought the EIA vaccine to the US for testing. According to Dr. Lloyd, preliminary tests run in China have demonstrated the vaccine to be effective against the American strain of EIA as well as the virulent Chinese strain.

We could be using this vaccine?? Instead of doing the coggins testing all the time??

Coggins tests IMO are a Huge racket for both the state and the others involved. I hope that there Is a vaccine for the 3 horses out there who some how manage to be exposed ( A case of which I haven't heard of in about 7 years). However I would Much rather Draw blood, then have my horse subjected to yet another vaccine.
rolleyes.gif
IMO here though. It costs about the same as most vaccines do, and besides then what would be have to bring to shows??
wink.gif

Whitney -- (Spotted Pony Girl) -- This is off topic, but I LOVE the horse in your avatar!

Tell us about her?him?

MA

Well you see things then would have to change..Like stop coggins testing all together IF THE Horse has been vaccinated~! And The coggins test is just a snapshot in time, No way of telling that the next very day the animal did not pick up EIA~! And then not being tested for another 12 months or so could spread it around without even knowing until the next coggins was pulled..That is why if this IS true we as horse people should be getting the word out about a vaccine..

spotted pony girl said:
Coggins tests IMO are a Huge racket for both the state and the others involved. I hope that there Is a vaccine for the 3 horses out there who some how manage to be exposed ( A case of which I haven't heard of in about 7 years). However I would Much rather Draw blood, then have my horse subjected to yet another vaccine. 
rolleyes.gif
  IMO here though. It costs about the same as most vaccines do, and besides then what would be have to bring to shows??
wink.gif

494319[/snapback]

EIA isn't common anymore because of testing but outbreaks do still happen. There were parts of Michigan with cases just a couple of years ago and also a herd of Mustangs in Utah.

Sounds like this vaccine is still in the development and testing stages. Since EIA is like horsey AIDS I would expect much more testing will need to be done before the USDA would approve it. Unlink WNV, EIA isn't exactly spreading across the country like wildfire so there is no reason for USDA to fast track any vaccine for it.

It would be nice though as much as people have to spend on getting coggins papers on all their horses. A vaccine would be less costly to every horse owner.

Not necessarily..... I pay a whole whopping $13.50 for coggins tests per horse per year and most vaccines would cost that (at least to begin with) and most vaccines need to be boostered at least once a year......

If the vaccine comes out, wouldn't you still have to have proof that your horse has had it before entering a sale or a show?

Food for thought?

Freida

I would rather vaccinate for something that if they do come up + for, is a death sentence. Its one thing to not vaccinate for WNV, they can get over that. If they get EIA there are some pretty impossible restrictions on how they can live and are usually destroyed. Last I heard at least.

I think that most Pharm Co's are rackets. All the money they charge and they havent cured a single thing in what, 3 decades? No money in a cure. BIG money in the prevention or treatment.

Oh did you hit that nail square on the head..Big money just dragging things out rather then finding a cure (vaccine)

Pepipony said:
I would rather vaccinate for something that if they do come up + for, is a death sentence.    Its one thing to not vaccinate for WNV, they can get over that.  If they get EIA there are some pretty impossible restrictions on how they can live and are usually destroyed.  Last I heard at least.
  I think that most Pharm Co's are rackets.  All the money they charge and they haven't cured a single thing in what, 3 decades?  No money in a cure.  BIG money in the prevention or treatment.

494875[/snapback]

I am one that thinks it would be great if there were a vaccine for EIA. I'm simply not a fan of the coggins test, and we certainly can't get a coggins test done for $13.50 here! Here it is $20 for the test plus $15 for the courier fee, plus $5 for the vet to pull the blood. That's $40 for 1 horse. Since the courier pack will hold 4 samples, if we do 4 horses at once it's a total of $115, "only" $28.75 per horse. Then of course there is the mileage fee on top of that, $40 for our vet to come here--making it $80 to do one horse or $38.75 each to do 4 at once. I'm guessing a vaccine would be cheaper.

Latest posts

Back