Is there an animal, pet, that can help with snakes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn,

If you need a couple of kitties that are great hunters I have 3 kittens from this spring!! They were born early spring so plenty old enough to go and they hunt all the time!!
default_smile.png
I will even deliver them!!! lol

Guinea hens are supposed to kill mice and snakes. We had some and they were very noisy and didn't make a dent in the mouse population. So we got cats. We have no mice and no snakes. The mice were so bad they would sit and wait for me to feed. We have 5 barn cats and they go to the neighbors to hunt since there is nothing here. Then we got a feral cat that has taken up residency inside our house since the 4th of July. I have petted her twice and tried to pick her up to take her down to spay. Nothing doing. We have a cat in our house we can not catch. But still no mice or snakes or lizards or anything that may crawl around.

We have some guineas and I really like them. They can be noisy, but they are good alarms if something is wrong. They eat ticks and will alert to snakes and will often kill them.

Some feral cats hang around our hay barn and I believe they are very good about hunting for vermin and snakes.

Luckily these animals seem to have kept snakes away. Knock on wood!!!!!!!!

Turkey's also are good at getting rid of snakes. My Father's family farm back when in Green Mountain, NC... they used Turkeys to take care of the snakes.

They are also a lot more quiet than Guineas.

So will chickens for that matter, we don't have poisonous snakes here but they do eat the Garder snakes and lizards here.

Is something I worry about when I finally get over to VA though. Sigh

Jack Russells lol. We had two, both great snakers although they have both been bitten too (and survived). The funniest was an old cocker spaniel we used to have - he was a very quiet, easy going little dog until he saw a snake, and he would just go nuts over it. He never got bitten but he sure alerted us to a number of snakes. I have 6 barn kitties who do a great job on mice but I've never seen them with a snake.

Jan

Good to know about the turkeys being good for taking care of the snakes. We actually acquired three from our friends a month ago. They are not very noisy, just not so pretty to look at!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back