Is it safe to bathe?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supercilious

Reaction score
I have a 5 yr old maiden mare who appears ready to foal any day, she is bagged up and foal is very active, she is spending a lot of time laying down and getting cranky. I bought her bred and was only told she was due March or April.....She is shedding like crazy and super itchy! Would it be OK to give her a bath or should I wait until after she foals? It is in the 70's and 80's here temp wise, expecting 90's next week....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why it would hurt her. I'd wait till we had one of the warm warm days. Of course I think we got up to 80 here today, int he mnts. LOL

Totally fine, and the mare will probably be happier for it afterwards.

My suggestion would be a nice grooming with a shedding blade then clip her tummy area and around her bag-any area where a newborn might get some of the loose hair that is shedding off.Then a bath should be ok but get lots of that excess hair off first.It will make the drying process much shorter.Please post photos when the baby comes.I am no longer breeding and have to get my foal fix from here.

Thanks guys, I am planning on bathing her Saturday since they are predicting 92 as a high. I brushed her really good today and washed between her udder with a warm wash cloth and man was she in heaven lol

I am so anxious for this baby! 28" smokey black tobiano sire x 30" cremello dam

Use warm water, even if it is hot out (and I SO hate you right now....it is cold and it is raining and I cannot even think about washing my horses...)

I am so tempted to wash Pippin today because it's been 90 for the past two days and was the same today but knowing Arizona it will be back down to 40 tomorrow if I wash him. Dang bipolar state!

lol you could of done it today! It got really warm up to 90. I also give mine the momma clips as I call them, and clip part of the belly and around the bag and stuff. Esp this time of the year, when they all are shedding.

I couldn't do it today because I was in town all day! lol

I am loving this weather, if the wind will just lay low lol My sinus' are a mess! All stopped up and sore throat to boot.

No wind here really to speak of so it was nice. But I hear ya on the sinus stuff. My allergies have been raging for about 2 weeks. Good old W Texas spring. LOL

Back