Is anyone using Remission?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
We have used Quiessence for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. With the economy being tight we are looking for anywhere we can streamline. Remission is a little cheaper than Quiessence BUT I refuse to buy anything manufactured in China. I found the location for AniMed (Kentucky) but I'm wondering if it is actually manufactured there.

Has anyone had any reactions in their horses to Remission? It seems to have a little higher levels of some components.

And just a side note, we have a very chubby little mare here that belongs to my father in law. We have tried giving her just small amounts of Born to Win and hay as recommended by Purina and UF, tried small amounts of oats and hay as recommended by our vet and consistently given her quiessence. We finally resigned ourselves to her just continuing to being

'fluffy'. Then we started her on the cinnamon regimen mentioned here. She is finally losing weight.

Ruth

I use Remission with great results. No adverse reactions. I have no idea where it is manufactured though, sorry.
default_smile.png

I have been using Remission for about a year and my container says it is manufactured by AHC Products, Winchester, KY. www.animedproducts.com.

My mare is slightly insulin resistent and has a heavy crest, but is NOT overweight. I didn't see any real change in anything (except her attitude - see below) with the Remission and I have actually reduced her dose to almost nothing. I hate to stop it complete and then have her founder. What I have done instead is get all my hay tested and set aside the hay with the lowest NSC level for her. The hay also has quite a bit of Magnesium, so another reason to cut back on the Remission. She is a show mare (does ALL the performance events and halter) so she needs grain and gets Blue Seal Carb Guard. It was not easy figuring out this diet, but I have never seen her look or act this good. I think the Remission was being a little too efficient at quieting her down, which she does not need at all. Especially when showing. And as I said, she isn't fat and it was even hard to get weight over her back when on the full dose of Remission. So I guess it all depends on your horse and what you are trying to accomplish.

Some of ours get Remission without any bad side effects.

As for cinnamon, ours don't like it at all. What do you do to get them to get used to the taste. Do you disguise it in something?

Ruth-

How much cinnamon are you giving per day? It's amazing to me that cinnamon will help take weight off.

Barbie

I am using it for one; have been for about 6 months now, and am pleased with what I see as benefits. She IS calmer, and that is a benefit to HER, because she is a neurotic mare, who seems to 'stress out' easily. She gets quite upset if the other horses go 'out of her sight', sucks her own tongue-briefly, but frequently, when in a situation that is stressful to her. She would be a stall 'weaver' if confined to a stall(which she ISN'T, for that very reason!) She is neither 'cresty' nor overweight, but did have what appeared to be a laminitis issue. I also made some changes to her diet, and she seems to be doing well.

I plan to continue to give it to her; I see no ill effects, only benefits, and it is quite reasonable in price.

Margo

Isn't the Remission product a pellet like Quiessence? I sprinkle the recommended tbs. over their am & pm meals of strategy.

In regards to the cinnamon, I sprinkle 1 tsp over about 1 cup strategy in the AM for the overweight mare. Then in the afternoon I do the same in the same dish that has not been rinsed in between. If there is any residue of cinnamon it is absorbed when I put the very soupy (mostly juice for her) beet pulp mixture in later in the day. She did not like it much at first but is such a piggy that she can't resist it now.

Isn't the Remission product a pellet like Quiessence? I sprinkle the recommended tbs. over their am & pm meals of strategy.
Remission is a granular powder and it does take a little time for them to get used to it.

It seems to be helping my laminitic mare; about a month after I started using it, the bruised look to her soles had diminished significantly and they have only gotten better since beginning using it. Its cheap enough that I'm not going to take her off it to verify whether it was just time or if the Remission helped her so much.

We bought Remission this fall to give to 2 horses, and have now put 6 or 7 on it--at least for awhile--I have one mare that could/should go on it to see if it will quiet her down some but I haven't started her on it yet. I was surprised--when we first used it there wasn't one of the horses that refused to eat it, or even hesitated or made faces when they tasted it. We just mix it into their oats with a bit of water to make it stick to the oats instead of the pan. Normally some of them are very fussy about supplements, but they all seem to like the Remission.

Latest posts

Back