Introduction and questions :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsrascal

Reaction score
Hello Mini world,

I am re-introducing myself and my new mini to the forum. I am Tiffany and I live in sunny FL. I am a "big horse" lover and judge that has been captivated by mini's now not once, but twice!

Funny story about how I went to a mini tack swap to help a friend lift heavy stuff and ended up buying a mini. Yep... that's the story. LOL this is my weanling mini colt "Zorro". Feel free to critique him!

543279_3101076085912_176529614_n.jpg

A few questions.

Who makes good quality, blingy, arab style show halters? And the same for performance halters?

Any tips for showing or "trends" to be aware of?

Thanks!

He is a handsome little guy!! How old is he in the picture? Love the "Z"!!

Welcome to minis and to the Lil Beginnings forum!
default_saludando.gif

Love your colt!!!
default_yes.gif

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't answer your questions. Just wanted to say that he is gorgeous and adorable! Just love him!

Lois

First I want to say welcome and I Love your colt (and his Z)

Ozark Mountain has some nice halters http://minitack.com/haltersh.htm

and BKM & Victor halters are real nice. http://victorcustomtack.com/halters.html

Minis have captivated most of us, I am also from a full size horse background trail riding and gymkana (sp?)

since 1972

We fell for our first mini in 2003 and we try to stay small but they are so addictive. We only have 8 right now

Another welcome from Maryland! That boy is gorgeous!

Thanks everyone!

He was about 3 weeks old in the picture I believe. He is now 8 months and in his winter woolies, other than a head/neck clip. He's a pretty quiet guy and he tries hard to please.

I'm hoping to show him in a little bit of halter here and there until he grows up, but because I can't show amateur it will be for fun. His greatest job will be hanging out with my daughter (she's 1).

Welcome to minis and the forum. Love your colt and especially the clip job!!! Before you get show halters with "bling" be sure to read the rules of the association. (I can't believe I just said that to a judge!). For example, in Pinto, where your colt would qualify for registry, in hunter over fences you must use a PLAIN LEATHER halter. No nylon, no bling.

Thanks targetsmom -

I did know that but there is no pain in mentioning it anyway! I am looking to buy a weanling halter for him for the spring, but I am not sure whether to show him in a western or arab type halter. He's gotten kind of stocky since that picture (I think, I haven't clipped him yet and he has a ton of hair)

I am not sure I would buy a halter for him yet, and not a weanling one for next spring. For example, the filly in my avatar just got moved up a halter size today as the red halter was getting tight. Some of that is hair of course!! (Another hint is to keep feeling through the hair over the winter as you really can't tell if they are losing or gaining weight just by looking).

For halter classes I would show him in an "Arab" style halter (or a Victor style, and you can actually still get them from Mr. Victor). That style makes most heads look the best and is the style for halter. For other classes I tend to use a plain black leather halter because I know it is allowed everywhere. I would use a western one in western showmanship.

Welcome! I'm new here too, (since last week) and I love it! And I bet you're going to love it here too--What a handsome foal you have there! =)

Thanks - I'm still figuring my way around the boards

Welcome from sunny Southern California! Your little one is beautiful!!!!

Liz N.

Very nice colt, congratulations! Mini Express, Ozark Mtn Tack, Supreme Equine Design, Showtime Tack... I'm probably leaving out someone.

Jan

Thanks for the halter suggestions, I am hot on a lead for a used victor, we will see where it goes!

What color would you guys consider him? He is out of a blue roan (true roan) mare and by a sorrel pinto stallion, neither show silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a DARLING baby and darling picture! I love his 'Z'.

I see you have a lot of good shopping suggestions so I'll just give an opinion on his color...black. That clipped off baby hair can be tricky, but I don't see anything other than black. And pinto markings too of course. and gorgeous, my favorite color.

Oh, and welcome from the center of the USA! (Oklahoma)

Latest posts

Back