Intro with Pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyFriendFlicker

Reaction score
Hi all! We are just getting settled on the small ranch we bought last month, to finally be settled folk who don't move every two years. We have a lot of work to do on the place, but it's a good start, as it was owned by a quarter horse breeder/trainer that moved out of the area.

We just bought our first mini. His name is Flicker and he's a 7 yr old gelding. He's registered with AMHR, but with missing papers, I'm told. We were looking for a riding pony for our three year old son, but Flicker is really a family pet and perhaps a ranch mascot.
default_smile.png
Mr. Flicker is the most loving, affectionate little guy and has made very fast friends with my husband. (Which is an enormous blessing!! My husband is an animal lover of all sorts, but is a little uncomfortable with horses. Flicker has turned him straight around in three days time!)

He was "broke to ride" by an well-meaning but unknowledgeable family and kept in a grassless backyard, fed hay and sweet feed. Flicker is familiar with a saddle and bit, but unhappy with a bit, I was told. I said I wanted to see just how resistant he was, please, so that I could see how much retraining we had to do. Well, they went and got a nylon bridle that was huge and attached was a fairly severe large pony sized curb bit. As the owner clunked it over his teeth, not ever getting it place, I cringed and could see why he balked at being bridled. He was being ridden by their slight 6 yr old (maybe 40 lbs) and ...
default_sad.png
by their 11 yr old...
default_no.gif
and occasionally by their 15 yr old niece whom we were told is 130 lbs.

He has these funny slices in his winter coat. I am not sure what caused it, but it looks just like the hair was cut away in a line, halfway down the hair shaft. There is no skin damage or anything...like some kids decided to start 'grooming' him.

Flicker needs some guidance as he tries to run us (but not our son) over on the leadline and is otherwise a bit pushy. But, with time and good work, he'll be as nicely mannered as he is lovable, I'm sure. We're hoping to work with him on some driving work and helping my son learn to be a good, kind little horseman.

I'm sure I've left out lots of good details...but...here are the photos:

:DOH! Don't mind the rope halter....the halter I bought him is too small and I wasn't able to get to town again Saturday. All the decent shots are on my desktop, so this is all I have here.

Flicker3.jpg

Flicker2.jpg

Flicker1.jpg

It sounds as if you have some horse knowledge which is a head start!

Congratulations on your new ranch and Flicka!

[SIZE=12pt]welcome
default_biggrin.png
, very cute pictures...sounds like the slices out of his coat could be from other horses or even himself biting? again, welcome from NY, Nikki
[/SIZE]

Oh my gosh they are adorable!!
default_wub.png
Flicker and your son!! I love the pic of your son leading him!!
default_wub.png

Priceless
default_yes.gif

Hi and welcome here from Spotsylvania, Virginia
bye.gif

Flicker reminds me a lot of my own silver bay gelding, Sunny
default_wub.png

Congrats on the farm purchase and opportunity to stay in one place a bit
default_yes.gif

Welcome to the forum from Southwestern Ontario and I loved your pictures.

That is a very handsome boy
default_biggrin.png

Hi and welcome here from Spotsylvania, Virginia
bye.gif

Flicker reminds me a lot of my own silver bay gelding, Sunny
default_wub.png

On that note, what the heck color is this guy? You can see his color pretty well in the photos, except that he also has a dun stripe which extends into the top of his tail a little. He's in rough cosmetic shape, but I think he's going to be really pretty under it all come spring.

maplegum, yes I have experience with horses, but never minis. I grew up with them and spent my high school time working at an arabian barn and exercising the horses for another family. Outside of those jobs, I primarily rode thoroughbreds, and hunter crosses, fox hunting in PA with my dad. I didn't get to do a lot of it, but it was great fun. I have a pretty thorough knowledge of horses, but I have plenty of gaps to fill in, as well, having never owned my own horses before. (My husband and I are in aviation and have always been moving frequently, so have had to put off owning our own big critters. We've had a Brittany, a cat and ferrets all along, though. However, this was a very calculated move and we don't ever plan to move again, if life goes somewhat according to 'plan.' We've got 20 cross-fenced acres to play on here, so we're thrilled.)

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
On that note, what the heck color is this guy? You can see his color pretty well in the photos, except that he also has a dun stripe which extends into the top of his tail a little. He's in rough cosmetic shape, but I think he's going to be really pretty under it all come spring.

thrilled.)
Flicker is silver bay / silver bay dun. My silver bay gelding is also a silver bay with a dorsal stripe. They do remind me a lot of each other and not just in color. This is my silver bay boy's page: Tibbs Sundowner (HOF)

What a lucky little "cowboy" is this cute boy to have a best friend already after the move..Welcome! And pictures please of your ranch.

Merry Christmas, Maxine

Sunny is just gorgeous!! I don't imagine Flicker has nearly that much good looks under his winter fluff.

We're all totally in love with Flicker, he's such a sweety. Now to make sure my husband doesn't let him pick up any bad habits with all the gooeyness and spoiling.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back