Intranasal vaccines?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetheart

Reaction score
Hi!

On another thread someone mentioned intranasal vaccines. How do they work? I'm assuming that there are no needles involved? I sure would love to get away from needles! I hate giving shots. Has anyone used intranasal vaccines and where did you buy them? Are they as effective as the injectable ones?

[SIZE=14pt]The only one available that I know of is the Strangles intranasal. Thats what my horses get.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I think the only one made that way is the Strangles vaccine and we have had given by our vet.

MA

In addition to the Strangles, there's also an intranasal flu vaccine. Both are quite effective in my experience. Giving IN vaccines is a bit tricky. You attach a long tube to the end of your syringe, and then you have to stick it up the horse's nose really quickly and release the contents of the syringe once the tube is fully up the nose. It's pretty tricky at first, and if you're not careful, you can spray the vaccine all over, which is not good with a live vaccine! Also, most horses really hate it! It's best to ask your vet for a demonstration on how to give one. Once you learn how,though, it's really not that big of a deal.

For those of us who don't like giving needles these are great.................I have only used the one for strangles with full sized horses. No problems at all not even with our young one or with the old man (almost thirty) who hadn't had any needles before he came to us. No side effects.........which was surprising as the old guy had some unusual allergies.

Hi Allisa, good to see you here. I'm sure Elgin would have the intranasal - I've gotten it from vets around here, have given it myself sometimes and as stated, it's easy to get it sprayed everywhere but up their noses. Just have to be really quick. :bgrin

Jan

I have used the intranasal strep/strangles ever since they came on the market, about 6-7 years. Injected they can have quite a reaction at the injection site. The straw that comes with the vaccine if good for the big horses as you need to get way up there but don't use it with the minis. I stick the syringe up their nose and shoot it in. Much easier and you don't have it spraying everywhere.

Absorbsion through mucus membranes is as effective as injectable.

The straw that comes with the vaccine if good for the big horses as you need to get way up there but don't use it with the minis. I stick the syringe up their nose and shoot it in. Much easier and you don't have it spraying everywhere.
Great idea! I've wondered if the straw was really necessary, doesn't go all the way in anyway on a mini.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jan

... It's pretty tricky at first, and if you're not careful, you can spray the vaccine all over, which is not good with a live vaccine! Also, most horses really hate it! It's best to ask your vet for a demonstration on how to give one. Once you learn how,though, it's really not that big of a deal.
I thought the intranasel strangles was a great idea--at first. However, I have found that many vets won't give it and quite a few ranches and farms around here have banned it from their premises completely, especially breeding operations. As was explained to me there have been outbreaks of stangles linked to the same strain as the modified live vaccine being given so if it's handled carelessly there is the potential to make a lot of horses sick unnessarily. As much as I hate the strangles intramuscular, I will stick with it for now if I have to take my horses places where they might be exposed to it.

The two vets in our area differ in opinion of the intranasal vaccine. One flat out refuses to give it, saying that the risk of infecting the horse with it is greater than the risk of getting the disease. (it is rare up here)

The other will give it, but is extremely careful - gives any other vaccines first, and then the IN last thing so there is a lessened risk of accidental contamination.

I don't know about strangles vaccine as I have never given it.

But my vet suggested and used the intranasal rhino/flu and it sure saved the sore necks. She uses a very small tube and threads it up into their nose quickly. No one seemed to mind too much. But then, she knows what she's doing!

Latest posts

Back