Interesting question from my brother

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanch

Reaction score
As I was preparing my beet pulp in the kitchen my brother asked me why I rinse off the beet pulp??? I respond that the horse likes it better warm.

He throws me a tough one in asking that, since the water I rinse off is brown, aren't I washing away some of the nutrient??? I don't use beet pulp with molassas, but it always comes off with brown water.

SOO, are we rinsing away some of the nutrients from the beet pulp??

I don't rinse my beet pulp. Beet pulp is supposed to be SOAKED and then fed. Not rinsed. That said, you would have to collect the run off from the rinsing and have it tested to see if you are loosing any nutrients.

I don't rinse my BP, just soak it and feed it water and all.

I soak and feed water and all theres been a couple of times where i have added to much water to a feed (not just the beet) and i go to drain some and i think ohhh beter not there might be some goodies in there lol goodness knows if there is just my way of thinking :p i add a little bit more chaff if its to wet

We feed it very wet so the horses have to drink the water to finish their meals. It helps keep them hydrated especially on a long trailer ride. We feed on the trailer and have it all just floating. We never rinsed it, just feed it with all the water possible.

My horses prefer there BP to be a sloppy mess.
default_biggrin.png
especially in winter when it is so cold out, almost like a warm mash for them. I do let it expand completely before I am feeding it. I would never feed it dry and I have never rinsed it off.

Ditto to all the above -- I serve it as a sloppy gruel, warm in winter, to keep them hydrated. They love it and slurp away!

Except for the time I was doing a test with the Teff Hay I always feed my beet pulp 1 cup dry beet pulp to 2 cups water (hot in the winter and cold in the summer). They love it and you can hear them slerping up the extra water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am feeding a horse on a low carb diet here and I rinse and drain his beet pulp. That "brown water" is sugar and starch and not necessarily a good thing for some horses. It is not necessary to soak beet pulp but a lot of people do as it is an easy way to ensure hydration.

I rinse off beet pulp for one mare as she is on a low starch diet. Everyone else gets their beet pulp as is, soaked and sloppy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back