Interesting article

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Article. Thanks!

(Written at a level I understood!
default_smile.png
)

-Becky

Mini Thanks Becky for bringing attention to this very interesting article!!

As a breeder for the champagne miniatures, I enjoyed it..

Jeannie

Carolyn Shepard of the ICHR has an article that I believe will be in the next Miniature Horse Showcase that goes in to great detail on champagne in Miniature Horses.
default_yes.gif
:

The article in "The Horse" has several errors and was a press release produced by an organization that registers non-champagnes as champagne. :no:

The article in "The Horse" has several errors and was a press release produced by an organization that registers non-champagnes as champagne. :no:

Can you tell us what the "errors" are ??

Would it be possible to keep the back-biting nasty champagne politics OFF this forum, PLEASE?
default_yes.gif
:

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with genetics. There are serious errors in that article!

When it comes to colors and patterns, sometimes I think you have to almost make up your own mind as to what is true and what is not, especially when there is no test avaliable.

When I first started in minis, and was using a lot of overos and/or overo background, I was told just about everything under the sun. I researched and found 4 different people with a lot of background in overos.

All 4 of them were telling me different things, some small things, but still different. EACH one of them were very sure they were correct and the others were wrong. As a newer person at the time, how in the world do I decide who is wrong and who has the correct, actual information? Each one of these folks would have faught to their death the info they were giving was the RIGHT info.

I have seen the same with color, time and time again.

So I read all I can get my hands on, pay attention to info given using test results that are avaliable, and the rest I go by what I have seen to be true, but keep all the other information at hand for reference.

After all, if there is no test,,,,,,,,,who is to say, who is right???

I say we learn what we can, from any information made avaliabe to us. I am not sure of the errors here, but still found the article interesting and maybe I picked up a thing or two.

I agree with you Carolyn. It seems like everytime there is a new genetic test available and we all start testing, we have to relearn what we thought we knew.

That has certainly been the case for me with the new silver gene. Horses that we had learned over the years were silver's by their diluted coat and grey hairs in their mane and tail, turned out to be sabinos, no silver.

It has been a huge learning curve for me in the last few months. I know several people that deny whatever the new test is, is accurate.

Once there is a champane test we will no doubt learn more and some theories will be put to rest.

Champagne test is in the making, but since it is a dominant treat, (so you have to have a champagne parent!), and it shows on all base colors, (chestnut, black and bay), you can tell quite sure without the test too.

Pink skinned and blue eyed at birth are very good signs if they come from a champagne parent.
default_wink.png
:

And you can always ask an opinion for FREE true http://www.ichregistry.com/

You don´t have to be a member to ask her opinion, she just loves to document every champagne bloodline to be found!
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back